Leather Work

Discussion in 'Other Skills' started by LostViking, Aug 10, 2018.

1. LostViking

LostViking Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have had the desire to try my hand at some leather work.

I have slowly been gathering a few simple tools. Grabbed a bag of scraps and and exacto knife. Have yet to get a stitching awl.

Yesterday was a positive first step. I had a puukko in a very light colored sheath. So I dyed it to a nice Saddle Tan color. I thought it came out well. I'll try and post up a photo or two over the weekend.

I never thought about taking a before shot, so after shots will have to do. Sorry.

Certainly nothing earth shattering, but a step in the right direction.

I also bought and used a Leather Punch. I bought the hammer driven variety. Almost went the wheel/plier route. But these were way cheaper and I'll see how the utilization goes.

The hardest part for me was retying the wrapped Scandinavian belt loop when I was done.
    I am a knot guy and this simple little procedure still condounded me for thirty minutes.

It was a fun little project. And it went well enough to drive me to continue forward.
    LV,

2. Bitterroot Native

Bitterroot Native Indigenous Skills Junkie Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Leather working is an awesome skill to have! Don't limit yourself to just the rock hard commercial leathers, soft tanned leathers like buckskin are a bit easier to work with and look/function great for all sorts of items. Looking forward to seeing some pics :dblthumb:

buckfynn and LostViking like this.
  3. LostViking

LostViking Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Here is the sheath.

The one on the left arrived as you see it. And is a few years old. The one on the right was considerably lighter in color than the belt loop you see.

[​IMG]

I thought it turned out well. I left the belt loop natural for some contrast. But the Huberd's Boot Oil darkened that up a bit too.

I like middle of the road shades when it comes to sheaths. Because they darken with time anyway.

will62, weltondl, Primordial and 2 others like this.