LA Kisatchie Gathering, 29 JAN-1 FEB 15, Forestree, Seeker, and friend

Discussion in 'Outings, Trips & Expeditions' started by Seeker, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    That rednecky area between Baltimore and Philly.
    So, after a massive case of "everyone's coming and then everyone chickened out because of the weather report", the workweek finally ended and I got out to Forestree's place in Kisatchie National Forest. Dude's got an awesome piece of property and the makings of a great camp. I left work around 2:30 and arrived around 3:15. Forestree was waiting with ATV and wagon, we loaded up, and off we went about 1/4 mile down to the creek and streamside campsite. Forestree had taken the day off work and had already hauled down the several tubs of cookware, camp gear, tarps, tents, and food that would consume our time and fill our stomachs over the next two days. I've been waiting to see his Christmas light setup and was not disappointed... humor aside, this is one seriously awesome workbench... not a nail in it, just lashings, and it's sturdy as heck. Great for food prep.
    1 Xmas lights.jpg

I set up my hootch off to one side
    9-Seeker's hootch.jpg

and my Whelen lean-to next to the fire ring/kitchen (it was taken in the dark and Picasa-enhanced.)
    2 Whelen.jpg

Here's another angle. Edit: forgot to add... this is the world's largest dingle stick.
    3-Camp.jpg

A couple hours later, Forestree's friend (and fellow forum member who remains anonymous) texted and said he was on his way... He was supposed to blow his horn on arrival, and we'd go get him and his gear... Awhile later, we heard a "Who-ooop!" and he showed up on foot, carrying a gigantic rucksack, cooler, fishing rod, and shotgun. He set up while Forestree cooked them some dinner. I had been hungry, and did my typical lazy man's dehydrated meal and was done and cleaned up by the time Friend showed up. Forestree smoked us a few chicken quarters, doing me the supreme courtesy of "no seasoning" (I'm not a fan of spicy stuff). Delicious! We sat up late discussing A to Z and finally got to bed around 1am. It went down not to the forecast 37*F, but to 32.9* according to my digital thermometer... I was a little uncomfortable, but did well enough with some additional underpadding in my hammock.

I woke up to the sound of a squirrel making his early morning rounds at sunup, around 7am... I had put on my glasses and was leaning out of my hammock to reach for my .22 to shoot the noisy little bugger when I saw that it was actually Forestree, the early riser, walking over to restart the fire... Since I didn't really want to rejuvinate the fire myself, and would rather walk over when it was nice and warm, I left the .22 alone and started getting dressed.

Breakfast was ready shortly thereafter, and looked like this:
    4-Sat Breakfast.jpg

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  2. Seeker

Blog Posts:
    After their massive breakfast (vs my toasted bagel, bacon, oatmeal, and tea), including some of the hardest-fried scrambled eggs I've ever seen, coffee, and enough bacon to clog a pig's arteries, they were finally ready to move out for the morning. Forestree and Friend went down to the creek to fish with me in tow, .22 in hand. We lucked into a woodcock, and he was soon in the bag.
    5-woodcock.jpg

Just so you know, there's not much meat on a woodcock... don't plan on living on them. Here's what we got... It's about the width of your thumb... the other breast/half was destroyed by the .22 shot.
    6-woodcock breast.jpg

After that, I headed the other way to see if I could find a squirrel. After making a long loop around the property with nto a single sign of squirrels, I got to the creek in time to see a kingfisher come rushing past me, low on the water... I knew something had startled him so I stopped to wait... sure enough, I heard the crunch crunch crunch of a deer, but it turned out to be Forestree and Friend. We linked up, backtracked a ways, and they fished a particularly enticing spot with woodcock innards... The fish seemed to love them, but nothing struck or stuck hard enough to catch. Forestree had rigged up a line on a short piece of cane, and Friend was using his small rod and reel. Intestines seemed to work, but heart, liver, and leg/wing meat worked better. Perhaps it's the blood in the meat.

After getting hungry, we headed back to camp for lunch. On the way back, we found a cypress and I stripped off some bark for "Natural tinder" for bushclass intermediate. Here's a few shots of their tents and Forestree's ax/knife target range.
    7-axe target w-tents.jpg

And here's Friend demonstrating his axemanship.
    8-chopping.jpg

We spent the afternoon screwing around... Forestree worked on his lean-to and supershelter projects, Friend worked on a jet stove, and I set fire to my cypress bark and planked some bacon to see if it would work, and if it cooked up any better.
    13-cypress tinder lit.jpg

Here's the bacon pinned to an oak slab and set up in front of the fire (came out sideways. sorry.) Hard to do... Had to drill holes with my awl, and the pegs didn't like being driven in.
    10-planked bacon.jpg

I had set the slab up vertically for awhile, but with our fire being hardwood, there weren't a lot of tall flames, so you can see that one end (the lower part) of the slab got so hot it charred. I turned it sideways and laid it up on the grill to get a better 'roast' going.
    11-planked sideways.jpg

The net result was one piece of badly cooked but edible bacon, and another piece of good bacon that took 3 times longer and about 10 times more work to cook than had I simply woven it onto a stick like a marshmallow or hotdog (my prefered method, outside of using a pan). So, don't bother wasting your time planking bacon, and if you do, use a softer wood than oak.

We got supper going eventually, and I'll let Forestree explain the beer bread (superb, btw.) Guess we went to bed around 12, after spending some time putting up a large tarp in case it rained (forecast, but didn't occur). It got down to 57 last night, a huge change over Friday night, and we just slept in late (well, ok... I slept in late) and piddled around camp Sunday morning. I left around lunchtime.

Forestree and Friend took a bunch of pics as well... Don't know if we got any of Friend's jet stove, but he got it going well, and I'll let them post up their pics now. Overall, the weather held, we learned a lot, and had a lot of fun. For you lot who couldn't make it for whatever reasons, you missed some good food and good times.

edit. As I was being driven back up to my car, Forestree joked what a strenuous hike up it had been, then stopped the ATV exactly with the wagon lined up with my trunk. I thanked him and he said "well, remember, I work for tips". I told him "always remember to change your socks."

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  3. Forestree

Forestree Treeforest Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Had a great time hanging out in the woods this weekend. Awesome weather and fun times! Wish more folks could of made it....maybe next time. I'm not a good writer but here's some pics I took

Seeker in his Whelen
    Campout Jan 30 - 001.jpg

Sitting in Seeker's bush chair which was really comfortable (plan on making one of these)
    Campout Jan 30 - 003.jpg

Throwing knives

Campout Jan 30 - 005.jpg

Hanging out in camp

Campout Jan 30 - 006.jpg

Seeker got a wood cock

Campout Jan 30 - 011.jpg

A dude in camo

Campout Jan 30 - 015.jpg

Doing some fishing and soaking up some sun

Campout Jan 30 - 025.jpg

Find the fisherman

Campout Jan 30 - 031.jpg

Firesteel and natural tinder fun

Campout Jan 30 - 035.jpg

Sunday morning at the camp

Campout Jan 30 - 041.jpg

I had a great time and learned some new stuff. It was the first time I've camped with a tarp set up over the fire.....very cool stuff and thanks to Seeker for the guidance. I learned many things this weekend all while having a great time. Looking forward to doing it again :)

4. Seeker

Blog Posts:
  5. Katdaddy

Katdaddy Scout

Blog Posts:
    Looks like a good time. I had planned to drive over to see some LA rocks, but life got in the way, as often happens. Maybe next time.

6. KajunKat

KajunKat Guide

Blog Posts:
    I should have went with yall. I got skunked deer hunting. Oh well, still got to enjoy the outdoors, looks like you did too!

7. Seeker

Blog Posts:
    You should have! LOTS of food... I'm still hurtin'.

There will be other times.

8. riverjoe

riverjoe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Good ol Kisatchee . Armadillos , pitch pine , hunting deer with beagles ...... I almost miss it sometimes . Ok I do miss it sometimes .
    Great get together guys .

Those Woodcock are a whole lot like Snipe . About the same size etc . with the same long bill and about the same yield . Yes there really is a Snipe season or at least there used to be .

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  9. Forestree

Forestree Treeforest Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Hold on now, the last time I went snipe hunting.....never mind ;)

There still is a snipe season and ends here on Feb. 27 and woodcock season ended on Jan. 31. I've never seen a snipe, but there's lots of woodcocks around. Despite what they say, I'm still not convinced there really is a snipe :33: