Land for Sale?

Discussion in 'Ohio' started by Rarrapuda, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Rarrapuda

Rarrapuda Supporter Supporter

I am in northeast Ohio (Cleveland area) and I am looking to purchase some land for camping/bushcrafting, maybe even put in a small off-grid cabin. I am guessing I would want a couple acres, probably 5 max, maybe more if the price was good. It would need to be wooded and secluded of course. I don't do any hunting and wouldn't use the land for that, would be nice to do some target practice though. Access to water is a plus but not really needed I guess.

Everything I am finding is owned by realty companies and the prices are jacked way up. Any ideas on where to look or if someone has a line on something? I would like to keep travel time around 2 hours max one way.

I would also be interested in finding someone who owns private land that would let me and maybe some other friends just come camp/bushcraft on their land once and a while for a small fee every trip.

2. DennisC

DennisC Tracker

Generally just look where they cant farm and isnt going to be annexed by a city anytime soon. I'm in nw ohio and pretty much gave up looking anywhere around here. I look toward northern michigan. You might be able to get into the foothills and find some decently priced land

3. Wasp

Wasp DOWN IN DIXIE Supporter

Go drive around on weekends in areas you would like to own property. Make a trip out of it. Stop if you see larger lands for sale as they may break it up. Ask at gas stations, fire dept, and even if you just see some folks out and about. Trust me this works.

Lots of people not only are selling land but some will even carry the note. Just make sure the language in the contract is fair and protects you both. Its usually much more favorable than a bank and if you find a good person and are pretty regular about paying and something happens or comes up, they are often much more forgiving short term.

I would either want a water source on site or want to drill a well. Be sure and have water samples tested.

Good luck.

4. roberthoward

roberthoward Tracker

Brunner Realty sells rural land in SE OHIO.

TrespassersWilliam and Rarrapuda like this.
  5. svh

svh Supporter Supporter

You and yours can come to my ground anytime ….. I'm in Missouri though ….. Plenty of land around here for sale.

6. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Finding that piece of land has always been difficult for me. Newspaper ads work sometimes. I bought two beautiful chunks of land by finding them in the paper of all things. One, high in the rockies in Colorado, right on the National Forest boundary. The other, 40 acres of high desert, surrounded by thousands of empty acres, with trees and river view of all things. For 12 grand!
    The other way is to talk to everyone you can find. Stop at farms/homes/stores in the area you like. Get to know folks.

Rarrapuda and TrespassersWilliam like this.
  7. TrespassersWilliam

TrespassersWilliam Supporter Supporter

Sometimes large parcels of land are bound by covenant to stay within a family. A long term lease can be a practical alternative.

Rarrapuda and NevadaBlue like this.