1. Due to the amount of SPAM from foreign countries lately, we have made the decision to manually approve all new members. While we regret that this must be done and the added time that it will take for new members to be approved, it is necessary at this time. We hope to have legitimate new members approved in a timely manner, no longer than a couple of hours. If the Administrators are online at the time, it can be as soon as a couple of minutes. Thank you for your patience.
    Dismiss Notice

Ladies of bushcraft

Discussion in 'General Bushcraft Discussion' started by Medicine maker, Sep 6, 2017.

1. leaf and lightning

leaf and lightning Guide

Blog Posts:
    I honestly never know when a woman posts something unless she a) posts a picture of herself, or b) makes a point to mention it in her post. Sometimes the name or avatar is a hint, but with this crowd, you never can tell. And really, it's never been that big of a concern for me. Sure, ladies doing typically "unladylike" stuff is cool, and I do like seeing it, but it's never been why I come here.

MrFixIt, rsnurkle, Tiwaz and 4 others like this.
  2. Zoomie

Zoomie Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Interesting read.

A couple pics of Mrs Zoomie doing her thing.

I have always tried to help empower my wife. She is far more intelligent and tough than she gives herself credit for. Because of this, I've encouraged her to become competent in the woods, survival, self defense, etc. And she thrives accomplishing things on her own.

We spent the day in the woods and she wanted to see if she could make fire. She had basic tools and gathered/prepared her raw materials. I only answered a question or two. I thought it important that she learn and work at her pace. Most importantly, work through learning.

It was interesting to watch her work and solve problems. An excellent example is her choice of Baton. I laughed when she dragged what appeared to be half a tree over to use as a baton. She explained that with a larger baton, she could mitigate lack of strength by dropping the large baton versus pounding away. To me, this was some brilliant thinking in finding a process that worked best for her.

And yes, we both did the Tom Hanks 'I made fire' dance!

IMG_3704.JPG IMG_3702.JPG IMG_3705.JPG IMG_3701.JPG

3. Bonkerz

Bonkerz Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:

And this is where I confess that I used to kinda', sorta' have a thing for Lisa Kelly of Ice Road Truckers.

[​IMG]

:cool:

4. Carabnr

Carabnr Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Bushy Trip to our family camp in Maine. We own this vintage camp, built in 27 and 28 as a group of share holders. We have a logging plan to keep the taxes low, so much of the back acreage has now been logged. We did use some of the spruce from the property to reside the back of the Mainland camp several years ago. My great grandfather and his wife were into the wilderness experience, had the camp built and they would spend their summers there with their children in the 20's and 30's and 40's. There are now about 30 shareholders of extended cousins, the second generation "fossils" have since passed. My mothers cousin who is from CA was on the Mainland with his family (none of whom I've ever met before). He told me that I am the primary user, even though I live 1,000 miles away.

One of the guys had trouble getting the sauna going, and decided to try a little boat gasoline to get things moving along. Needless to say the old Scandinavian sauna stove blew flames like a dragon. His family watched him jump into the lake while his legs were on fire. First and second degree burns were sustained over probably half of his leg surface area. I think he did OK considering. Thankfully the sauna and the rest of the Mainland camp didn't burn down.

I took a whole bunch of bushcrafty pics on this trip, but I'm having issues transferring them to my computer, and then up loading to this site is time consuming.

When we got to the camp in Maine we had no agenda except my husband wanted to go fishing so we toated our WW canoe up there to head out on the rivers, and I wanted to find some birch so I brought some weapons of destruction. We found a pile of 90 year old slab siding that had been cut at an angle, and laid next to the decrepit fire pit. The humusy earth around the pit was dangerously close with fat lighter roots reaching under it from an old stump nearby. The camp is on a small island that suffers from erosion, the fire pit was on unstable ground, and my forefathers had piled old logs there to build up the earth around the rocks. Now rotten from decay, nearly to the level of soil. This ended up becoming a much bigger project than I had anticipated, I happily worked my butt off surrounded by water and amazing views.

So we rebuilt the fire pit collecting gravel and rock from our surrounding property around the lake by canoe. We dug out about 4-6 inches down and 2-3 feet out from the original pit and created a dry fit rock terrace. I also stabilized the undermining erosion with old logs and pinned them in with cedar spikes. My husband helped me cut and transport large pieces of curved fresh cut cedar, leaving some branches a few feet long and inter twined them with the small trees and earth at the waters edge.

I looked at that pile of partially rotted slab siding and said that looks like a chair, and began placing the pieces together into a recliner near the pit over an area that had been stabilized with old logs. I used 2mlarge cedar logs as the base, and split another one for the lower support. If you look at the pics on my instagram site you can see how the arms supported the knee rest. After dry fitting and trimming everything up I spiked it all together. Tools included my new Robert Larsen draw knife, Silke, 2 Hoffman carving axes, vintage chisels and a dysfunctional brace set up.

I cut the partially dead tree down with my Silke Ultra-excell and nearly brained my husband sitting in the canoe. I thought I was getting chaga it was so dark, but it turned out to be nice burls, and it was spalted in the center. The outer part of the tree was still alive though, so I decided to make a shrink pot. Just got the carving of the momma and baby black bear about done. I plan on carving a resemblance of the Island camp on the larger burl on the other side.

Been carving on my birch burl shrink pot since I got back last week. Still more to go. You know how greenwood working is. You just got to keep going till your a quarter to a half inch thick to keep it from cracking. Hollowed out the big bear to keep it from cracking. We'll see how it does over time. It's shrinking up pretty well, almost tight. I used a fluted chisel to make the groove while sitting in my stacked slab siding chair. I hewed the bottom from an old piece of firewood, shaped it carefully and popped it in. Wasn't sure it would tighten up enough but this week (2) it seems like it's gonna fit almost perfectly.

Was gonna post in the carver clan but, technical difficulties and feeling kind of isolated over there. Not as many views as on the regular other skills site... I'm not for a shebush site. Too isolating, but I do think it would be cool to have more communication between us.... @MommaJ and I have been chatting it up a bit ever since the t.darrah Women's Challenge this spring
    https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/thre...s-only-challenge-2.194243/page-4#post-3387477

You can brouse my IG account, there's some good pics of the work I did there. https://www.instagram.com/carabnr/

5. Bonkerz

Bonkerz Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  6. MommaJ

MommaJ Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    @Carabnr as @bacpacjac Your right with some of the other areas being more isolating in regards to postings. The main site is 100%more rewarding

@Carabnr that is an amazing area you guys have up in Maine. I cannot wait to head up in Oct and see my dad's new property. I still wish he didn't sell his camp in Appleton.

7. bacpacjac

bacpacjac Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I shared a real life campfire with one of those guys last week. You know the type: know it all, questions everything, tries to show you a better way but doesn't appear to have a strong skill base to walk the talk... It was easy to take it as sexist thing and it sucked the life out of my campfire experience. Whether real or perceived, that's something I've never experienced once around this virtual campfire of ours here at BCUSA. :) For that, I commend you all. Truly.

8. Tiwaz

Tiwaz Scout

Blog Posts:
    Even as a male, mansplaining annoys the ever living crap out of me. Working in the male-dominated IT field, I see it nearly every day. Against women who *built* half of our stuff. That's men, usually the users explaining to the female *engineer* how the system *she* built works. And incorrectly, too.

9. gohammergo

gohammergo Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Funny stuff. Not to sidetrack too much here, but I've been a carpenter all of my life. My wife is a car and truck girl. She does body work and sells used parts, both truck and atv.

For example, we are parting out her Chevy truck that I hit the deer with last Monday. We've had folks come to get parts and they come right up to me and start asking questions about them. Most are quite surprised when I refer them to the mechanic in the family, and she's wearing a pink cammo hoody! :)

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming. :)

10. gohammergo

Blog Posts:
    @Zoomie , great job on the fire making. :)

11. gohammergo

Blog Posts:
    @Carabnr , excellent work there. It's pretty obvious that you are at home in the woods, and very capable. Thanks for the IG link. Great pictures. :)

12. stillscout

stillscout Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    She posted media that was deemed inappropriate, she's on Facebook.

13. Carabnr

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the nice comment @gohammergo I have always loved the woods and woodworking. I did a 4 year apprenticeship when I first started working, and worked as a carpenter full time for 13 years, so I developed my skills early, and now I'm moving away from power tools and loving green woodworking. I have always camped and paddled but I still have a lot to learn about bush crafting, I really enjoy this site.

14. gohammergo

Blog Posts:
    @Carabnr it's great to see females in the trades. I've been swinging a hammer for over 35 years and some of the best trim work I've ever seen was done by a middle aged gal from Sweden.

I use power tools on the job, but I also build furniture and other things with strictly hand tools. Hand cut dovetail cedar blanket chests and such.

15. MommaJ

MommaJ Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I so wish now that I had taken advantages of different trade opportunities when I was younger.

16. Carabnr

Blog Posts:
    Just keep working at it with friends that have skills. It's not too late @MommaJ

17. PMSteve

PMSteve Old Timey Outdoorsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
  18. Angus McGunnigl

Angus McGunnigl Scout

Blog Posts:
    I think BCUSA may want to not make a women's only area. I think the world is full of splintered and separated groups of people. BCUSA is, IMO, the best online forum I have found when it comes to real people sharing real info and experiences. The BCUSA tribe is great !

19. Zoomie

Blog Posts:
    I agree. This group has the heart ❤️ to support the tribe mentality. I could care less about the sex of a poster.

20. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
  21. Medicine maker

Medicine maker Scout

Blog Posts:
    Wow thanks everyone. Youve been making this thread amazing. I dont see a reason to create a women only section.

If someone has a good picture or a good story the reason this thread is here is to hear the experiences of others just with a bit of tilt to women. Not trying to turn the entire forum on its head or rewrite anything.

I have enjoyed what people had posted so far and I hope others have too. Honestly @ Zoomie bringing the tree to help baton is precisely the thing Im looking for. That's an ideal example of what I wanted to see.

I hope to see more, because this is amazing.

22. Winterhorse

Winterhorse Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Ahem...you ARE younger...just sayin'

bacpacjac, gohammergo and MrFixIt like this.
  23. KFF

KFF Tracker

Blog Posts:

Wild guess, did she talk about the hygiene stuff? Ie. thus deeming it impossible to talk certain girl bits?

Not so buchcrafty but one of the only pics of me.

Terhinkuvatelokuu07040_zpse5b2d9d0.jpg

24. Zoomie

Blog Posts:
    I don't want to make this a man/woman thing. But in all fairness I'm not so sure we men would have been wise enough to work with inertia versus 'put some more heinie in that swing!'

25. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
  26. stillscout

Blog Posts:
    What difference does it make!

MrFixIt, bacpacjac and Winterhorse like this.
  27. Youcantreadinthedark

Youcantreadinthedark Chaotic Neutral. Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
  28. KFF

KFF Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Creating a Girls only subforum and being banned for talking girl bits?
    Erm, the whole point is the difference.

MrFixIt, bacpacjac and Winterhorse like this.
  29. stillscout

Blog Posts:
    So! Is that the case?

MrFixIt and bacpacjac like this.