Koster Kickstarter

Discussion in 'Gear Deals' started by Youcantreadinthedark, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Youcantreadinthedark

Youcantreadinthedark Amphibian. Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Just a heads up, Daniel Koster is doing a kickstarter for the oft-sought seldom-found bushcraft folder. Details in the link. I'm not affiliated with Koster et al I'm just doing my civic duty. It's essentially a pre-order for a folder.
    Bushcraft Folder

2. HalM

HalM Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Wish it was a pre order for a custom MUCK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Mr. Tettnanger

Mr. Tettnanger Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    From what I read, maybe Dan should finish the orders he already has or refund the money on those waiting years for product from him! It would be nice if he answered emails and returned calls as well.

Oh........a custom MUCK would be nice though!

4. 3855singleshot

3855singleshot Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    You are not lying there! My order is going on 3 years this coming January. When I ordered it, the wait time was 6 mos. I needed it for that Christmas and I am still waiting for it. I will never ever buy from him again, I do not care how good his knives are.

PaPa K, LostViking, buckfynn and 6 others like this.
  5. HalM

HalM Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I had a MUCK and it was perfect except I needed thicker scales. I should have kept it and just gotten it redone by someone.

Reading the forums last night reminded me why I did not send in $75 and get on the MUCK list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Mr. Tettnanger

Mr. Tettnanger Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I agree. The MUCK would have been my perfect knife, but the thin scales bothered me. I've owned two and wouldn't mind getting another one and ponying up to have someone rehandle it!

schapm and Youcantreadinthedark like this.
  7. PaPa K

PaPa K Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Based on my experience with Dan I would suggest you only order if you like waiting forever and only occasionally getting a spotty and inaccurate update for your money.

8. 1066vik

1066vik Guide

Blog Posts:
    Koster makes nice knives, but his business practices leave me cold.

OTOH, the Helle Skala, Enzo Birk 75 and Enzo Borka 90 all have scandi blades in a decent length and "full size" handles for 1/3 of his asking price on the kickstarter, and you can have one of them in 6 days or less, not "6 months" or more.

9. Davemon

Davemon Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My business dealings with Dan are over...it's just not worth it, IMHO.

PaPa K, LostViking, schapm and 6 others like this.
  10. EternalLove

EternalLove Guide

Blog Posts:
    I almost got a new Bushcraft at a meet. I kinda regret not buying knowing how rare they can be but it didn't appeal enough to me to justify the cost.

Youcantreadinthedark likes this.
  11. Self Reliantist

Self Reliantist Guide

Blog Posts:
    He does value his product to a very high degree, if there were more released into the wild, perhaps, more people would agree. I can only wait for one "second coming" at a time. His cost to wait ratio prevents his greater success!

Norm

12. Siberian Nomad

Siberian Nomad Scout

Blog Posts:
    Anyone who gives any custom knife maker a deposit before the knife is in the box, waiting to go out is asking for trouble.

Anyone who gives a custom knife maker like Dan Koster, with a LONG history of making people wait years and years for their knives, with little to no updates on progress in the meantime, is a fool. I'm sorry, but there it is.

Go over to some other forums and you can read pages and pages of people complaining about his business practices. And when he shows up to defend himself, his attitude is basically "you need to give me your money and then just be happy to sit tight and wait, I'll get to it when I get to it."

I'm sorry, his knives are supposed to be really great when he actually gets them done and to you, but I'd stay far, far away from this. I can foresee some pretty disappointed backers for this campaign - the odds he delivers on that June 2017 date are slim to none.

PaPa K, TAHAWK, Broke and 5 others like this.
  13. 3855singleshot

Blog Posts:
    My order was bumped back 2 months again! This Koster guy needs to learn something about customers.....

14. jkc256

jkc256 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I ordered a knife from Mr. Koster almost 5 years ago. After sending the required deposit Mr. Koster confirmed the order and estimated delivery in 6 to 12 months. In the last 5 years I have send many emails to Mr. Koster requesting an update on the expected delivery date. No response to emails over the years and only recently when I asked for a refund did Mr. Koster respond that he didn't give refunds, I just have to wait, try to sell my spot or just walk away. There a list out there of all the orders he took years ago (over 800 according to him) and he claims he's still working on the list yet I don't think anything has been delivered for over a year and there are over 200 names still on the list. Meantime Mr. Koster is still taking and delivering new orders to dealers and even did a Kickstarter project and committed to another large batch of knives in 2016 (it's now fall 2018 and none of which have been delivered yet either). I understand that things happen and delivery dates get pushed back but this guy took tens of thousands of dollars in orders and instead of delivering their knives he's off signing up more suckers on Kickstarter. Check out the almost 2 years of comments and updates and you can see how this guy operates. He takes the money then the excuses start, I'm moving, I'm on vacation, I've got to many irons in the fire, I'm sick, I had surgery...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2135290208/bushcraft-folder/comments

15. Vanitas

Vanitas Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:

I’ve never took to the idea of taking the orders to fund lifestyle instead of selling completed knives. I like the way OUR vendors do it, either take orders no payment till done or just post up what is finished.

16. JonM

JonM Scout

Blog Posts:
    I certainly won't be wasting my time & money on any of his products. It's not good marketing or karma to provide poor customer service.

17. LostViking

LostViking Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:

Things like this inspire a personal visit from me. At some point it becomes about more than the money.

It's too bad. He used to build a heck of a knife. I owned two, both from the secondary market. Both when he still had a reputation.

We actually, he still has a reputation.
    It just isn't a good one.

He scammed so many people over on "Blade" it's not even funny. His forum there is now closed. Pretty sad really.

He also had some heat treat issues, and when people mentioned his knives failing in unrealistic ways he called them stupid and abusers.

Time and time again he steals from people. Then he gets aggressive about why his life is so much worse than everyone else's.

He always seems healthy and happy when he takes your money though.
    No one ever gets an immediate refund and a note saying Dan is too old, too sick, too tired, too lazy, or too dishonest, to actually make you the knife you paid for.
    Why is that?

Why is he always healthy when people pay him?

The Koster knives going out to dealers is a double slap in the face.

Perhaps people that are owed a Knife from Mr. Koster, should take the time to call those dealers and express their displeasure.

Maybe a note saying you won't be buying any more knives from them, until you either get your knife or until Dan's knives are removed from their site. Maybe they as group can exert pressure on this man that individuals can not.

The worst thing about turds like this, is it casts a negative light on all custom makers. That is not fair to the honest ones.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  18. LostViking

LostViking Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    This isn't poor customer service. It's outright stealing.

Here is a link to Dan's website
    http://www.kosterknives.com/knives.html

Tell me or show me, anywhere where he says he is sick, just had surgery, gets lazy at times, or just doesn't do what he promises.

Show me the part where he says he routinely jerks people around for many years without even acknowledging their phone calls. Always after politely taking their money.

This, this is a quote taken from his website. Where he basically bashes other makers. Saying he is better at this then they are.

Link;
    http://www.kosterknives.com/about.html

Excerpt from that link:
    I have streamlined my process to remove those aspects of knifemaking that add time and cost, but don’t add value. So I pass the savings directly to you. My knives sell quickly and are in high demand not only because my pricing is lower than knives of equivalent quality and materials, but also because I am much more efficient with my process.

The only thing Dan Koster is efficient at,
    Is taking people's money.

Go read the now archived Forum over on the other site. You can watch his reputation tank in chronologic progression.

The whole thing leaves me sad, angry, and feeling for the people he stole from.
    And for all the makers who work so hard to do it right.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  19. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I can't see requiring money to hold a spot. When the knife is ready to be built, maybe a small "materials" fee. I think that at this point, he is too far down the hole to change his ways. He probably can't afford to refund hundreds of people and is so back logged that he can't make ends meet if he doesn't keep charging deposits. IMHO, the only way for him to fix it is offer a public apology, bust his but on getting his outstanding orders filled and cut back on his dealers orders to make it happen. After that, he'll need to decide what kind of maker he wants to be and change how he wants to run business. Admitting fault is the first and hardest step though.

20. Vanitas

Vanitas Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:

Sad part is people really seem to like his knives. He could have been very popular with all the communities who enjoy sharps.

21. jtkirkland

jtkirkland BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    @jkc256, I'm right there with you. My order was placed and my deposit paid in December of 2013. I saw my name on a spreadsheet at some point with no deposit credited to me. Emails sent to correct this mistake went unanswered as did emails requesting a refund (sent with proof of the deposit paid). I check out that Kickstarter every so often to read the comments of his other pissed-off customers. I wish I could have warned them.

jtk

22. 3855singleshot

Blog Posts:
    I ordered and paid for mine in January 2014 and have not received an update from him yet! I just wrote the money off and pray I see him in a dark alley!

23. Gruntinhusaybah

Gruntinhusaybah Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Anyone who's given this thief money needs to just write it off.

What's extra hilarious is the tidbit on his site where he tells people how to be a good customer:18:o_O it included something along the lines of "if you ask me about your knife you might just go to the back of the line"
    Pathetic really. The guys a narcissist from what I can tell.

Too bad too cause I ALWAYS wanted a monster nessie.

24. GoKartz

GoKartz Sharpaholic

Blog Posts:
    Wow. Those are ... Amazing looking. Too bad it sounds like this didn't work out for a lot of people. I'm sorry for those that've lost money, but I can totally see why you'd go for one.

Youcantreadinthedark and Broke like this.
  25. blind & lost

blind & lost Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Class action lawsuit?

26. Broke

Broke I found my hat! Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Class action @$$ kicking would be the best Avenue of travel.

27. HeadyBrew

HeadyBrew Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I was just thinking this as I read this thread. Also didn’t realize it was two years old till almost the end. How is this behavior not legitimately criminal? Sounds like a sort of knife making Ponzi scheme.

If you know and are told going in that you will be subject to a long wait, as is the case with many makers, that’s one thing. But all of this sounds/reads like straight up fraud. I’m surprised people haven’t reported him to some sort of consumer protection group or something.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  28. 3855singleshot

Blog Posts:

I have but they said they had so many complaints already. I was also advised to seek out a lawyer but all that means is spending more money.

29. highlander

highlander Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    A class action may help bring the lawyer cost down some. However, I doubt he has the money to settle, but that may give him the fire under his butt to get stuff done.

30. jtkirkland

jtkirkland BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    The frustrating thing for me was the fact that by the time I realized I had been robbed of my deposit it was way too late to make a complaint with PayPal...