Let’s talk MSR

Discussion in 'Cooking & Water Purification' started by JosephDurham, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Red Yeti

Red Yeti Coastal Wanderer Hobbyist Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Good discussion, Not much different to add here other than a hearty endorsement for the MSR whisperlite.

I like the heat diffuser idea.

I've used this as my main stove for over 30 years in all conditions Alpine mountaineerng, summer car camping, lots of seakayaks tours and power outages at home. Super reliable, solid, easily maintained in the field, very tough travelers and good flame adjustability for simmer and high heat. The weakest part of the system is the pump, but it is pretty good. Have had to replace a few over the years when plastic bits break. I usually carry an extra pump. If it is more than an overnight trip.

I've never been a fan of disposable canister stoves, so I can't speak to those.

2. Carbonmated

Carbonmated Guide

Blog Posts:
  3. Lisa West

Lisa West Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    We have a pocket rocket that we carry everywhere. cant say enough good things about that little stove. In fact bought a few years ago when a amazon sale on them was posted in gear deals on this forum. got it for like $20 shipped. Wish we had bought two.

carpenter likes this.