Knife sharpening kits

Discussion in 'Other Skills' started by Jeffa, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Jeffa

Jeffa Scout

Blog Posts:
    Is anyone using knife sharpening kits. I've always done it free hand, but I would really like to get that polished edge on my cary knives so I can just strop them in the field. Well and why not have good sharp knives.

2. Primordial

Primordial MOA #40 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I use a Smith's kit that comes with guide rods and a jig, but I bought it for the nice stones that go on the rods. they ave good hand holds and I just freehand with them. When I do my final passes on the hard Arkansas stone I get a nice polished edge. If you freehand you should get a nice polished edge with a hard natural stone too.

Jeffa, field-expedient and Bush Billy like this.
  3. BradGad

BradGad Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Paulyseggs and Jeffa like this.
  4. Luke Dupont

Luke Dupont Scout

Blog Posts:
    I don't like jigs and the like; they're too limiting and/or bulky / gimmicky. It's faster and easier to just use a combination of stones and a strop -- this way, I can sharpen any tool anyway I wish, be it a knife, hatchet, chisel, gouge, awl, fishook, etc. etc, and I can sharpen them at any angle or geometry I want -- Otherwise, I'm limited to one angle, one stone, and one (or only a few) kinds of tools that I can sharpen.

At home, I have all manner of oilstones and waterstones, but in the field I just carry a thin 1"x4" diamond stone and an Arkansas stone or two of the same dimensions, or, if I'm carrying an axe, I may carry a larger pocket sized Arkansas stone that I like. I usually just strop on my belt when I'm out, but I might make a dedicated strop at some point. It takes no time at all to touch up and strop the edge. That's part of why I use the Arks: they leave very shallow scratches which are super easy to refine on bare leather without compound, hence I can use my belt as a strop. The other reason being that they don't need presoaking, and aren't fragile like many synthetic waterstones. Also no need to worry about oiling your knife or preventing rust if you use an oil stone.

Usually, I don't find I need a mirror polished edge in the field unless I'm doing really fine carving, but, if I think I will want that, I might carry a small Soft Ark pared with a Black / Translucent. Otherwise, I usually just carry a Hard (White) which is inbetween the two, and still able to easily get rid of the scratches left by the diamond plate.

All that said though, I guess I much prefer flexibility over specialization and convenience. I like to do a lot of different things, and carry a lot of different tools, so I just want a flexible sharpening kit that can do it all.

Spork and Jeffa like this.
  5. field-expedient

field-expedient Misfit Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I just use a whetstone, only go as fine as 600 grit or so. I don't strop, never been able to maintain anything with just a strop. In the field things get dinged up and dull so I like to carry a stone that can handle fixing up something in bad shape if need be.

I don't have any blades that are very expensive or pretty so they don't need any polishing or special sharpening equipment . A small pocket whetstone can take care of all my sharpening needs.

Gear can become a crutch, I would stay in practice freehand

Remember, right now, there is a kid running around barefooted in the jungle somewhere, he sharpens his blades on a rock and he can out "bushcraft" all of us.

6. Jeffa

Jeffa Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thank you guys! I'll just stick with my freehand the . It worked since u was a kid. I will invest in some quality stones.

buckfynn, Luke Dupont and krflol like this.
  7. krflol

krflol Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I use a Ken onion worksharp at home. Usually have the edge guides off and freehand it. Skandi can be achieved by placing something flat behind the belt, though I do prefer convex. Field maintenance with a small diamond whetstone, though it usually takes a few outings for my sharps to start losing edge anyway.

8. DomC

DomC Retired Old Scrub Stomper Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Spyderco's Sharpmaker kit is one that I've owned for many years. It's a great kit to keep at home because of it's weight. I also have had the original Worksharp since I bought it at Northern Tool circa 2014-15.
    A Worksharp Field Sharpener is in a fanny pack which I stow in my vehicle.
    Dominick..........

Swampdog likes this.
  9. Shortcut

Shortcut Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Recently got a KME knife sharpening set up. I have been nothing but happy since I got it.

10. Stags Crest

Stags Crest Crafty McBushcraft Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've got a kit given to me by a friend. It came from his old job of polishing metal bearings and has several small stones and one diamond infused rubber piece for polishing that works wonders! 15628529544262909240004270490645.jpg

Luke Dupont and deckard313 like this.
  11. chndlr04

chndlr04 roughian #2 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have a guided lansky deluxe and it didn’t work for me.

Now I use a worksharp field sharpener and it works great. Looking at the worksharp pocketsharpener now

12. PMSteve

PMSteve Old Timey Outdoorsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Until I purchased my KO Work Sharp belt sharpener, the best one I owned (and still do) is the Spyderco Sharpmaker.

The Sharpmaker comes in its own pouch and can be carried in a ruck very easily, or just taken apart and carry one of the ceramic rods by itself.

The Work Sharp is electric and needs a power supply and a bench, counter top or table to use. I use mine for a bi-annual touch up of my using knives and kitchen blades. It does put a mean scary edge on just about any knife, but the time and effort to get it out, set it up and do the work makes it a project in itself.

Steve

Luke Dupont likes this.
  13. Nathan H

Nathan H Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have the Lansky deluxe set It gives my knifes a wicked sharp edge.

Since buying it I have learnt to free hand sharpen, But i'm not at the stage where I'm willing to part with my lansky system
    I have an old leather belt that I've cut and covered in different stropping compounds and mounted them to some scraps of ply wood.

I have various Grits of sand paper glued to some glass and that's what I prefer to use at the minute

Paulyseggs and Luke Dupont like this.
  14. Luke Dupont

Luke Dupont Scout

Blog Posts:
    Is that little white speckled stone a Washita?
    (Washitas are soft, quick cutting, vintage stones that are highly prized because they aren't made any more, and they leave an amazingly fine edge for their grit -- noticeably faster than a soft ark while being simultaneously finer)

Stags Crest likes this.
  15. Stags Crest

Stags Crest Crafty McBushcraft Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Those are actually all stones made for fine tuning metal ball bearings! Not a clue as to what they are made of but man do they work well on knives!

16. MAD Punty

MAD Punty Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I sharpen all my stuff freehand.

I have a Worksharp belt sharpener, which is awesome if you really need to sharpen a dull knife....but it has been making the rounds amongst my friends...I haven't seen it in 2 years. They love it. I'll probably never see it again.

Paulyseggs likes this.
  17. riokid87

riokid87 Scout Banned

Blog Posts:
    Gatco sharpener is a good jig.
    You can get the guide and diamond stones about $15 each on Amazon. Probably only need a fine diamond stone and the 1200 grit polishing stone if you are after that mirror cutting bevel. The non diamond stones are good too but if you have scandi edges or real hard alloy steel best use a stone that stays flat.
    You will also benefit by making a strop. Flat hardwood board, glue on fabric like a sheet (some use denim), rub in some green chromium oxide paste and strop away. For a convex edge put something like a mouse pad between board and fabric.
    I have also loaded a thin piece of cardboard like from a cereal box to strop, but it doesn't last long.

18. Oldyeller

Oldyeller Tracker

Blog Posts:
    At home I use a Smiths tri stone set, then finish it with a strop loaded with polishing compound.In the field I keep a Worksharp field sharpener with me, I store it in a Maxpedition Beefy pouch with a mini Maglite, multi tool, etc.