Kuksa Size/Capacity Reference

Discussion in 'T's Custom Outdoor Gear' started by T. Pollock, Apr 2, 2018.

1. T. Pollock

T. Pollock T's Custom Outdoor Gear Vendor Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I've sold and gifted many kuksas over my last 3 yrs here and a time or two the person that received it was surprised by the size. I understand completely though as it's very difficult sometimes to estimate how big or small something is simply by looking at a photo especially if there is nothing in the photo to get a size reference from. Also I think some folks don't consider the approx. 1/4" wall thickness that's necessary for a kuksa so that the walls of it aren't easy to crack and don't leak.

I remember one person that wanted one made to hold 16oz. I tried to tell him it would be huge but he insisted he wanted 16oz. Then when he received it he was shocked at how big it was. :dblthumb:

My goal is always 100% satisfaction so in an effort to avoid any one being surprised I thought I'd share some size/capacity reference photos here. The photos will have something common in them (like the bic lighter or farmer) to help with size reference. I also plan to start including the diameter of my kuksas in the sales description.

I hope this reference will be of help to folks whether they're thinking of getting one from me, buying one from someone else or even carving their own.

From research I've done best I can tell a "traditional" kuksa averaged around 6 oz. I personally prefer a larger one... "but" I use mine at home 99% of the time so for me pack size isn't a concern. If you plan to hike much at all with one you'd probably want a smaller more traditional size.

This thread though will give me a place to refer folks to that are interested in one but may have questions about sizing.

For the height of the kuksa you can generally figure half the diameter + 1/2" to 3/4".

I'll be adding more photos and text.

These first 3 photos are of a 6oz kuksa and it's outside diameter is 3-1/2".
    6 oz 3.5 inch OD.JPG 6 oz with bic 3 .5 inch OD.JPG 6 oz with farmer.JPG

This one is a 12oz. kuksa and it's outside diameter is 4-1/4"
    12 oz with farmer.JPG 12oz with bic 4.25 inch OD.JPG

ETA: 1/11/19
    Kuksa - Size/Capacity - Estimation Chart:

..6oz = 3-1/2" OD
    ..8oz = 3-3/4" OD
    10oz = 4"........OD
    12oz = 4-1/4" OD
    14oz = 4-1/2" OD
    16oz = 4-3/4" OD

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  2. T. Pollock

T. Pollock T's Custom Outdoor Gear Vendor Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Here's a good size comparison of three kuksas guys.

Left to right: 12oz, 6oz, 4oz.

12oz. is 4-3/8" OD.
    6oz is 3-1/2" OD.
    4oz. is 3" OD.

IMG_8052.JPG IMG_8053.JPG IMG_8054.JPG IMG_8055.JPG IMG_8056.JPG IMG_8057.JPG

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
  3. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Big Boy Carve-A-Kuksa. This one is MAN size. :)

At 4-3/8" outside dia. x 3" height this one holds a whopping 16oz!
    IMG_5470.JPG IMG_5471.JPG IMG_5472.JPG

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  4. blind & lost

blind & lost LB#42 Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Good educational post.

5. bsemler

bsemler Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    How much do you charge for one

snowmangoinmo and T. Pollock like this.
  6. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  7. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Thanks brother. I've got three more in the works that I'm going to take group comparison photos of, one's 4oz another is 6oz and the biggest is 12oz. I hope this reference will be of help to folks whether they're thinking of getting one from me, buying one from someone else or even carving their own.

8. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Added a good comparison set of photos to post #2 guys.

T

snowmangoinmo and blind & lost like this.
  9. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    I've been having trouble uploading photos here lately and for some reason I couldn't edit the saved post above to add these capacity/size reference photos so I'll just put them here for now.

The capacity on this one is 11oz. It is 4-1/4" OD x 2-1/2" H
    The Bic lighter (full size) in the photos is to help reference the size.

IMG_6659.JPG IMG_6660.JPG IMG_6662.JPG IMG_6663.JPG IMG_6664.JPG IMG_6665.JPG

10. mtnoutdoors

mtnoutdoors Prov 27:17 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    :54: man those are so beautiful nice work keep it up. Prov 27:17

11. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    Thank you brother! Actually only the one in the first set of photos is a finished kuksa, all the others are the Carve-A-Kuksas I offer that are mostly finished but the buyer can do a little finish carving on them to make them more personal than buying one that is completed. It also saves them about 50% in cost.

snowmangoinmo and blind & lost like this.
  12. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    All my kuksas are handmade so it's difficult to hit an exact predetermined/requested capacity when making one. I have continued to try to keep track of the capacity/size relation of the ones I've made though so that I can estimate more accurately. As mentioned above hopefully this information is helpful to others as well if they want to make one for themselves.

This is a little chart I made for myself and I thought I'd share it here. I also added it to the OP.

Kuksa - Size/Capacity - Estimation Chart:

..6oz = 3-1/2" OD
    ..8oz = 3-3/4" OD
    10oz = 4"........OD
    12oz = 4-1/4" OD
    14oz = 4-1/2" OD
    16oz = 4-3/4" OD
    30oz = 6"........OD

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  13. T. Pollock

Blog Posts:
    This is the only one I've made this large and it was by custom order for a member here. I'll include it though for size reference and I'll add it to the above list. It was made to be used as a combo kuksa/bowl.

This one was 6" OD and held 30 oz. Full size Bic for size reference.
    IMG_7869.JPG
    IMG_7871.JPG
    IMG_7874.JPG
    IMG_7876.JPG

And the finished kuksa
    IMG_6129.JPG

Customer photo courtesy of @Angelgutter
    image.jpg

snowmangoinmo and Wasp like this.