Knives / Tools: How Many Do You Bring?

Discussion in 'General Bushcraft Discussion' started by Luke Dupont, Aug 26, 2019.

1. CoolBreeze135

CoolBreeze135 Scholarly Woodsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    2-3.

A knife, a mini folding saw, and usually an SAK (because multitools are just too useful sometimes).

I usually want all my tools to weigh less than a pound total. Often significantly less.

mill321, CosmicJoke, Kona9 and 4 others like this.
  2. burlybear

burlybear Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    A lot as I’m still new again and don’t possess/forgotten much knowledge.

M.Hatfield and gohammergo like this.
  3. Kona9

Kona9 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    One pound is a good challenge. I think I'd be happy if I can keep all my tools under two pounds.

M.Hatfield and goon like this.
  4. rhino on INGO

rhino on INGO Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    rhino approves of this message.

66drifter and M.Hatfield like this.
  5. rhino on INGO

Blog Posts:

We may be related. I don't know the exact number of blades I have on me at any given time. No one believes unless they've witnessed a pocket dump (usually only happens for force-on-force training or when someone specifically asks to see everything I am carrying).

I've received the "why" questions from people who don't know me well many times. The best answer for me is "because I want to do it and I can."

Yeah, we're probably related. Brothers from different mothers.

6. RIVERGUN

RIVERGUN Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Too many , considering my everyday carry of a barkriver bravo edc elmax , leatherman wave and rat2 folder. Don't backpack any more but day hikes add a large fixed blade. Most of my overnighters now consist of kayaking so I will add a folding saw ,norlund hatchet and folding fillet knife. Don't forget the CRKT blunt tip bear claw lashed to my pfd or the byrd caracara 2 in its pocket. They all get used ,except I hope to never have to use the last two for what they are made for.

M.Hatfield and fishiker like this.
  7. Prairiewolf

Prairiewolf Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I think that a lot of us don't get to get out to the boonies as much as we would like, so when we do, we take more blades than we need to do chores that are done. Personally, there are always blades that are either (1) new or (2) haven't used for a while- that go along just to get a bit of woods time. If a knife gets to the point that it never qualifies for the second group, it gets sold or given away.

chndlr04, Black5, M.Hatfield and 4 others like this.
  8. Flint_2016

Flint_2016 Rusty Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    I bring the following cutting tools on most of my hikes(when I head to my camp especially when doing repairs to shelter and furniture,and cutting firewood:
    Bahco Laplander folding saw
    Bone Valley buck saw
    Condor machete
    Hultafors Hunting ax
    Kabar Tac Tool
    Mora splitting knife(mostly for removing bark)
    Mora Carpenter's blade(for cutting notches when building furniture)
    TOPS Fieldcraft BOB knife for scraping ferro rod when having a campfire
    My main go to knife I carry on my belt is my Jeff White "Camp King" knife
    Swiss Army knife "Climber's model"
    Gerber multi-tool
    DSCN8974.JPG DSCN8959.JPG
    Jeff White Camp King main go to knife
    catsngear (62).JPG
    Gerber multi-tool below.I lost my Leatherman this summer on a hike

9. Stags Crest

Stags Crest Crafty McBushcraft Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Usually have 3 knives. One belt knife (BK custom) that will be kept in reserve. A mora classic 1 in my haversack for 90% of my crafting and an SAK or Opinel in my belt pouch. Aside from that I like to take my medium hawk and sometimes a folding saw. I can usually get anything I need done with those. If I went deep winter packing I'd trade the folding saw and hawk for a full size axe.

M.Hatfield and CosmicJoke like this.
  10. ozarkbushman

ozarkbushman Scout

Blog Posts:
    When I head in the woods I only carry two knives. My bowie and a pocketknife. I can do whatever I need to do with these tools. The bowie is homemade 8" blade. The pocketknife is either a case trapper or a gec possum Skinner. IMG_20180815_211510897.jpg IMG_20180909_153752471.jpg

11. goon

goon Scout

Blog Posts:

I follow a couple groups where some of the posters mention a bunch of “EDC” stuff or knives piggy-backed to other knives. Seems excessive and redundant to me at times.

It’s OK to get out and enjoy / evaluate tools though, and some people really have to work to get time or travel long distances to get in the woods.

M.Hatfield likes this.
  12. OutdoorsFamilyMan

OutdoorsFamilyMan Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I put all the necessary gear for the outing in my bag first....then I fill/cram the rest of the space full of edged tools. 2 is one and 1 is none, but 10 is the most fun :4:

13. fuzz stick

fuzz stick Tracker

Blog Posts:
    It depends on the terrain, weather, activity planned, and length of stay. Also, am I backpacking or do I have a way to haul a heavier load?

For day trips, I only carry 1 knife. If more than a day or so, two knives, usually a sheath knife and a folder. Beyond that, it depends on a lot of things. If the conditions really warrant it, I may carry an axe, saw and small shovel. Often, the shovel will be left behind. If cold and in a remote area, I always take a full size axe. Feel naked without it.

14. Tor Helge

Tor Helge Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Usually carry only one knife and a folding saw.
    Sometimes I carry a hatchet as well.
    Depends on terrain and purpose of the trek. My last trek was in the mountains, and I just carried a knife. Not much need for a hatchet or saw there.

15. j_mcrane

j_mcrane Tracker

Blog Posts:
    22C58EEB-C287-40BE-A915-C1A94BCB06A8.jpeg

These are my favorite combo for the woods. I pair down to a knife/multi tool for long distance hikes.

M.Hatfield and Kona9 like this.
  16. schapm

schapm Elitist Inflated Ego LB42 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    0523164E-D085-4BAD-BDB4-6FDA5EC05518.jpeg
    On an outing to my wife’s family’s property and reduced my tool count just for you. Svord Mini Peasant and Cold Steel SF Shovel.

M.Hatfield, TWill, yohan and 2 others like this.
  17. rhino on INGO

Blog Posts:
    You have vounded me with just your Svord, sir.

M.Hatfield and schapm like this.
  18. Primordial

Primordial MOA #40 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    For a multiday trip I take a chopping tool of some sort (Hatchet, 'hawk or big knife). A fixed blade/belt knife of 4-5", a multitool, and now I've started to folding saw of some sort. I often wear a neck knife too, especially if I anticipate I'll need to do lots of small cutting tasks or if I'll be in a kayak or canoe.

If just a day trip, I usually take a fixed blade belt knife of some sort and what ever folder might be in my pocket that day. If I know I'm going to make a decent, long lasting fire that day I'll take a wood processing tool of some sort.

M.Hatfield, CosmicJoke and schapm like this.
  19. CosmicJoke

CosmicJoke Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    A day hike or less? Usually just my EDC folder ( what ever it is for that day ). Sometimes a fixed blade but, not very often. If I'm just out for a few hours or a day hike, I really don't have a need to carry a lot of edged tools. I don't set up a day camp, so I don't have to process wood or set a shelter.

Car camping? MAN! In the beginning as a teenager we had an axe, hatchet, bow saw, wedge and a sledge hammer, my machete, my pocket knife ( and w/e knife, if any, my brother would have ), a hatchet, and my machete. When I started car camping on my own- an axe, a wedge, my pocket knife, and my USMC Ka Bar. If fishing was in the plan a fillet knife in the tackle box along with a folder. Now that I'm older yet perhaps none the more wiser, my EDC folder, a fixed blade, and the axe. If fishing, the main tools in my tackle box are the same.

Back woods camping? That has changed so many times over the years I can't even get into. It really depends on circumstance and location these days. I will say what I have ready for a trip next weekend are, my EDC folder ( it's always on me..... ), my SRK, a folding shovel, and my folding saw.
    I will admit, I keep going back and forth about the folding saw or the machete I picked up a few weeks ago. Most of the wood can be processed by hand, so in the end, I may not take either of them. Or, I may get crazy and take both as well as my hatchet.

At the end of the day, carry what makes you happy even if it doesn't get used. Better to have something and not need it, then to need it and not have it.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  20. 556mp

556mp Bushwhacker Vendor Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    A fixed blade knife in warmer months, Folding saw when it gets cool, sometimes an axe in the winter. Sometimes I'll bring a small folding knife.

21. MaximIsayev

MaximIsayev Scout

Blog Posts:
    Depends on what I’m doing. Small game hunting trip without an overnight stay, I usually have a Mora Classic and a small saw, plus a folder and a SAK or a Leatherman Squirt. For overnight, add a tomahawk or a small axe. For boat/car camping when weight isn’t much of an issue, throw in a full size axe, a big Silky saw, and a BK4 or/and a BK9.

M.Hatfield likes this.
  22. DirtyPhill

DirtyPhill Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    A knife for every pocket, pouch, and belt!

23. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Right on! That's my kinda packing. :)

66drifter and M.Hatfield like this.
  24. Geneh

Geneh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I try to minimize for the type of outing. It turns out I'm happier with less stuff, as long as I don't create so much work by not having the right tool. Luxury camp just a couple mile hike and lots of sitting I'll bring a hatchet, 8 oz folding saw, med knife. Maybe the RAT 7 if I feel like it too, just because. Winter-ish I'll bring a small camp axe to split frozen and larger wood down the sticks I use.

Backpacking, were I'm spending time walking instead of sitting by a fire I just bring a small fixed blade, and maybe the minimalist gerber folding saw, all told under 3/4 pound of hardware.

25. boomchakabowwow

boomchakabowwow Guide

Blog Posts:
    some wild responses!! you all get out because of your knives!
    i bring a knife because i need to get out.

i have a bud. let's call him Jack. works, cuz that's actually his name. Jack is a master of maps. he will look and find a desolate lake. then call out for a hike. we dont get to know sometimes where we are going! we just pack for an estimated number of days out. usually 5. up to 10 twice. then the death march begins. he will show us on a map, when we have already commited. super funny and fun. kinda scary. but its the rule, if we want to find a cool lake. i'd argue some of these trout never seen an Asian person before. HELLO!

you all would be jamming your knives into trees on the hike in, lightening the load - hoping to get them out on the way back. it's a death march sometimes. machetes and axes. ouch. there is no effen way! once my brother brought a heavy fixed, and i handed him a mora carbon companion. he put his fixed back into the truck. we both cut the belt loop off and put them in the fire after two days. ounces counted following Jack. Jack brings a vintage Gerber folder with a 2" blade. it's a feather.

OrienM and M.Hatfield like this.
  26. rhino on INGO

Blog Posts:
    I prefer to have actual fun, but that's just one pachyderm talking.

27. DomC

DomC Retired Old Scrub Stomper

Blog Posts:
    A belt knife, pocket folder (Vic Farmer), Skrama, and or folding saw.
    Dominick..........

M.Hatfield likes this.
  28. charlesmc2

charlesmc2 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I never got into the hiking to get somewhere more. By that I mean trail hiking. I do like to hike to get away from civilization which usually means deserting the established trails. My experience has been that off trail is clean and the critters fear man enough they don’t steal your stuff. So, distance covered is not my goal and I don’t go for lightest weight.

Off trail in my area firewood is plentiful and I don’t “process” any barring major rainfall. Often carry dry wood from one camp to next so I can get a fire going to dry out firewood and keep it going. Cook on coals. So I carry a fixed blade and Leatherman, but usually include SAK, just because. Only carry axe if car camping or if I know I’ll need it.

I’m not going to feel guilty if my load is more than xx pounds. If it gets heavy it means I need to lose weight, not my pack. But we each answer to personal needs and preferences. What I like about BCUSA!

M.Hatfield likes this.
  29. Newtown Mark

Newtown Mark Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Small ax - like a GB SFA
    Folding saw - I like the SVEN even with its limitations, have a others in the rotation
    Little two blade Case folder - belonged to my Dad and that feels nice
    One fixed blade - TBD depending on which one I'm in love with at the moment

M.Hatfield likes this.
  30. Outdoor Dauber

Outdoor Dauber Roughian #3 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    On a 1-3 night outing, I take a boys axe, folding saw (unless it's winter, then I carry my Dustrude bucksaw), belt knife, pocket knife and a food prep knife.

M.Hatfield likes this.
  31. Nic7364

Nic7364 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Any pictures of your knives? Sounds like exactly the type of knife I want.

MJGEGB and M.Hatfield like this.
  32. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I assume you meant the fixed blades. Basically just convex puukkos, but you could do whatever handle and blade shape you wanted with the same thin convex blade.

20190830_181914.jpg

These are the ones that I have for now, sort of prototypes if you will. Eventually I'll do some from scratch, and I have a M2 blank from @A Seedy Lot in the works as well. I work slow.

20190830_182040.jpg

And some axe options as well with the biggest weighing 1 lbs 15 oz.

TWill likes this.
  33. Nic7364

Nic7364 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Thanks, yeah I've been eyeing @A Seedy Lots knives for a while.

34. MaximIsayev

MaximIsayev Scout

Blog Posts:
    This little guy makes a handy belt axe for multiday trips.
    56AEFA8F-A673-418A-8003-9CF36CCADA4F.jpeg

35. CowboyJesus

CowboyJesus Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    many more than i need...though, for full disclosure, i seem to have 3-4 on me as edc to start with....

usually, on a good solid day+ outing, about half of what i bring is what is think is needed-something to chop with (axe, hawk, or tracker) midsized knife (varies a lot) and usually my neck knife. there's usually others to try to try out (anything new or that hasn't gotten much love) or knives for special purposes (spoon knife, for example)

i need to learn to do better, i know....

rhino on INGO likes this.
  36. rhino on INGO

Blog Posts:
    Correct! You need more knives with you.

37. Top Gibson

Top Gibson Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    DSCN3174.JPG DSCN3741.JPG Around here in the swamp-land, while rucking, I take a parang, a puukko belt knife, SAK Farmer in my pocket, and either my Silky saw or bacho saw. While kayaking, I will also bring my cold steel shovel and switch the puukko out for a WCKnives Nessy in AEB-L stainless. Sometimes, I leave off the SAK and take a multi-tool....especially if I'm fishing.

38. CowboyJesus

CowboyJesus Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    for what it's worth, within the last year, on a day hike, not even an over night, i think i clocked in with upwards of 16 blades on me! that's knives, saws, and assorted choppers....yes, i start to feel a little like the joker

[​IMG]

39. 66drifter

66drifter Guide

Blog Posts:
    Y'ALL ARE NUTS !!!

¿ aint it fun !

since my M/C riding days are in my wake my light weight/compact style camping is done in a Jeep Cherokee and my regular mode involves an F-350

you have no idea how many tools can be fit in an F-350

neither do i :-O

and i aint unloading either vehicle to list 'em...

because i can

th-2 2.jpeg

40. reppans

reppans Scout

Blog Posts:
    mill321 and Enzo like this.
  41. Enzo

Enzo Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Awesome. I remember seeing your kit a while ago. How’s it held up? Have you considered trading out that beefy folding knife for a tiny one and adding a trowel/spade type tool like the Rogan Scout? I’m not familiar with those strong Cold Steel models, so if I’m underestimating it then my bad. A tool like the Scout might increase the overall weight, but it could be better suited for long-term heavy use.

E5BE9802-2554-4B69-86E7-35C57A07DE59.jpeg 99D28E7D-6064-44B3-97E8-BA20EEFD6C18.jpeg

Despite its appearance it’s not a true knife.

https://roganusa.com/collections/rogan-spade-series/products/scout

42. rhino on INGO

Blog Posts:
    That's a good start!

43. reppans

reppans Scout

Blog Posts:
    The kit is holding up very well, but I don’t claim to be processing a ton of wood either. The knife has a beast of a blade, and its only used for the start cut (often unlocked), so I’m not worried the hinge/lock mechanism - it’s also one of the toughest folders ever made. Not really a fixed blade guy - I can’t deep conceal them safely/comfortably on my person, and knife in a bag loses half its utility for me. That Rogan looks like a nice tool though.

gohammergo likes this.