Komelon folding saw(s)

Discussion in 'Gear Deals' started by USMCPOP, Aug 31, 2018.

1. USMCPOP

USMCPOP Scout

Blog Posts:
    I recently got several Komelon pruning saws of various types and sizes. Haven't used them yet, but they appear of decent quality. Made in Korea.

I got three straight blade 7" models (coarse - 7 TPI) that were very briefly on Amazon for $4.50 each (!!!), now back up to around $10. Anyway, the most recent one is an 8-inch straight-blade utility saw with fine teeth - 12 TPI. Suitable for fine work or cutting PVC even. The handle is formed aluminum with polymer overmolding. The blade lock is overmolded steel and provided 2 open positions. Seems very sturdy and well made. Prices bounce around but it's currently $11-$12. shipped. Not a bad deal.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QL3HCHY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

[​IMG]

2. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I have seen those before but have yet to try one. Have you tried them out yet, or just order them?

Guttersnipe likes this.
  3. USMCPOP

USMCPOP Scout

Blog Posts:
    Guttersnipe likes this.
  4. OrdinarySpring

OrdinarySpring Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Anyone try this as improvised flint and steel striker? From what I can find, it's made of SK4 high carbon steel. Some sources say "SK5 is like 1080" and SK4 has "fewer impurities" than SK5 (doesn't necessarily suggest anything about carbon content).

I've read that Silky and Corona work well. I had no luck with my Bahco. Just been kind of curious about this lately.

Guttersnipe likes this.
  5. Muleman77

Muleman77 Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    I have used them.
    They're as good as a Corona, fast cutting and about the same quality overall.

Guttersnipe likes this.
  6. Leshy_apprentice

Leshy_apprentice Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've used a similar kobalt I got on clearance, I'd bet it's about the same quality level. Not positive, just a hunch.

It's a nice one because it has 3 interchangeable blades with different teeth per inch, so you can use it on seasoned wood, green wood, PVC, whatever...just select the right blade.

Other than that I really liked my Corona until it failed at the blade cracking without being overstressed. It lasted a while of good use but then just gave out. I've been using a fiskars folder as my go to since then. The straight blade doesn't seem as aggressive as the curved Corona, but it is easier to cut a straight notch with the straight profile saw blade. Pros and cons to all. All of them do the job well if you put a little focus on the strengths and weaknesses of whatever one you've got!

Guttersnipe likes this.
  7. USMCPOP

USMCPOP Scout

Blog Posts:
    From what I gather, SK4 is like 1095 whereas SK5 is 1085, though they may have less sulfur and phosphorus. http://www.tokkin.com/materials/special_steel/special_steel

You might need to scrape off a bit of the hard chrome on the back of the blade. I suspect that only the teeth are induction hardened.

Guttersnipe likes this.