Leather working question

Discussion in 'Other Skills' started by dragonsmacker, May 10, 2018.

1. dragonsmacker

dragonsmacker Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    I have a very specific project that I can't for the life of me find the answer to anywhere else. I have a large crocodile tooth I bought from a street vendor in Miami and want to make a necklace out of it. I know I could just drill a hole in it but I want specifically to do this (posted), to make a pendant "cap" out of leather. The picture was from a seller's ad in Australia.

Can anyone who knows anything about leather possibly clue me in as to how who replicate this as far as that leather cap goes? I'm perplexed.

Attached Files:

2. Jim L.

Jim L. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Make a slightly conical tube that is a very snug fit.

Saturate with thinned hide glue tben insert the pointy end of the tooth through the wide end of the tube. The fit should be to where it is better than snug.

Fold a "tag" from the excess leather that extends from the "head" of the tooth and lightly clamp it flat.

As the leather dries, it should shrink a bit and harden some from the glue. Drill a hole through the tag and pop a wee tiny grommet in place (no problem if you can't find any), then run your cord through the hole.

Dyed raw hide would look good done this way, too.

Please show pics on how you finish this. Thanks for sharing with us.

central joe and Primordial like this.
  3. MiddleWolf

MiddleWolf Guide

Blog Posts:
    The right sized "finger" cut from a heavy leather work glove could give the same effect and it's already been sewn for you. Dye it first if you want to match the color of the picture. Leave enough slack at the tip to allow for the hole punched for the neck chord. A good glue can then be applied to the tooth and the finger pushed on and straightened before drying is complete for a smooth appearance.

Jim L. and central joe like this.
  4. Jim L.

Jim L. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Pics and proceedure report when done, please. :D