Knots & Cord: A How To Tie and Hardware Resource

Discussion in 'Other Skills' started by Wasp, May 3, 2019.

1. Wasp

Wasp DOWN IN DIXIE Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Thought I'd post s few links to knots for those wanting to learn, struggling, or trying to refresh your memory. Check out these resources on simple to tie knots.

Basic and advanced knots:
    https://www.netknots.com

Animated Knots:
    https://www.animatedknots.com

Inspiration on decorative knots:
    https://stormdrane.blogspot.com/?m=1

Paracord Knotting Step by Step:
    http://www.paracordguild.com

On YouTube (look up):
    Practical Knots-
    Ia Woodsman,
    Skab Leather,
    Knots by Grog,

On YouTube (look up):
    Decorate Knots-
    "Tyingitalltogether" (JD Lenzen author: Paracord Fusion Ties),
    "Stormdrane" (David Hopper),
    "Weavers of Eternity",
    "Paracord Guild",

International Guild of Knot Tyers (forum)
    https://igkt.net/sm/index.php?PHPSESSID=bjsofu5tlbf3jgai79negoktj4&

Last edited: May 3, 2019
    Park Swan, Jim L., beacon and 17 others like this.
  2. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    If you want THE book on knots, 3900 knots and almost 700 pages, and a hardcover for your shelf, you need Ashley's Book of Knots. Everyone should own this!

[​IMG]

Jim L., beacon, oddjob35 and 18 others like this.
  3. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    Theres an ap for your phone of animated knots called "Knots by Grog". It used to be a website, I believe its the second one I listed but the changed they name. Its like $1.99 at the ap store. Some good stuff!

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  4. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    If youre into paracord, or if you have some paracord lying around and you're bored, cant decide what to get the kids, want some entertainment in camp or for the back deck? Try Paracord Fusion Ties Vol 1, Vol 2, Vol 3. Start with one and see if you like it. Grab a bunch of paracord from paracord planet. Good books!
    [​IMG]

5. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    Rope & Cord resources

Rope, paracord, microcord, nano cord, best glow cord, kevlar-
    https://atwoodrope.com

Paracord, microcord, nano cord, more, every color and size-
    [Need a Little 10'-100']
    https://www.paracordplanet.com

[Need a Lot 100'-1000'] wholesale-
    https://www.paracordwholesaleshop.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-Iegp_H-4QIVSL7ACh3YFQkjEAAYASAAEgLCpPD_BwE

Paracord unique colors and unique buckles-
    https://www.boredparacord.com/collections/buckles

Paracord, Jigs, Fids, spools (weaving), Challenge Coins, Buckles, detailed beads, everything you never knew about-
    https://jigproshop.com

Buckles, Snaps, brass, chrome, black, leather and cord accessories-
    https://www.buckleguy.com

Rope, cord, shock cord, other
    https://sgtknots.com

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  6. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    I may add to, I used to have about 75 links in my old phone just with this kind of stuff. If you want to add please feel free.

I hope it helps someone find something they need, like, or maybe find or make gifts for someone.

The books go from very simple to complex. If you are new to paracord or if decorative knots really confuse you? Want a fob for your Swiss Army Knife or a lanyard idea for your knife? Buy Paracord Fusion Ties Vol 1 and for $20 you can start at ground zero and be tying complex stuff quickly. You will start to see the patterns which will help in all decorative knots. It has some harder stuff too, but its step by step with pictures. Trust me, my 12 year old second cousins learned right from this book! For beginners and those with some experience.

If you are more serious about knots and want to learn the coolest stuff around, or it just interests you to look over it, maybe you need to learn just more knots in general? Want to make a ringer for a bell, wrap a paddle, learn globe knots and complex monkey fists, turks head, etc, etc? Ashley's Book of Knots is a serious book on knots. Some of them I wouldn't even attempt, they are not for the impatient. LOL. But there is a lot of neat and very doable stuff throughout.

7. EternalLove

EternalLove Guide

Blog Posts:
  8. Mjolnir

Mjolnir Scout

Blog Posts:
  9. 45jack

45jack Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  10. kcardwel

kcardwel Hardwoodsman Hobbyist Supporter Hardwoodsman Bushclass III

Blog Posts:
    great resources...I have used the animated one a lot in the past...don't forget you can stop the video(pause it) and then click to just get one slide at a time to make it go the rate you want it. The fusion ties ones are excellent. His tutorials are the best on the web I think.

11. 45jack

Blog Posts:
  12. kcardwel

kcardwel Hardwoodsman Hobbyist Supporter Hardwoodsman Bushclass III

Blog Posts:
    just to let you know the Ashley book is not one you just grab and easily start tying some knots. It is super thorough and has most everything in it. Some knots assume you know others so just be aware. Wouldn't say it is for the beginner but it is the "bible" of knots.

beacon, Bob_Spr, Guttersnipe and 4 others like this.
  13. Bushcraft and Brews

Bushcraft and Brews Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    This is great! Thanks for taking the time to put it together. Knots are my weakest link. For some reason, my brain will not retain knot tying. I a knot over and over again and then ten minutes later I will completely forget how to do it.

14. OMRebel

OMRebel Meanderer of the Piney Woods Supporter Hardwoodsman Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Great information, thanks for sharing. I'm knot great at this kind of thing, so I'll check some of this out!

15. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    I didn't mean to, or hope I didn't mean to make that one sound like a beginner book. They aren't all difficult and build throughout the book. Stormdrane uses a lot of the knots from Ashleys book and you can find step by step videos on YouTube on his channel.
    I still think its a must have for everyone. It also gets hard to find and oneday may be completely out of print.

A lot of knots, specifically decorative knotting, is a building of certain knots. That's why it can be difficult for someone to just watch a video on a knot and figure out what is going on, it may be a more advanced knot. I've been doing it for years and there's still a lot of knots I won't attempt yet.

The book, Paracord Fusion Ties Vol 1 I mentioned above assumes you know nothing. It startes in the front with a piece of cord and tells you commonly used words and names which will help you understand what anyone or any directions are talking about, like a "bight" for instance. It then teaches you a few dozen knots from front to back, simplest knots in front and builds, using some knots you learned first, towards the back of the book. Thats why I said its a must have for beginners and knotters in general. It will help you with videos, Ashleys, and knots in general.

16. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    The author of Paracord Fusion Ties is JD Lenzen, and he has a YouTube channel that teaches decorative knots. Go check it out. I'll add it to the names at the top.

Youtube channel:
    Tyingitalltogether

17. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    Heres an overview of Paracord Fusion Ties Vol 1 which shows pictures to give you an idea of what its about.

Apparently JDs Paracord Fusion Ties are also available in Ebook

He also has a book called "Leather Fusion Ties"

18. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    Personally I find that tying knots can be relaxing. I can get to serious about it sometimes when its something I really want to tie but cant quite get it, so I put it down for later. Most of the time, especially if you've learned some of the basics, its just like putting together a simple puzzle, and you can see it all come together as youre going and then tightening it up. Don't hurry, just enjoy it.

Now I know much more decorative knotting than I do practical knotting. I guess because I haven't had to use them all regularly enough for most of it to become thoroughly interesting. I mean it does interest me, its just been harder to pick up and retain.

Besides entertainment, the best part about knot tying is you don't have to go all crazy expensive. You can start with a hank of paracord and some simple tools like a lighter and a knife and really learn a lot and be entertained while doing it. Or you can have boxes of cord, tools, and beads like I do. ;) It really depends on what you want from it.

I bet most people could learn decorative and practical knots in a few minutes or porch or recliner time with $20 worth of stuff and one of the books or links I posted above.

19. Bob_Spr

Bob_Spr Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I keep 2 3 ft lengths of different color 550 in my pockets all of the time. When I have free time (sitting at a doctor's office, guarding my wife's purse and packages while she shops, etc), I pull them out and practice tying knots. A great way to pass time.

20. 45jack

Blog Posts:
    About 15 years ago I was in a relatively serious car accident. Paramedics couldn’t believe I wasn’t dead, neurologist couldn’t believe I wasn’t paralyzed.
    I started knotting as a way to get my memory exercise.
    There are a handful of knots I use regularly and others have to look up again when I want to tie them.
    The logic of knots is addictive.

Cordage, the thinking’s mans duct tape.

Park Swan, beacon, Bob_Spr and 5 others like this.
  21. M.Hatfield

M.Hatfield Midnight Joker #42 Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Oh for sure!

Thanks @Wasp for compiling a BUNCH of info all in one place. :)

22. UAHiker

UAHiker Guide

Blog Posts:
    all awesome sites and i think i've been to and used them all. thanks for compiling into a single source!

23. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    I know quite a few, but if it makes you feel better I still use a picture, video, or how to when I tie several, even lots that I "already know well".

24. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    @45jack or anyone, try this one! Its not super difficult following this video, it just takes a minute. He uses a straw, I took apart a bic pen because its less flexible.

Smaller diameter can be slid onto and left around a pen, or you can just make a lanyard or key fob.
    IMG_8531.JPG

25. Zoonga

Zoonga Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:

Bob_Spr and Wasp like this.
  26. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    @45jack

This one really isn't terribly hard, it just looks like it. After you do the wraps he shows the rest is just following the cord around a second or even third time. Once you finish what he shows you I just used a different color to follow in between for some contrast.

Bob_Spr, RI Chevy and Guttersnipe like this.
  27. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    Heres something cool. A knot chart.
    20190505_024055.jpg

beacon, RI Chevy, Bob_Spr and 4 others like this.
  28. chansta

chansta keeper of the flame Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Whyknot on YouTube is a good resource

Guttersnipe and Bob_Spr like this.
  29. Guttersnipe

Guttersnipe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That is sweet.
    Thank you!
    How many people will be downloading this picture to their phone?

Bob_Spr and Wasp like this.
  30. DarrylM

DarrylM Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    @asemery is another knotter that has posted cool stuff here.

31. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    Hes a mod (and possibly creator) of pineapple knot forum.

Guttersnipe, Bob_Spr and DarrylM like this.
  32. UncleCarm

UncleCarm Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I do a similar thing, I keep a few different thicknesses of cordage near the computer. When I see a new knot I want to learn, I also practice as many knots as I can remember at that moment. It's far to easy to forget how to tie the knot you want when you need it. In the backwoods you can't always look it up.

I also bought some cards (says ProKnot.com on the front) that show a bunch of different knots on the front and back. It has six cards, credit card size, with a rivet on the upper corner so you can rotate through the cards. Pretty handy for keeping in your kit.

Guttersnipe, Bob_Spr and Wasp like this.
  33. oddjob35

oddjob35 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Great thread @Wasp and a good idea to put it all together in one post. Might be worth asking one of the mods to sticky this one?

Another good source of supplies, especially if you want to go for the "old fashioned" natural material ropes, but synthetics also available, can be found at …. https://sgtknots.com/

Hope this is useful.

OJ

Guttersnipe, Bob_Spr and Wasp like this.
  34. JOttum

JOttum Nights Watch Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the thread @Wasp! When I finished Basic Military Mountaineering I could recognize and tie probably 30 different knots. Now, sadly I'm down to about 5 or 6 from memory.

This thread is a great resource and kick in the pants to get motivated!

Guttersnipe and Wasp like this.
  35. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    I'll admit, embarrassingly, I know fewer "real knots" than decorative knots. When I started there wasn't much paracord stuff online, so you had to practice the same thing over and over until it was memory before moving on. That allowed you to be creative with new stuff, tie it better, and different than anybody else (most).
    As time went on I learned more and more decorative knots and combined them with others to try to set myself apart some. But if you wait a while you'll think..."now how did I do that again"(?) and have to play with it to remember.

Now I was in the boyscouts and used several for everyday life and construction. However, as you go forward you use your favorite or a few common knots that are best suited for what you're doing, and the rest fall away from practice or memory. But just like my decorative knots, if you refresh them it comes back in far fewer practices before you go, "oh yeah", and in that you might automatically remember a few more since several are similar.

Point is, don't be afraid to try ones you used to know first, they probably aren't as far gone as you think they are.

I still need to practice several "real knots" myself.

Have fun with it and think of knots like a puzzle. Some are simpler, some are more complicated, but they all start at one end and go to the other, the more you tie the easier it is to see it, and therefore remember it.

Thats all I got.

Guttersnipe, HoustonB77 and JOttum like this.