Laplander v. Corona, quick test

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by VtBlackDog, Aug 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. VtBlackDog

VtBlackDog Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Thanks to JasonJ who let me try his Corona saw, so I could run it against my Laplaner....

It arrived today so I got out this evening to do a comparison.

20180810_191750.jpg 20180810_191534.jpg

I cut a birch log about 4 and a half inches thick.

Corona 1:45
    Laplander 4:45

The Coronas longer blade, more aggressive teeth and ergonomic handle gave it a noticeable edge. The Corona was easier to control and was less prone to jumping out of the kerf.

The Laplander felt a bit lighter (I didn't weigh them) and is more compact. Both fit in my pack easily but the laplander can be carried in a jacket pocket. Actually the laplander is always in my pack and I don't even know it's there until it's needed.

So....for getting firewood the Corona seems to win hands down. However the laplander carries like a feather and is handy for crafting (I mostly use it for collecting spoon blanks)...I'd conclude by saying I think the laplander is a handy edc., while the Corona is an efficient tool...thanks again JasonJ!

20180810_205647.jpg

2. webscrounger

webscrounger Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Don’t have either. Assuming steel quality was comparible, just by looking at them I’d pick the Corona just because of the more agressive looking tooth design. I’d assume they would cut faster.

3. Crusher0032

Crusher0032 Appalachian Arthfael Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have that same Corona and love it. Its great for firewood and assisting with trail maintenance. Ive cut a lot of smaller blowdowns off the trails this summer with mine. Pretty sure thats the 10" model, but they make one that's closer to the Bahco's size at around 7". Can't beat it for the price, availability, and performance.

4. Coryphene

Coryphene Guide

Blog Posts:
    If cutting through very dry wood or bone, the Laplander might be a better choice. If cutting green and/or very soft woods, the biggest teeth win.

Another thing to consider in cutting speed is length. A longer stroke means more cutting per stroke. That Corona is also a pull saw which, if done right, means you can relax on the push so you only use the larger pulling muscles for the work.

I don't own a Corona (yet) but my Silky Gomboy is similar to the Corona and cuts like a rabid laser.

5. Richinva

Richinva Lover of Sharpened Bits of Steel... Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I think this is a key statement. I You can pull/control much more efficiently than I you can push, at least with these two saws. My Corona cuts much faster/better than the Laplander, for sure. Not much chance of bending the blade on a pull stroke. My choice of handsaws has changed dramatically as well, I much prefer a Ryoba or Dozuki now for most things, especially dovetails.

Excellent, thought-provoking thread here!!!

6. SpookyPistolero

SpookyPistolero Slow learner Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Good stuff. Sometimes I think of getting a replacement for my Laplander, but it's just such a handy size and performs reasonably.

7. JasonJ

JasonJ Guide

Blog Posts:
    Pick up the 7"Corona saw. If you don't like it you're not out much or you could pass it on in a GAW.

I love using the Corona over other similar sawas. I'm sure the Silky saws would cut very similarly if not the same, but be of higher build quality and materials.

For $19 this thing is hard to beat. We did a weight measurement in another comparison thread before, and I think 7" to 7" the Corona actually weighed less. Bonus for the Bahco was that its shape lead to a very easy saw to pocket carry or store in a sheath.

The tooth style on the Bahco is more universal in what woods it'll cut, and might be better in dry woods for some cuts. Certainly it can make thinner cuts for crafting, but that's not what the Corona is made to do.

The Corona saw is made to cut wood straight through, delimb trees, shrubs, and otherwise rip right through wood. It's the circular saw of outdoor folding saws. Heavy work, get your rough cut a done fast.

For crafting, for careful and deliberate cuts, honestly I use the long and powerful for its size saw on my SAK's. The saw on my 111mm vic OHT is fantastic. I've harvested upwards of 2" trees with it (the trees were marked for removal by the property owner).

The Bahco is still great, but the Corona saws are more saw for your money and cut faster for longer. My opinion based on years of personal experience.

@VtBlackDog , glad you liked it. Keep using it for a while and get more field time... Report back here if your experience changes, or you find out anything new about using it that people should know.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  8. VtBlackDog

VtBlackDog Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Quick update /comparison from the field

Full sized bucksaw, bahco raker blade...same log (probably about 4 inches diameter by now)
    38 seconds..

20180811_142005.jpg

9. JasonJ

JasonJ Guide

Blog Posts:
    Hard to beat a great buck or bow saw. So much blade length to use and you can get two hands on it and really move it back and forth without tiring quickly.

10. MadMarcus

MadMarcus Tracker

Blog Posts:
    D198E532-FB4A-44D7-8540-6907D446ACB9.jpeg The Coronas are great saws, especially for the money. Bow or buck saws are hard to beat if you really want to get some work done, but they’re harder to carry. My solution, a little bow saw. I can’t stick in in my pocket but it easily fits a a ruck and when working it hangs easily over a belt knife handle or hatchet head, ready for quick use.