Let the coarse sharpening begin... Norton coarse Crystolon

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by A Seedy Lot, Sep 10, 2019.

1. A Seedy Lot

A Seedy Lot Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Received a Norton Crystolon coarse silicone carbide stone today in the mail. This stone is rated at 120 grit. Of course I had to try the stone so out came my M4 edc knife and I sharpened it back to a zero grind. This knife is not the easiest to sharpen as M4 has plenty of vanadium and this knife has a hardness of 62rc with a wider bevel as the grind angles are 8d/s, so lots of hard material to remove. I am happy with the stone as it seemed to work fairly fast and left a consistent scratch pattern that will be easy to refine. I think I am going to get a fine Crystolon stone to see how well it will refine the bevel scratch pattern.

The Crystolon stone is probably a little slower than diamonds as the scratch pattern is more consistent and not as deep as a worn in black, 220, DMT stone. It will take some time to get a better feeling but as of now i am happy with the purchase.

20190910_141659.jpg 20190910_141915.jpg

2. A Seedy Lot

Blog Posts:
    Took the knife to a red, 600, DMT stone and removed the scratch pattern that the Crystolon left in 20 strokes per side. I will have to dull a knife and do some timed comparisons but right now I feel that the Crystolon is a viable sharpening tool for vanadium steels and a great buy at ~20 dollars.

3. batmanacw

batmanacw Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Good to know.

highlander and A Seedy Lot like this.
  4. Jacob

Jacob Guide

Blog Posts:
    Sweet, looks like it’ll last awhile too!

highlander and A Seedy Lot like this.
  5. A Seedy Lot

Blog Posts:
    I shaped clearence bevels on a couple M2 blades with the coarse Cryslolon stone. Slower than diamonds but I like the feel of how it scratches and it did leave an edge that sliced paper and cut arm hair... I have an American Mutt stone to follow, will see how it performs.

20190913_182755.jpg

@Ptpalpha

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019 at 11:15 PM