Know your Neighbors

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by werewolf won, Mar 14, 2018.

1. werewolf won

werewolf won TANSTAAFL Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    The last storm we had I relayed the story of the traveling nurse who got stuck on my road. Totally unprepared for the weather, but we got her on her way. Well unknown to me she was not the only one. My wife helped another before I got home from work. My 60 plus year old wife was assisted by the plow truck operator. Well my neighbor saw this action, did not say or do a thing to help; but was quick to call the Town Manager and got the plow truck operator reprimanded and docked an hour of pay for his generous assistance.

I have always had odd feelings about this guy, now I understand why my “spidy senses” always start tingling whenever we talk. I knew he and his wife were raging gossips: now I know he’s a Rat too!

2. JohnP

JohnP No more half measures Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Man, he pegs the jerkometer. I’d keep an eye on those two. Our nearest neighbor and his wife are okay, but they are huge gossips. We tell them nothing, just talk about the weather or very general stuff. OPSEC.

JohnP

BayRat91, Beach Hiker, Zornt and 11 others like this.
  3. werewolf won

Blog Posts:
    Whenever we do work around the property that requires a permit we always get one, or have the contractor doing the work get one. We’ve been told more than once that someone checked up on the last permit we pulled. I always figured it was the guy behind me, and it may well be him too, but in light of this recent revelation one thing if for sure -- I’m surrounded by Heinlein’s Mr. and Mrs. Grundy.

4. Glock Holiday

Glock Holiday Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yep. It is amazing how vial, stupid and worthless some people are.

Its not worth a back and forth neighbor feud but its never too lte to start blacksmithing

Kinggoat, Beach Hiker, Zornt and 9 others like this.
  5. svh

svh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm sure glad I don't have any (close) neighbors ! Most of the time, anyway. The nearest snoop is about 3/4 mile away.

Kinggoat, Beach Hiker, Zornt and 6 others like this.
  6. JohnP

Blog Posts:
    Mine, too, and that’s too close.

JohnP

Zornt, wingnuts, Oakenhart and 4 others like this.
  7. Zunga

Zunga Guide

Blog Posts:
    Yet another reason I live in the sticks. Last three neighbor disputes. All settled with fists. Much more satisfying than playing silly games like he does. I've got a empty cabin next door. Send him for a vacation. We'll treat him like one of ours ROFL

Kinggoat, Zornt, ezra45 and 6 others like this.
  8. Swampdog

Swampdog Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sounds like your neighbor is an excellent candidate for 'THE FLAMING BAG OF POOP' April Fool prank...

(You know, you have two-weeks to plan this)

It's also Easter Sunday so you could leave them a nice Easter Basket with "chocolate" inside and rotten eggs. :16: :21: :26:

Glock Holiday, Zornt, ezra45 and 7 others like this.
  9. Faiaoga

Faiaoga Guide

Blog Posts:
    Once courtesy and true neighborliness start to erode, the whole social fabric starts to tear apart. That is not good for our society.

jswi2374, Doc., Zornt and 8 others like this.
  10. Zunga

Zunga Guide

Blog Posts:
    I agree. I never believed good fences make good neighbors. Good comunities do! :dblthumb:

Zornt, wingnuts, Oakenhart and 3 others like this.
  11. T. Pollock

T. Pollock T's Custom Outdoor Gear Vendor Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Sad... truly sad.

Zornt, SmilinJoe, wingnuts and 4 others like this.
  12. camp casey

camp casey Guide

Blog Posts:
    Good Nabors are priceless, recall once sitting at a football game surrounded by my Nabors and two police officers were asking for the parents of ( my son ) who was playing on the field.
    They all new exactly who he and I was yet no one said a word, turned out he was fighting over some girl and the other kids dad was a police officer, nothing ever came of it, but I never forget.
    We may have our differences but when it us or then, it’s always us.

13. Faiaoga

Faiaoga Guide

Blog Posts:
    I like the saying that it takes a village to raise a child. If people in the village act with true neighborliness, then this saying can hold true.:40:

jswi2374, Zornt, wingnuts and 5 others like this.
  14. Andy 315

Andy 315 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have a couple of decent and a bunch of bad. Have a tremendous amount of rental in my neighborhood so it's ever revolving. The good never stay.

Zornt, wingnuts, Oakenhart and 4 others like this.
  15. roadwarrior

roadwarrior Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    In order to not get an infraction on this I will refrain from what I would like to say and just say I don't like people like that and I would never help them in the future.

Zornt, ezra45, wingnuts and 4 others like this.
  16. werewolf won

Blog Posts:
    I'll kill the SOB with Kindness. Then he can answer to the ultimate judge sooner :D

Kinggoat, Beach Hiker, Zornt and 7 others like this.
  17. central joe

central joe Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I would sent a certified letter to his superior praising him and his efforts. As a member of the town, he does indirectly work for you. joe

grey mouse, DCPugh, Doc. and 10 others like this.
  18. trad_bowhunter1965

trad_bowhunter1965 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sounds like you live in my neighborhood there are 120 homes and 20% are retires and folks that have jobs the rest are crack heads and welfare types.

19. Andy 315

Andy 315 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yup. Same mixture.

20. LongAgoLEO

LongAgoLEO Scout

Blog Posts:
    When I first purchased my property, I had it surveyed; mostly because my three neighbors couldn't articulate the same property lines and we were contemplating building. So, I popped for the big expenditure and had it staked every 200'. My east neighbor lost about 120' onto what he though was his land and promptly removed his portable tree stand that was now on my property. When I saw it had been removed, I went to his house and explained I was not a deer hunter and had no problem with his hunting precedence. Even encouraged him to hunt wherever he cared to (archery). And while he did not take me up on this offer, it was the beginning of a solid relationship. He's invited me into his man-cave (designated pole barn) many times; his wife will cross-country ski my trails; and, he usually rolls in on an ATV if he hears me chain-sawing, shooting or most likely, hitting rocks with my mower. :D

My neighbor to the west learned from my survey that he had 5-acres of nicely wooded, high land that he'd thought belonged to me (or the previous owner) for more than 20-years. He was reluctant at first to acknowledge the mistake, but I told him I would not be using it, that it was rightfully his and playfully started referring to him as my favorite land baron. We got off to a good start. I also learned that his divorced daughter and her three children had moved back home recently and in need of a reliable vehicle (he was shopping for a beater for her). Since I was in a position to do so, I sold him my Audi A6 Quattro for $1 and a bottle of Fire Ball. That goodwill has paid off 10-fold in my opinion. Pretty much every time I'm mowing, he shows up on his mower with a couple of beers and a good story.

My only other neighbor and his elderly wife are simply gems. Good, honest, hard-working retired farmers who know EVERYONE in the county somehow. I help them in anyway possible (tend to the horses and chickens, work the garden when they're out of town, and plow his road so he doesn't have to try and start his steam engine tractor or whatever it is). They keep me in fresh produce, jams, apple cider and venison. We belong to each other's fan club for sure!

Oddly, I'm the only common denominator between these three neighbors as they're not seemingly as caring about each other. Possibly too much history. And when one asks about the other, I only talk them up.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    holygoat, rmil, grey mouse and 22 others like this.
  21. Faiaoga

Faiaoga Guide

Blog Posts:
    It sounds like you do the right thing and get rewarded for it. I wish all people would behave the same way.:40:

Beach Hiker, Zornt, Swampdog and 3 others like this.
  22. wingnuts

wingnuts Hunter/Gatherer Provider/Protector Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Wish I could keep your attitude! I just went outside to a flooded driveway caused by my a$$hole neighbor pumping out his pool when the drains are plowed over! F&#khead didn’t even answer his door! Maybe better, if he had I might beat his ass with the shovel! I long for no neighbors!!!

23. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    "Good fences make good neighbors" refers to clearly marking 'yours' and 'mine' when it comes to the property line, and results in keeping your livestock out of my fields, and vice versa... good fences prevent arguments between neighbors.

rmil, Doc., werewolf won and 6 others like this.
  24. JohnP

Blog Posts:
    It’s always better to cool down and approach them calmly. Wouldn’t want you to wind up in jail because of their act of stupidity. Things can escalate quickly when anger is involved.

JohnP

25. LongAgoLEO

LongAgoLEO Scout

Blog Posts:
    I made it clear to my neighbors when I got my land surveyed that I was not trying to be "that guy." That get-off-my-lawn guy. I explained that I needed to know my property lines so I could keep my g'kids and friends IN; not keep my neighbors OUT. Of course it's reassuring as I cut trails that I'm not compromising (or improving) the wrong property. I think they've all come to appreciate knowing where THEIR property lines actually are.

26. gila_dog

gila_dog Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The guy that ratted on the plow truck driver just put some bad karma in the bank for himself. He will have some really bad luck some day.

27. KFF

KFF Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'd call the town manager to ask the info of the plow driver to reward him and encourage the manager to do so too.
    A good bottle of scotch should heal some of the piss off the driver must feel.

Tangotag, drobs, 1911srule and 7 others like this.
  28. central joe

central joe Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    And spread it around town what a great asset he is. joe

Doc., Swampdog, KFF and 3 others like this.
  29. Beach Hiker

Beach Hiker Traveller Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That driver should be publicly applauded.

30. WY_Not

WY_Not Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I would recruit a bunch of friends and family to do the same.

Tangotag, drobs, central joe and 2 others like this.
  31. 1911srule

1911srule Scout

Blog Posts:
    Unfortunately I have TWO neighbors like the OP describes. What I can't stand is how nosey they are. If I bang a hammer, run a chainsaw or turn on an air tool in the garage, they drive by REAL slow. One who is bipolar really bothers me with stalker like behavior. If my wife is in garden or around the house. He comes out and stares at her from say the corner of his house. They live like 70 and 125 yds from my house . We're on a private dirt road in the woods. It amazes me. We try to ignore them, because making friends is not in the cards. The one behind me has been a problem from the get go. Heroin addict, bath salts using son mostly. Ughh..

32. Kinggoat

Kinggoat Scout

Blog Posts:
    You are truly blessed with the neighbors you have.
    I have some decent neighbors on each side and behind me. There are a few busy bodies on my block though.

33. drobs

drobs Scout

Blog Posts:
    I only have 2 neighbors, both are on the hill behind me a good 200 to 300 yards away.
    1 is a functioning alcoholic. Works hard in the day and drinks a case of beer at night. We're worried we're going to get into a head on vehicle collision with him. We're friendly though.

The other is from California. Retired - good guy, patrols our area and kicks out the riff-raff. I visit him every so often and we shoot together. He has 100yd range set up next to his place. My range is only 25yds.

The 2 neighbors can't stand each other. We act as a go between / mediator.

We have a 3rd neighbor that is about a mile away. She was having a garage sale, we stopped in and said hello. Mentioned that we lived in the house down the way. Her response - oh we thought that place was abandoned...

Works for me. I like people not knowing my business.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  34. ilovepierogi

ilovepierogi Tracker

Blog Posts:
    My neighbors and I all technically live in the same house. The landlord put a wall in the main house to make a separate studio, and I live in the converted garage. I try to be as neighborly as possible. Once I noticed the guy in the other studio had a flat, so I pumped it up to save rim/sidewall damage and let him know, then a little while later I was rewarded with a nice bottle of pear mead...also steak on a different occasion. I have a strong desire to be a straight recluse, but I grew up in a small town, so I'm used to knowing my neighbors and I just can't seem to help being helpful where I can. Blessing and curse I suppose.

35. Tangotag

Tangotag Field Gear Junkie Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    In a small rural town the gossip mill is known to everyone. The larger the town and closer the neighbors the less you know about each other. Kind of funny how that all works out.

36. haunted

haunted Guide

Blog Posts:
    bad things can happen in the dark of night...................just saying

werewolf won and grey mouse like this.
  37. Nagiom

Nagiom Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Part of me is disturbed that town would reprimand him and dock his pay. I can understand a verbal reprimand because the same would happen to me. Liability is king these days and employers don't want any. But the pay and a potential letter of reprimand in his personnel file blows my mind. IMO a simple, "We appreciate that you helped, but would prefer if you didn't," would have sufficed.

werewolf won and WY_Not like this.
  38. southron

southron Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'd find out what that driver made and at least give him an hours pay money from my pocket.

I'd also share it with anyone it might matter to. Maybe a few businesses etc would bother telling the town manager that good people are to rare to carp all over.

As for the rat, well karma always watches. Sooner or later what goes around comes around and ya won't have to lift a finger.

I might be tempted to sit out a lawn chair and let him see me watching him when it happened, but I"m an onery old southron and out local boys do good helping folk and get atta boys, not reprimands for serving the public that pays their checks.

werewolf won likes this.
  39. firehat

firehat Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'm in local government and have seen several people rewarded and otherwise praised for helping out with things like you describe. Firefighters, cops, garbage truck guys. In my city when they help someone (outside the scope of their normal jobs) they usually get a certificate of thanks from city council or various civic clubs. That your town management punished the guy is inconceivable to me and I think it says something very bad about the management attitude there.

I'm really blessed with my neighbors. I live in a big city but everyone on my block is either extremely friendly and helpful or at least quiet and reserved. One lady on my block knows everyone and will help out with anything, whether you're in town or not. I'm not sure what we've all done to deserve such a great neighbor. At my refuge out in the desert mountains my closest neighbor is a retired aerospace engineer and a really nice guy. I gave him a bottle of whiskey the last time I was there because he let me use his road. I've had bad neighbors before so I know how lucky I am.

LongAgoLEO and werewolf won like this.
  40. grey mouse

grey mouse Scout

Blog Posts:
    I inspect houses for a living. That means that almost every day I am at least at one new home (to me). The amount of people who will "watch" is unbelievable. Some will bring a chair and a drink to the front lawn just to be nosey. On the other hand you wouldn't believe the times that a neighbor has come over to tell me how the people are/where, the condition of the home, the number of kids along with their ages, everyone's occupation, what they drive, etc. I'm a stranger to them but they volunteer what schools the kids go to, what sports they play, when they are gone from the home, and so much more that I don't need to know and in all honesty is a major security risk.

I sometimes get to see the worst in neighbors or home owners. I have found rooms in the attic where the nice neighbor kidnapped children and kept them, secret rooms/moving walls/hidden passageways that aren't safe rooms in people homes, college professors who have transgender S&M/B&D dungeons/pleasure rooms that their spouses no nothing about (I was there because she found out and a divorce was causing the sale), active large scale meth labs (seven meth labs last year), closets with locks on them under the stairs with no lights where the children "camp", and more. Often we truely do not know our neighbors even if we have known them for a long time. Everyone has secrets of some sort.

That being said I have had one neighbor for over fourty years and they are a real gem. We watch each others house when away, trade produce and eggs, as well as fishing stories. I grew up playing with his kids. Last month they still could not go fishing due to recovering from injuries caused by a car wreck so the wife and I went fishing and brought them a big ol' cat and a nice bass for dinner. I once had a neighbor (non-gun owner) call me at 2am telling me that there was a burglar tip toeing outside his barn so I grabbed a shotgun and a light and headed that way. I woke him up after securing the perimeter and two grown men stood armed in his yard in our underwear :54:. They had stolen a pair of large wrenches above the barn door but were apparently scared off. As for my other neighbors..well they live outside ground zero lol.

LongAgoLEO and werewolf won like this.