LED USB Recharge vs Batteries

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Syntria, Oct 9, 2019 at 12:52 PM.

1. Syntria

Syntria Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Hey everyone,
    I'm sure this question has come up before. I'm currently assessing my lighting needs for future outings. After gifting away the solar lamps I had and my headlamp breaking, I'm holding off grabbing something willy nilly until I decide which route to go.

Do I get all those items that use USB to recharge, and get a solar battery bank? + It could also charge my phone in a pinch.

Or get several devices that all use AAA batteries and keep an extra set?

+ Headlamp
    + Camping Lamp
    + Dog clip on light or collar
    + GPS (future item for when I go on longer solo treks).

What do you guys use?

2. Sandcut

Sandcut Sed ego sum homo indomitus Vendor Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Items that are rechargable that run out of juice are of no use until they have had time to recharge.

Batteries can be changed rapidly.

My $0.02.

BBizy, hillst1, Prairiewolf and 8 others like this.
  3. JAY

JAY Guide

Blog Posts:
    I agree, I use battery devises, as they can be bought anywhere. My pack is also a BOB, so it would be hard to say when I would be near a power source for any length of time.

Sandcut, Turtle Creek and Syntria like this.
  4. WY_Not

WY_Not Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2019 at 1:22 PM
  5. GreyOne

GreyOne Elder Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Rechargeable AA/ AAA batteries for regular use, the usb rechargeable stuff usually cannot have batteries replaced when they wear out.
    I keep one set of regular alkaline batteries in the bag if the rechargeable ones go dead.
    JMO

6. KFF

KFF Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Eneloops for the battery eaters and USB rechargeable 18650 for others.

Turtle Creek, GreyOne and Syntria like this.
  7. Brew-Jitsu

Brew-Jitsu Mora Tribe #100 Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    The Black Diamond Revolt is a lamp I'm looking at. Rechargeable and has a battery option.

Turtle Creek and Syntria like this.
  8. Syntria

Blog Posts:
    That's a really good point. The idea would be I would have two light sources between a headlamp and a camp lamp but being able to instantly swap out is a notable advantage I didn't think about.

BBizy, Sandcut and Turtle Creek like this.
  9. Syntria

Blog Posts:
    This?

https://amzn.to/2Oy9aEY

I like that it has a power read-out.

Turtle Creek likes this.
  10. Syntria

Blog Posts:
    Though to counter that. With a solar battery you could recharge those devices. So if one was lost in the wilderness for an excessive amount of time/immobile from injury they could keep juicing up their electronics, in particular phone for help.

Though most headlamps last upwards to 50-100 hours per set of batteries I think.

Turtle Creek likes this.
  11. Harper

Harper Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I use rechargeable AA/AAA batteries and have a solar as well as a regular and usb charger for them.

I prefer devices that use regular batteries and sizes. You can get the batteries from virtually anywhere and can scavange them from other devices.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019 at 9:56 PM
    GreyOne, Oni, gila_dog and 2 others like this.
  12. KFF

KFF Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    On the minimum setting yes, but that's only good to finding your boots in a tent.

Syntria likes this.
  13. JAY

JAY Guide

Blog Posts:
    My reason for batteries only comes from my buying a garmin GPS from Bass Pro a few years ago, along with recharge batteries and charger, It was a total piece of junk and only charged a partial way. Never really trusted them again.

14. Syntria

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, I don't really trust the standard Nicad whatever rechargable AA and AAA batteries. I've never had good luck with them holding a charge for very long. A little lithium battery though should last a long while and recharge well.

JAY likes this.
  15. Brew-Jitsu

Blog Posts:
    Yep! I haven't pulled the trigger due to price and some mixed reviews, but I have the same concerns as you on covering my bases. I look forward to seeing what direction you go!

Syntria likes this.
  16. Syntria

Blog Posts:
    I've also been thinking of putting a cheap on one my dog as a collar. Though a simple LED button light is enough to see where he is in the woods.

17. Syntria

Blog Posts:
    Yeah. Lumens are only 130. Most are 300+. Also just going by this. Rechargeable is less bright and only last about 65% as long as standard batteries. I am leaning towards just standard batteries. Hmm.

upload_2019-10-9_13-18-8.png

Brew-Jitsu likes this.
  18. Harper

Blog Posts:
    No batteries. Lasts forever.

https://www.uvpaqlite.com/GlowintheDarkPetProducts

Brew-Jitsu and Syntria like this.
  19. Brew-Jitsu

Blog Posts:
    I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the info. I forgot to mention that my current light is some cheapy that takes AAA. I also have a tiny brass light from CountyComm that takes AAA. I bring 4 extra batteries and make sure my stuff is full every outing. I supplement those lights with a solar Luci light that I attach to the outside of my pack. I use the Luci lighta lot at night and it saves my batteries.

20. BladeScout

BladeScout Scout

Blog Posts:
    Only lights which runs on CR123. Rechargeable, quality protected batteries from amongst others Olight.
    Also bring powerbank and extra batteries.

21. BladeScout

BladeScout Scout

Blog Posts:
  22. Oni

Oni Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have the little Streamlight in the above post. Like it a lot.

I use Eneloop AAA/AA in most of my devices. Use 18650’s in the rest. Have plug in, USB and solar charging options for all of them.

Seen too often in emergency/disaster situations that batteries fly off the shelf.

With the rechargeable option I don’t have to worry if I can’t grab a few packs of batteries. Always have a few packs around the house too.

KFF and Harper like this.
  23. Harper

Blog Posts:

Eneloops are my choice, too.

KFF likes this.
  24. Odd-Arne Oseberg

Odd-Arne Oseberg Scout

Blog Posts:
    Rechargeable CR123 all the way. My lights can be very powerful, but I mostly use them on the lowest setting. In my case, it's the cold and not the hours that kill the power.

Having only one light makes sense for going light, but if it's important you have both backup batteries and a backup light. I'll always have a couple of candles and light sticks just in case, too.

I don't think there's one solution for everything or everybody. It depends on the type and amount of use. As general camp light a small solar latern still makes a lot of sense to me. As does a candle lantern.

25. Oni

Oni Guide

Blog Posts:
    Harper likes this.
  26. Harper

Blog Posts:
    I've had them for about four years now. They still work.

The glow becomes less and less as the night progresses. Towards the end, you can still see them glowing slightly. If you hit them with a flashlight for 10-15 seconds, it recharges them.

You can't say read a book, but that is not really what they are for.

Oni likes this.
  27. Gruxxx

Gruxxx NRA Endowment Life Member Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    USB charging is a nice option, but I don't like when it's the only way to restore power. Given options, I prefer to have removable batteries. That used to mean AA or AAA batteries, but the newer, better lights are moving to 123's, which is fine since I keep a spare or two of those in my pack as well. Now if only I could swap out my cell phone's battery!

28. Hillbilly stalker

Hillbilly stalker Scout

Blog Posts:
    You can get an external battery charger from Wal mart for around $5. I use one when I'm in the swamp all day using my phone as a GPS. It's a cheap back up.

29. Gruxxx

Gruxxx NRA Endowment Life Member Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Yep, I carry one or two of those as well, but they're heavier and less convenient than swapping a fresh battery. ;)

30. Syntria

Blog Posts:
    Found my old headlamp I thought I lost. Dead. Need to get some AAA's and see if it's still working.

31. Forestree

Forestree Treeforest Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I posted a similar thread with the same questions a few months ago. After much thought and input from others I decided to totally upgrade my backwoods electronics. I decided to totally ditch AA/AAA batteries in favor of usb rechargeable devices. The main reason was to streamline things and have a more multipurpose setup that is lighter and has more power capacity at the same time.

Now that a cellphone/gps/camera is part of the backwoods items that I carry, it only made sense to me to have a “mother battery” to charge everything. No more dealing with different battery sizes/chargers and wondering how much power is left in them. Made life easier for me and my pack is lighter.

There’s plenty of different ways to go the rechargeable route and can still even use AA batteries. I use eneloop in all my AA/AAA devices. There’s chargers that will power them with solar. There’s 18650, CR123 and others as well that can be put into a battery bank/ charger to charge things as well. In the end I was looking for something simple and easy to manage. The comments about not being able to use your rechargeable device when it’s dead isn’t correct. The Nitecore headlamp and my pocket radio can both still be used when the internal battery goes dead and is hooked to the charger....you’d just have to deal with the wire. It’s a non issue as you can just recharge your light every night at bed anyway.

These are the electronics I carry (minus the cellphone) and it works for me. The Anker “mother battery” is a little overkill for what I need (13000 mah) but I’ll never run out of power for any of my trips <1 week

4734DFBD-FBE1-4EFB-B50A-89213C915B98.jpeg

MohaveGreen and Pinelogcreek like this.
  32. Hillbilly stalker

Hillbilly stalker Scout

Blog Posts:
    Mine is about the size of a women's lipstick. Can't weigh more than a small pocketknife.

Gruxxx likes this.
  33. Pinelogcreek

Pinelogcreek Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I only use replaceable batteries in my woods kit or lights that will take the, when then rechargeable dies. For travel I use aa or aaa lights with lithium batteries. The lithium’s cost more but run longer and store better in my environment. Other than a flashlight I don’t carry electronics except a phone most of the time. If I do carry the garmin Etrex I use a AA flashlight. For the phone you can simply turn it off or use airplane mode to make it last a very long time. Three or four lithium batteries last a very long time in most modern led lights on low. If your worried about runtime exclusively there is this, 1200 hours on low, that’s right 50 days all day every day. To me I want to be able to walk into almost any store and grab spare batteries.

https://www.9voltlight.com/inc/sdetail/31453/31948

BBizy and Harper like this.
  34. Young Blacksmith

Young Blacksmith Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I use a Petzl Actik Core headlamp. I love the USB rechargeable battery pack, and you can switch it out for 3 AAA batteries in a pinch. I use it daily in the evening for chores, it has "moonlight", brighter, and holy cow that really lights up the place settings, plus a red and red flashing if you need that. I can usually get a good two months on one charge. When the battery gets low and you have it on high power, it flashes and switches down a setting to let you continue use.

https://smile.amazon.com/PETZL-Head...qid=1570671344&sprefix=petzl+a,aps,239&sr=8-5

35. kcardwel

kcardwel Hardwoodsman Hobbyist Supporter Hardwoodsman Bushclass III

Blog Posts:
    for a camplight the new lucy light that recharges things is really cool. I charged my phone out camping this weekend from 70 percent to 100 in around an hour. It still collapses, has three brightnesses and is just plain cool.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019 at 10:41 PM
  36. Theangrywelder

Theangrywelder Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have recently, well in the last year or so, changed all of my lighting requirements and batteries to 18650 batteries. This includes my flashlights, headlamps, and any other emergency equipment. Doing this has allowed me to keep one size battery, plus you can buy 18650 batteries that are USB chargeable and this will allow you to carry extra charged batteries, while also recharging your used one from a solar USB pack. The batteries I use are the WOW TEC batteries and I have not had any issues with them.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=wow+tec&ref=nb_sb_noss_2