Let’s talk .22lr handguns

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Donald Devall, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Donald Devall

Donald Devall Scout

Blog Posts:
    I somehow have found myself owning not a single .22 handgun! I know. Shame shame.

Anyhoo. Need some inspiration on what to fill that spot with. I have experience with all the favorites. Buckmark, Ruger Mk serries, single six, Bearcat, and a couple other things here and there.

The Bearcat (shopkeeper to be exact) was by far my favorite. Not super practical but gorgeous and fun.

So what are y’alls favorites? Share em! Pics, stories, uses and reasoning for favorites are strongly encouraged!

pab1, Timex, alukban and 6 others like this.
  2. DirtmanDave

DirtmanDave Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I like Ruger Single Six 22LR/22Mag, or Ruger 22/45.

pab1, Fat Old Man, Top Gibson and 8 others like this.
  3. NJStricker

NJStricker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I really like my Ruger Standard as well as the 22/45. Other days it’s the Single Six. Then once in a while I have to mix it up with a K17. My favorite depends on the day.

pab1, jstert, Winterhorse and 6 others like this.
  4. plumberoy

plumberoy Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have 3 .22 handguns right now .
    Cricket single shot bolt action with 2x scope . This is my hunting pistol
    Ruger SR22 this is my general purpose/woods bumming gun
    North American Arms 22 lr last ditch deep cover ccw also works as a snake gun loaded with shot

pab1, fatcat55, jstert and 1 other person like this.
  5. ezra45

ezra45 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Ruger 22/45 light, S&W 17, 18 or 63...no lock, of course...;)

ezra

pab1, fatcat55, xRangerx and 2 others like this.
  6. Paulyseggs

Paulyseggs Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My glock 19 with a advantage arms 22kit gets the most woods time .

7. Muleman77

Muleman77 Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    I have a single six and a Buckmark.
    Love em both, the Buckmark might be more accurate. The SS also has a mag cylinder though. Hard to say!

pab1, Fat Old Man, jstert and 5 others like this.
  8. OutnBacker

OutnBacker Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've shot the rest, and settled on the best. Anyone who owns one of these beauties will agree, they shoot like rifles.

1982 S&W Model 17, 8-3/8 barrel, target everything. Bought new and will always be my favorite and by far, most accurate all-stock, non-custom handgun I have ever owned. Single action trigger is but a thought.

IMG_0270.JPG

pab1, Fat Old Man, rkcolt45 and 10 others like this.
  9. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Walther P22.

pab1, fatcat55, jayclimber and 2 others like this.
  10. Wasp

Wasp We are GO for Sting!

Blog Posts:
    I like semis for target shooting and when it needs to be really quiet. But my favorites are revolvers, I just love them.

pab1, Bronco68, fatcat55 and 2 others like this.
  11. oldpinecricker

oldpinecricker Guide

Blog Posts:
    image.jpeg These two. A Colt Peacemaker 22 and an old vintage Ruger Single Six. Both have 22mag cyclinders.

The Colt is an amazing little piece, and really slick. The only other little single action that interests me is the Ruger Bearcat due to its small size yet it's big enough I can grab it.

Nothing better than my classic Colt teamed up with an classic antique Marlin or Winchester levergun in my woods.

pab1, Fat Old Man, aaronu and 5 others like this.
  12. Birdman

Birdman Guide

Blog Posts:
    1. Single six/ten.
    2. High Standard
    3. Mark IV

pab1, Fat Old Man, fatcat55 and 3 others like this.
  13. Capin JRo

Capin JRo Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have settled on the browning bookmark. It is extremely acute and well built, I love it.

pab1, Lee C., fatcat55 and 1 other person like this.
  14. slysir

slysir Guide

Blog Posts:
    The Single-Six convertible because it'll shoot every .22 rimfire there is...then the MK IV Standard for woods walking and plinking.

[​IMG]

-John

15. wvridgerunner

wvridgerunner Scout

Blog Posts:
    For me hands down the Ruger 22/45 bull barrel. And for me to decide on a favorite fire arm in any other class would be impossible. But 22 lr pistol is easy. I have fired it more than any other fire arm I own. Possibly all others combined. It has never failed me. I have more confidence in it for any situation. Accuracy is above most people ability to shoot. I am by no means a great pistol shooter. But two areas I did achieve great results with this pistol and amazing to people I would show off to was, 1) Shooting walnuts off of fence posts at random distances. I got to the point with a lot of practice i could shoot a walnut off off every fence post bordering our large yard and rarely miss. 2) With a lot of practice I could shoot standard size water balloons at 200 yd with easy. Now for the embarrassing part this pistol has never been taken apart and cleaned inside. I believe this the only fire arm I own I have never taken apart and cleaned. I heard it is really tricky ( there is a mod for that and I plan on buying one ) so far that has not been a issue. I do not believe this is the best 22 lr pistol ever made. Pick one of the top known performers and shoot it until it feels like part of your arm and it will be your got to bush,carry,personal protection, fire arm you ever need. The old saying be afraid of the man with on gun. I may just ask my wife to let this one be buried with me. I just thought of that but I should be allowed to. Maybe I will identify a well used bushcraft kit to throw in the box with me. I don’t need a new kit just because I’m going to heaven. I do hope the ammo is free though.

pab1, jstert, fatcat55 and 5 others like this.
  16. Donald Devall

Donald Devall Scout

Blog Posts:
    @wvridgerunner, thanks man. Very well worded post. I tend to not own a ton of firearms, but own the right ones and shoot the living snot out of them. I do believe that a man well practiced with a select few weapons is more useful than a man with a full arsenal who never shoots. :D

pab1, jstert, Torrin and 6 others like this.
  17. Swampdog

Swampdog Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm a wheel gun guy so I have a S&W 63 and a NAA mini-revolver, both in .22LR; I like the fact that I can shoot subsonic and #12 shot shell ammo for pest control with no problem.

If I were to add another .22LR handgun, I would get a Ruger 22/45 bull barrel like @wvridgerunner mentioned above, and maybe add a red dot sight.

18. Gman1051

Gman1051 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Mine are a Ruger MK II Standard and Ruger Single Ten.

pab1, Fat Old Man, Taliesin and 2 others like this.
  19. Roamer

Roamer Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Mine's a '60s vintage High Standard Sentinel. Had a couple semi-autos before (Ruger, Smith) but wanted something simpler. Also didn't like how a the semi-autos made it impossible to avoid littering empty brass in the woods. Bonus: the Sentinel is one of the most accurate .22 revolvers ever made -- 9 shot capacity, too!

[​IMG]

pab1, aaronu, wvridgerunner and 8 others like this.
  20. Mannlicher

Mannlicher Guide

Blog Posts:
    I am down to a single .22 handgun. I kept the old S&W Model 63. It's the perfect trail companion, and as shown here, "minute of squirrel" accurate. :)
    [​IMG]

21. americanstrat98

americanstrat98 Wanderer Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Ruger MK1 or II w/ Heavy Tapered barrel
    High Standard Supermatic S-101
    S&W 17
    Ruger Single Six with both cylinders. (This one has killed enough rabbit to feed all of you for a couple of nights.)

22. OutnBacker

OutnBacker Guide

Blog Posts:
    I may be wrong, but I think it was Thomas Jefferson who said, "Beware the man who has only one gun, for he shall know if its use."

I will add that the stainless Ruger MkII was the only .22 handgun I've ever owned that could come close to my M-17, pictured above. It had the 5" bull barrel and better sights and a trigger job. I've owned the Woodsman and it is as good as the Ruger, but not as good as the 17. Equally well made, though.

23. trad_bowhunter1965

trad_bowhunter1965 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have a Colt 22lr/22mag I don't shoot it much but I would say the Ruger would be just as good.

pab1, wvridgerunner and fatcat55 like this.
  24. chickasaw_hunter

chickasaw_hunter Scout

Blog Posts:
    I don't think you can beat either a S&W K or J frame in a .22 lr. They are expensive compared to a lot of other excellent .22 pistols, but there is something about them and they can last more than a lifetime. Imagine, if you can, some great pics of some S&W .22 pistols in assorted barrel lengths inserted here, but alas Photobucket is holding them ransom and all you'd see is that tired old pic of a kitty instead. I digress. Thems my thoughts.

25. that_guy

that_guy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Had a Beretta 21a that was neat but it just did NOT run well. Sold it and bought a Single Six.

pab1, Fat Old Man, jstert and 2 others like this.
  26. perrymk

perrymk Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    6BE93AD9-651B-491A-9F5C-5A324DE80A19.jpeg
    I like something niche. The folding NAA made this unique for me.

pab1, aaronu, wvridgerunner and 3 others like this.
  27. Donald Devall

Donald Devall Scout

Blog Posts:
    That’s part of the reason I posted this, I love several of the SW guns, but I refuse to buy from them again due to recent experiences with a 686. :26:

28. SierraSix

SierraSix Tracker

Blog Posts:
    For anything rimfire, I usually start with Ruger. Single Six and Mark I-IV, 10/22, etc. Hard to go wrong with any of those.

pab1, Fat Old Man, jstert and 3 others like this.
  29. roadwarrior

roadwarrior Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I love the 22lr hand guns, Ruger single six with extra mag cylinder, Smith 422, Browning 1911, Ruger hunter M4.

30. mjh

mjh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Well I've lusted after some Colt Diamondbacks I've seen locally but way out of my price range....always wanted a Smith 63....a friend was helping out a friend with ALS sell off his collection....wouldn't you know a 63 slipped away......had a Ruger MKIII but when the SP 101 came out with an 8 shot I just had to have it, but had to sell the MK III to get it....then I inherited a H&R .22 fine revolver but haven't shot it all that much.....was thinking about MKIV should be more accurate than the 101.....so many options.......those NAA's look kinda of interesting too......but I'd like something for squirrels, rabbits and what not...

31. Squirrelhunter

Squirrelhunter Scout

Blog Posts:
    Hey, don't feel bad - I still have a bunch of .22 ammo, but no .22 firearms period at present :( :D

I've shot a few rimfire handguns over the years, and the nicest is easily my father's former Beretta Model 76W; it looks about like this one:
    [​IMG]

He ordered it with the stock plastic grips, but ended up with the larger, target-style wood ones which were too bulky for his smaller hands. The gun never got shot much, and he ended up selling it to a good buddy of mine, who fitted a red dot to it. That old Beretta would make a dandy S&W Model 41 fighter; accurate, well made, with a great trigger. Before the gun changed hands, I bagged one squirrel with Remington Golden Bullets, and missed another on a seperate occasion :rolleyes: :D Oddly, the Beretta loves bulk ammo, and will pick apart clay pigeons out to 50 yards, maybe further, with the stuff all day long :rolleyes: :D :dblthumb:

Not far behind the old Italian is the unassuming 6" Mark II Standard my buddy inherited from his wife's father. It is ridiculously accurate for what it is, not very ammo fussy, and has a pretty good trigger too. Performance-wise, it isn't that far behind the excellent Beretta...:dblthumb:

I've always liked the Single Sixes, and I love the feel of the little Bearcat (never shot that one though). They are nice guns, but not inexpensive; I must admit, a basic, fixed sight Heritage Rough Rider shot just as well or better for me than the much fancier Single Six, and having missed the chance to buy that particular Ruger affordably, I wouldn't be likely to spend the coin new (or even some used) examples command nowadays...

I would love to be able to own an affordable, intergrally suppressed, semi-auto .22 pistol - something like a Ruger, Buckmark, Victory, etc. with iron sights & a barrel reasonable enough in length to be readily holster-able. Do that, and do away with the NFA nonsense, and I'd be fat, dumb and happy :D I'd shoot something like that much more than I normally do .22 handguns, and I wouldn't have much need to carry a .22 rifle as a primary in the woods either most of the time :dblthumb:

Kind Regards,

~ SH ~

pab1, Paul Foreman, Lg&m and 2 others like this.
  32. jayclimber

jayclimber Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have a Chiappa (Citadel) 1911-22 that has become a favorite carry .22 of mine for out in the field and as a camp gun!

image_2028.jpg

I'm a big fan of the 1911 platform as it is and this fits all my holsters and just feels and shoots right in my hands. It has also been a good varmint getter out on the farm!

pab1, Paul Foreman, fatcat55 and 2 others like this.
  33. Donald Devall

Donald Devall Scout

Blog Posts:

Ahhh what a dream! To be able to own a 7 inch 300 blk with the can tucked under the standard length hand guard for HD, a TC contender in all the calibers with short tubes and cans, an ntegrally suppressed MkIV... if only. I hear we were once Free around here. Hard to tell these days. :oops:

pab1, Lee C., Paul Foreman and 2 others like this.
  34. Robert Highhawk

Robert Highhawk Scout

Blog Posts:
    Those Ruger Bearcats are handy.

pab1, jstert, wvridgerunner and 2 others like this.
  35. Donald Devall

Donald Devall Scout

Blog Posts:
    I absolutely love the feel of them. I’m really eyeballing this particular flavor.
    0A3D08E5-69CE-4630-81B4-5CC52940B389.png
    Or possibly a regular one fitted with adjustable sights by a smith. Adjustable sights are a must for me on handguns unless it’s some microscopic little pocket piece.

pab1, doulos, jstert and 4 others like this.
  36. Donald Devall

Donald Devall Scout

Blog Posts:
    The sights could be sleeker though. I know some smiths will fit the regular models with adjustable sights. Those may look a bit better.

37. Squirrelhunter

Squirrelhunter Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've not seen that version in person yet, but am glad they offer it. I too like good adjustable sights, but don't feel they are necessarily manditory. That little Heritage had fine, little fixed sights & shot quite well - and pretty much 'on' - for me. Granted, my eyes were a decade & change younger then, but I can still resolve the basic sights on Ruger Standard's well enough - these too seem to shoot quite well, and 'on' from what I've experienced :dblthumb:
    I honestly think I might prefer the diminutive Bearcat in its original, base configuration; it will be less likely to get caught on things, and perhaps prove harder to knock 'out of regulation' so to speak.

Fixed or adjustable, I like 'em all, and it's good to have more options on guns for sure.

Kind Regards,

~ SH ~

38. Plainsman

Plainsman Scout

Blog Posts:
    Ruger .22/45 bull barrel.
    90745B40-0B5A-4EEA-9BDA-A5D4615632B9.jpeg

pab1, jstert, ak15-t and 6 others like this.
  39. JC1

JC1 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm saving for the ruger MKIV and always on the lookout for any ruger 3 screw

40. fatcat55

fatcat55 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Love seeing all these 22s.
    I wish I still had my S&W 63, Walther PP, Iver Johnson TP 22 and Beretta 951:(

Fortunately I do still have my Super Single Six that my mother had to put in her name over 40 years ago:D...
    AND my Mark II standard model that is over 20 years old...and an H&R 929 that belonged to my dad and which I have to my son but keep at home until he finished college...

Nothing like spending an afternoon shooting a brick of 22s with your best friend and witnessing each other's incredible shots...those were the days!:D

Thanks to all for sharing.

41. hughewil

hughewil Guide

Blog Posts:
    I like my Sig P22

42. Robert Highhawk

Robert Highhawk Scout

Blog Posts:
    My Bearcat is an old 1965 fixed sights. image.jpeg

43. Lg&m

Lg&m Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have a single six and a 22/45.
    Like both but the 22/45 get the most use.
    No matter what I am shooting it will likely come along.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    pab1, Fat Old Man, jstert and 3 others like this.
  44. YacoltWose

YacoltWose Scout

Blog Posts:
    Southwest Washington (formerly known as ORWose)
    The biggest problem about this decision is that there are so many good choices.

One observation I would make is that your ammunition choices are much more varied with a revolver. I have a Ruger Mk2 that I dearly love, but it won't cycle things like CCI subsonic ammo, .22 Shorts and things like that. It needs standard velocity ammo at a minimum to cycle reliably, although I did just find out there's an after market recoil spring kit that would help with that. The problem with THAT is to switch back to standard velocity, I'd have to strip it the gun and change the spring.

With a revolver you can just stick whatever you want in the cylinder and start pulling the trigger.

45. azmike9

azmike9 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    What about a Ruger GP 100 with 4.2" barrel ? I am thinking about one. Great practice revolver for my GP 100 Match Champion.

pab1, Lee C., wvridgerunner and 2 others like this.
  46. Donald Devall

Donald Devall Scout

Blog Posts:
    I’m actually considering trading that 686 toward a Match Champion. Might get the .22 to go along with it. Not a bad idea.

47. Macrosill

Macrosill Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Norinco Olympia tt - wish I could find some mags for it
    GSG 1911 - bought it for a great price during a local gun forum group buy for my wife.
    Chiappa 1911 - won in an online contest on a local gun forum

Don't use any of them much.

48. fishiker

fishiker Scout

Blog Posts:
    I would be concerned my wife would realize how many 22 handguns I have if I got them out the my gun safe all at the same time. I love my Ruger 22s: I've had the Single Six for many years and it has been my companion for many miles. The 22/45 Lite is what I now carry most often.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yoop177, pab1, Bronco68 and 12 others like this.
  49. Donald Devall

Donald Devall Scout

Blog Posts:
    That 22/45 lite seems to have a lot of fans. I never took them seriously but may have to look into them now.

pab1, jstert, Plainsman and 3 others like this.
  50. Prairiewolf

Prairiewolf Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I think that I'm all set for the rest of my shooting days with my Browning Mini Buckmark and my (new) Ruger SP101 4.2". I've been through quite a few .22 handguns, but these are my favorites.