Leather craft

Discussion in 'Self-made Gear' started by Flint_2016, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Flint_2016

Flint_2016 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Project for a rainy day.Though only an amateur and having limited tools,I enjoy leathercrafts.I make items for my everyday carry gear that goes in my daypack,and/or overnighter pack such as a sewing kit,dangler knife sheath for my TOPS FieldCraft B.O.B. knife,possibles bag,ax mask,and a case for an Altoids tin where I keep cotton wads moisturized with Vaseline for my combustibles kit(tinder/accelerant).I buy the leather from Michaels Craft Store,and a muzzleloading shop(http://www.dixonmuzzleloading.com/)near my hometown.Dixons by the way has a gunmakers fair in July,(see website).There I buy my leather,but also hardware like buckles,waxed thread,and other findings for my hobby.I don't take on big projects like buckskin shirts as I don't have the best cutting tools and buckskin and elkskin is pricey there, or anywhere.I also make Native American crafts such as trade bead and Bison tooth necklaces,breastplates adorned with beads,bear claws,and feathers,and knives.Supplies/findings are mostly bought from craft stores,ebay.com,and crazycrow.com(http://www.crazycrow.com/native-american-craft-supplies).

9 11 15 (5).jpg
    purse (6).jpg
    013.jpg
    craftwrk (19).jpg
    canon 015.jpg
    Canon EOS 006.jpg
    danglersheath (5).jpg
    nng (17).jpg

Attached Files:

2. druid189

druid189 Scout

Blog Posts:
    nicely done. If you want a good waterproofing compound, feel free to use mine [long time family recipe]:

1 lb filtered beeswax [Amazon.com], 8 oz boiled linseed oil and 8 oz turpentine. Break apart the block of wax and drop it into a cleaned, 1 lb metal coffee can. put the can on low heat [kitchen stove is fine] and when it's melted, remove from heat and add the BLO and turpentine. slowly mix with a clean paint stirrer until it begins to solidify. keep the lid on when not using it.

To use, put on a latex glove and scrape "curls" of wax with your thumbnail. Rub it into the leather and hit it with LOW heat from a heat gun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

End result:
    [​IMG]

Jonah L. Archer and woodsmanjohn like this.
  3. Coryphene

Coryphene Guide

Blog Posts:
    I use something VERY similar. I have two really. One just like this one for waterproofing leather and canvas. And another for waterproofing and conditioning general leather items. For this one I add 5% total weight carnuba wax, 10% coconut oil, 20% neatsfoot oil, and 5% lanolin. Makes some amazing stuff for waterproofing, conditioning, and polish. A little carnuba (car wax but bought in its pure flake form) really brings out the shine!

I second your "LOW HEAT" warning as when first melting dressing into a leather panel, I used too high heat and cooked the outside of the leather. First time I bent it, the grain split. Be careful and get it just warm enough to start melting in.

Jonah L. Archer likes this.
  4. Coryphene

Coryphene Guide

Blog Posts:
    Nice work! Make some nice stuff with limited resources. Just goes to show that it isn't the tools, it's the craftsman!

5. Flint_2016

Flint_2016 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Thanks all.

6. Foragecraft

Foragecraft Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have been dabbling in leather craft for a couple of years now. I too make items that I can use when I am hiking/foraging. The tools I use are basic, but it is quite enjoyable and rewarding to use something that you have made according to your own tastes and criteria. I have made some belts, knife sheaths, pouches, axe/tomahawk masks and over-strike handle wraps. I do not dye my leather, but rather waterproof it. I find this gives the leather a nice and uniform medium brown color. I waterproof it inside and outside. The inside waterproofing helps to inhibit moisture from collecting, thus allowing me to store my edged tools in their sheaths for longer periods of time, without causing the metal to rust. Below are some pictures of a baldric carry system that I use for my Wetterlings, my CRKT Woods Chogan and my BK4 Machax, as well as some belts I have made. The axe/tomahawk carrying loop is made to fits both and it can be attached to the baldric strap or on a belt for belt carry. This is the same for the Machax sheath. The button, toggle and beads on the axe/tomahawk masks are carved out of Eastern Red Cedar (one of my favorite woods for carving). The factory handle scales on my Machax broke, so I made some out of Red Oak. I also stripped the blade coating off of it and did a two stage patina on the blade.

IMG_3445.JPG IMG_3447.JPG IMG_3446.JPG IMG_3448.JPG
    IMG_3444.JPG IMG_3450.JPG
    IMG_3451.JPG

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016