LCR questions. 22mag

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Paulyseggs, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Paulyseggs

Paulyseggs Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'd really like a lighter snub. I love my 640 but in summer I'm wearin swim trunks or basketball shorts about all the time.
    I have a Keltec P3AT that I carry in a small Desantis IWB that I clip on my shorts. Light. But not the most well made gun. Its reliable. But, there's alot of buts...

I remember having a scandium 44mag and a snub in 357. Both were great to carry but sucked to shoot. Even with specials a day at the range was a struggle.
    S&W really doesn't make anything in 22mag and my price range. So it's Ruger.

I've only dry fired a LCR and I didn't hate it.

I could carry it in State Forests (rimfire only) here. Woodchuck, yotes, porcupine & skunk are open all summer. Ample pot filling opportunity:4: it would be dual use. I would carry it on hikes and walking out in the world.

Something I could put in my pocket and fish the ponds in that forest & IF I saw a critter I could take it. Then on the way home I don't feel unarmed stopping at 7/11 or Walmart AND I don't have to leave a pack with a rifle in it in my car.

How's the DA pull?
    Would you get the LCRX over the LCR?
    Does it shoot to the sights?
    Misfires?
    How well does it eject the empties?

I know alot of folks are not going to like it (22mag) for SD, I'm ok with it. Not looking to argue.

Id like a 327 Fed more but I have 2x more use for the 22mag.

Oakenhart, alukban and Mr. Tettnanger like this.
  2. jstert

jstert Scout

Blog Posts:
    i had a ruger lcr 22wmr and have a lcr 22lr. imho the 6 shot 22wmr had too much flashbang for insufficient result out of a short barrel, compared to the more pleasant 8 shot 22lr. even with 22wmr handgun specific ammo, it wasn’t worth it, for me anyway. on the other hand, the ruger lcr 22lr is an overall nice piece. i strongly suggest the exposed hammer lcr-x for more accurate single action, longer distance shooting.

as to o.p.’s questions:

spent shell ejection is fine, but i was taught old school: barrel pointed up, hold open cylinder with weak hand, sharp rap on ejection rod with palm of strong hand.

my dao lcr 22lr is mostly a 3-3-3 rapid fire, soft, plinker and ccw: 3” inch groups at 3 yards all the way through a 3” telephone book. at 50’ i can hit clay shotgun targets half the time, at 100’ i’m not hitting much. single action capability would help.

long trigger reset in rapid fire means two shot strings only, otherwise cylinder doesn’t stage properly. slower shooting is fine, no hang ups.

speedloader reload isn’t as slick as with a 38sp snubbie.

very pocketable.

o.p.’s locale and intended use are a fine match. mine is a woodswalker too. eight stingers or vipers ought to be useful medicine against a feral/mad/rabid sub 50lb quadraped that is my main worry outdoors. it’s a sometimes ccw in town too, but i’m away from biped apex predators.

963BDBFF-50F4-4E2E-AB9F-62AB74337B05.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    FreeMe, savage99nc, Oakenhart and 4 others like this.
  3. WFR

WFR Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I owned a S&W 651 with a 4” barrel and it was entirely too loud for what it was. Ear-piercing loud! I found that a standard .22LR or .38 was a better choice and sold it.

4. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I EDC pocket carry an LCRx 3" .38 with no problems concerning misfires/ejections after about 150 practice rounds in 2 years. Can't comment on sights as I only target practice at 10 yds. max. and use sights as came in box. That said I have used the LCR .22 LR snubbies (no hammer) from friends that EDC in pocket them and would have no qualms EDC the LCR .22 if I didn't have the .38 especially up here in Maine North woods or what passes for cities up here where the chance of a gangland or X street/parking lot shoot out is practically nil.

5. Paulyseggs

Blog Posts:
    Thanks! That good 1st hand info. The 22mag is quite a barker!

My lean on the mag vs Lr is this. I've never had a misfire in a 22mag.

My only 22mag is a Single Six converable but I did have a NAA BlackWidow. And in both guns I did have misfires in 22lr. But never in 22mag.

To a lesser extent the bullet on a mag is fully seated and has a crimp, 22lr is healed. I tend to get wet. Wether on purpose or accident (when I was a kid, my uncle and his buddies had a pool going on what time I would fall in:4:) and I feel the 22mag may be more water resistant. Even if I seal the case mouths myself.

Also I can make an adapter to fire LR in a Mag. But not the other way around

jstert and alukban like this.
  6. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    40 S&W & 22 Mag fan residing in New England
    Triggers in 22mag da revolvers are usually heavy. It’s because the case is lil thicker and it’s a ref. Ruger has been lighter than S&W. But many say spring kit.. but that failed twice before. As much as I too suggest spring kits on most guns they seem to flop on Maggie’s,.

I lean to a SA when I need a revolver. Trimmer usually lighter and usually not a deputations as defense in the woods is lil different.

I really wish the bear cat was a Maggie...

Sure it’s loud! It’s the lilest LOUDEMBOOMER ain’t it! :rolleyes:;)

CW

Paulyseggs and alukban like this.
  7. alukban

alukban Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have reconciled myself with the fact that I simply can’t shoot short OR super light revolvers as well as those that are not.

For me, if it’s going to be small, it better be steel for some heft.

If it’s going to be light, it better be long to have the lever arm of weight “out there” for shooting stability => accuracy.

For me, what is missing in the market that shooters truly need is a lightweight kit revolver that has a HEAVY BULL BARREL so that the flippin’ thing can actually be shot with consistent, EASY accuracy.

I will take the mild weight penalty for a marked increase in achievable shooting accuracy and real, additional mechanical sighting precision afforded by a heavy, longer bull barrel.

WISH: Ruger should make an LCRx in .22 LR with a 4+” BULL BARREL.

You heard it here first.

You’re welcome :D

ezra45, FreeMe, savage99nc and 2 others like this.
  8. jstert

jstert Scout

Blog Posts:
    ive put well over 3000 rounds through my lcr 22lr. only two hangup issues: rapid fire as i mentioned, and cheap winchester ammo. anything cci, hot aguila, remington golden bullets or vipers, federal all have been fine.

i got my lcr early in its life cycle before the exposed hammer lcr-x came to market. if i could have a redo it would be to get the exposed hammer because i generally like single action revolvers. i shoot the ruger sr22 more, but the lcr 22lr is quite pocketable and handy, very nice nonapex predator piece. you really cannot go wrong with it.

as for a 22wmr handgun, a 5.5” ruger single six is the sweet spot, but it’s obviously an open carry piece, wish that i could...

savage99nc and Paulyseggs like this.
  9. Robedsubset

Robedsubset Scout

Blog Posts:
    I like my LCR 38. I haven’t carried it a lot as I usually bring my S&W Model 60. It is definitely a reliable, lightweight, and reasonably priced gun

Paulyseggs and savage99nc like this.
  10. FreeMe

FreeMe Guide

Blog Posts:
    FWIW, I used to (long ago) pack a little Beretta m21 quite often. I shot it a lot for practice. Really a lot. Although I did with other loads, I never had a single failure to fire with CCI Stingers or Mini Mags.

OTOH, in that short little barrel, even 22lr is LOUD.

alukban and Paulyseggs like this.
  11. FreeMe

FreeMe Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm right there with ya. I shoot heavy barrels best. My 5" Taurus 94 is a tack driver.

12. Paulyseggs

Blog Posts:
    I shoot heavier things better. But I rarely carry them. If I did I'd carry my s&w 41 alot more. But at over 1000grams its a bit too much for me.
    I'd rather carry water and a gun I shoot a bit worse. Than just a gun.

And heavy guns don't work well in pajama pants. (Yes. I carry in pajama pants)

scottman likes this.
  13. Mr. Tettnanger

Mr. Tettnanger Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Interesting viewpoints. I appreciate this input. Thank you!

14. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    40 S&W & 22 Mag fan residing in New England
    IMHO (and yes I'm a bit of a 22 mag nut) The 22 mag is about as perfect a trail gun as ya could ask for at least in places that dont have big claws and heavy bones.
    Around here there are bear but they dont bother ya Coyotes and dogs are far mor likely to be a problem and the mag is well Up to that task. First hand dozens of times. I can tell ya its just fine.

CW

15. scottman

scottman Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I'd like to eventually get some trigger time on one and the 22 lr model. I ordered some other guns and have to get those done first.

Me personally for what you listed I'd get the hammer model.

16. Mr. Tettnanger

Blog Posts:
    What about the heavy Ruger SP101 22lr 4"?

17. alukban

alukban Guide

Blog Posts:
    Kinda on the heavy side and more K frame equivalent.

The polymer LCR with a bull barrel would really be the bees knees, the more I think about it.

You guys already know I strongly favor a 6” barreled I frame because it has the shootable accuracy + lightweight.

[​IMG]

jstert, Paulyseggs and Mr. Tettnanger like this.
  18. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:

If you're going to look at the SP 101, you should also give the S&W 63 a looksee.

Paulyseggs and Mr. Tettnanger like this.
  19. Mr. Tettnanger

Blog Posts:
    The S&W 63 has risen to the top of my buy pile!

Paulyseggs and PAcanis like this.
  20. Wasp

Wasp DOWN IN DIXIE Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I would get the LCRX if I were to get one. For my needs I'd prefer. 22 LR in a 2" barrel. One day maybe.

Mr. Tettnanger and Paulyseggs like this.
  21. Paulyseggs

Blog Posts:
    I am leaning towards the lcrx. 3in would be cool but i have my 22/45 for that. The snub would fill 2 roles. A bit more practical

Mr. Tettnanger likes this.