Lets see your minimal bushcraftin footwear!

Discussion in 'Clothing' started by Kerri, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Kerri

Kerri úlfheðnar Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I love my minimal shoes from my minimal combat boots and merrell batefoot shoes and 5 fingers to moccasins. so who else rocks the minimal style shoes? Heres some of mine.

Merrell minimal shoes
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My merrells and my wifes 5 fingers
    [​IMG]

Belleville minimil combat boots
    [​IMG]

Moccasins
    [​IMG]

Yalls turn!

ArmyMacE likes this.
  2. alukban

alukban Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've been wearing the Nike SFB's since '09 apparently :D

These boots have the same sole as the Nike Free running shoe line so they are ridiculously light. I'm at the end of life of my second pair. I wear through winter too.

[​IMG]

ArmyMacE likes this.
  3. Kerri

Blog Posts:
    Nice, alot of guys I know wear those and they love em.

4. ZeroDarkThirty

ZeroDarkThirty Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    This may sound odd, but lately Ive been hiking around in vented Crocs and wool socks. For about a year or so now actually. I didnt even consider them for a long time because I thought they were only for "hipsters". Then I remembered that not doing something because it's trendy is just as lame as doing something just because it's trendy- so I picked up a couple pairs and have been rockin' the crap outta them ever since. Ive got wide feet and these are the most comfy shoes Ive tried yet, for hiking and otherwise, and as long as I have wool socks (plus extras). No pics though.

Although Ive been really wanting to try those Belvilles since you posted about them- you said they breath pretty well right? Or were you talkin about the merrells?

5. Kerri

Blog Posts:
    Both the merrells and bellevilles breath well, the bellevilles are completley unlined and the coolest boot ive ever worn and the fastest drying. Ive got a pair of crocs i call them my combat crocs. I ordered em after seeing a bunch of guys rockin them on our off time on deployments, super comfortable shoes

6. Lerch

Lerch Bushmaster Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Cool. I have a pair of Merril Moabs that are my everyday shoes and they do great when I get a chance to make a spur of the moment, unplanned bush outing. They suck on wet rock though. Slippery. I guess with a name like Moab they were really intended for dryer terrain. I really dig the Belleville minimil combats and those Nike's Alukban posted.

I always wanted to try a pair of leather soled Moccasins but fear how they would hold up. Are those craft made you have pictured or commercial? Anything special about the soles? Just keep them oiled? Sorry for all the questions, LOL.

7. Kerri

Blog Posts:
    The ones in my picture are dyer moccasins i picked up second hand and i dont do anything to them except occassionally put mink oil on them. Ive got some soft leather moccasins that i dont do anything to and theyre a few years old now and doing well

8. MohaveGreen

MohaveGreen Guide

Blog Posts:
    If you can look past the giant turkey leg, you'll see my VFFs (only pic I have). I absolutely love these things. Equally at home tracking down poultry at an inner-city Jazz festival, trekking through the backwoods, and everywhere in between.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

And thanks for the thread, Kerri. I've been looking for something to get for winter. Hoping I'll get some ideas here.

9. xRangerx

xRangerx Woods wandering bird nerd Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I don't know if these count or not, but I just ordered a pair of Merrell Skylarks. So I will put them through some paces in the next couple weeks. I wish I could've tried them on first, but not to often do they have 14's in store haha

10. TheWanderer

TheWanderer Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    new balance trail runners

11. rancher

rancher Scout

Blog Posts:
    Black VFF, Black Nike Free 5.0 and La Sportiva Crosslites for me. Barely get to wear them anymore but they're still kicking around in a bag somewhere around here. Minimal shoes and horses/horse manure don't mix too well.

12. DCP

DCP Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Good thread Kerri, I have been wearing New Balance Minimus shoes around most of the summer around the city etc.., took them out on my first weekend trip a couple weeks ago. The first day my feet were sore but after the second day they felt great.

13. shandygaff550

shandygaff550 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    @ZDT- Crocs and wool socks are the bomb! Glad to see someone else does this, my family still makes strange faces.....

Merrell Moabs when its wet, and it is a lot around here lately...the old hiking boots don't get around much anymore.

Great thread, always looking for ideas...

Shandy

14. silhouette

silhouette Scout

Blog Posts:
    Chacos count? If so I'm in.

15. Keyser Söze

Keyser Söze Usual Suspecto Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Chris wears Ankle Thongs ...you cant get any minimal than that

[​IMG]

ArmyMacE likes this.
  16. FrontRangeGuy

FrontRangeGuy Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Ha ha. I was skimming the comment and my brain read "Chris wears Thongs..." Then I was like NOOOOOO! TMI!!!

LOL.

17. BigDaddyHoss

BigDaddyHoss Tracker Pack #34 Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    It's a slow night when I am reading about a guys skimpy footwear. My minimal footwear is White's Smokejumpers:17:. I am gonna go build a fire now. Happy day

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
    ArmyMacE likes this.
  18. FrontRangeGuy

FrontRangeGuy Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I'll play. I sometimes wear the Merrell minimalist.
    photo.JPG

ArmyMacE likes this.
  19. Exy

Exy Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    New balance and crocs without socks for me most of the time.

Not very rocky terrain down here.. I got the Chippewa for backup and trips over 2 days.

Only bad thing for me about the light footwear, is when you put on a real boot afterwards. Makes them feel like bricks. I've never had ankle issues, so no high tops for me. Although I can definitely see the merit when your riding a heavy pack.

20. NJWHN95

NJWHN95 Scout

Blog Posts:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huarache_(shoe)
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Minimalist-Running-Sandals-Huaraches/

I like Huaraches. Their basically a sandal with a strap in the back so they stay on. There are a few different styles, but the one that I prefer just have a thin cord (like the one in the instructable. I believe their of Mexican origin, and now are used as a minimalist running shoe (I think there is actually a company that sells them, but their really easy to make). I made a pair from some old leather sandals, I just cut off the padding on the bottom and used the thin leather, and then added some leather show laces. When I wear them they usually end up going a little a askew and part of my foot will hand off, but it's enough to protect my feet. I can't say I have worn them to the woods, but I imagine they would work alright.

ArmyMacE likes this.
  21. The Stumpy One

The Stumpy One Guide

Blog Posts:
    My absolute favs. are Courtney Boot Company Selouses. I have a pair in cape buffalo, and another in hippo. The cape buffalo ones are as soft as slippers, the hippo are a little stiffer. Both pairs will see me out. I have no idea what they make the soles out of, but they just refuse to wear down.

I have my eye on a pair of Carl Dyer moccasins though, they look awfully comfy to wear around camp.

gildepthys likes this.
  22. akakesler

akakesler Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have some Merrel Moabs, love em' Bout ready for a new pair though. Also have 2 pair of Dyer Mocs. Best woodsrunning Moc there is for traditional style footwear and rugged as all get out! 1 pair I have had since new and they have seen alot of miles on alot of different terrain all the way from Indiana flatlands to Colorado Rockies in 20yrs. and still going strong!! Got a pair of the skele-toes 2 yrs ago and man are they comfortable around the house and camping fishin etc..

23. ZeroDarkThirty

Blog Posts:
    Well now I don't feel so bad about my Crocs :p

The wool must add traction or something, cuz these things feel like they're glued to my feet even on wet, steep, thick, rocky terrain- with the heel strap. I do walk a little more carefully though which i suppose is a good thing

24. Exy

Exy Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I will admit,

I do find the Crocs a bit slippery on any wet surface. Busted my ass more than once..

25. ZeroDarkThirty

Blog Posts:
    Yep- I've done the same for sure. Wet rocks have been the worst- but I guess overall they've done better than I thought they would. I just tried hiking in them on a whim too. I do get to see more of the scenery though from walking a little slower ;) I need some good breathable boots bad- my feet sweat so much it ain't even funny. All I have boot-wise nowadays is a pair of Mucks and some Sorels (which I haven't tried yet). The Belvilles are now on my list :14:

26. exomatt

exomatt Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I absolutely love my New Balance Minimus trail runners. They've been fantastic, but I'm pretty sure these only have a month or two left in them, and I have only been wearing them for three.

27. Flesh_Mechanic

Flesh_Mechanic Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Cant do the light weight footware stuff.. dunno why.. just never comfortable in it.. i usually wear cocoran tanker boots.. have gotten 5 years hard use out of them at this point.. at work..at the club, on tour, and in woods.. and surprisingly havent needed a repair job yet.

28. rusty stove

rusty stove Guide

Blog Posts:
    Carl Dyer mocs- picked up mine 2nd hand also- very comfortable.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

29. TomJ

TomJ Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Not so minimal but they are my main hiking boots. Been through many miles, creeks, heavy packs, day packs, etc. They are very comfortable and are wearing like iron so far.

[​IMG]

Bates RAT boots

30. nj2656

nj2656 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have a pair of Vibrams that I really. I have to ask though are any of the minimalist shoes made for wide feet. My running shoes are a 4E. My VFF are a tight fit across the top of my foot and second toe. Wondering how the Merrells fit?

31. mainewoods

mainewoods Maine Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    My 5 year Old L.L Bean Leather Hikers!

[​IMG]

32. battle.munky

battle.munky Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've never tried the minimalist approach, makes me feel vulnerable just thinking ab out it which makes me think I need to try it. Sounds like a lot of folks do, so it is possible. Have always wore some type of boot in the woods. Maybe the Bellevilles will be my next boots.

33. Kerri

Blog Posts:
    Merrells do have wides, i normally wear a 10 1/2 wide in regular shoes but wear a 10 regular in merrellsso id go try them on before buying if you can

34. Kerri

Blog Posts:
    If youve never tried minimal style shoes the bellevilles arent a transition shoe meaning if you get them just like with 5 fingers or any other barefoot shoe youve got to break your feet into them slowly. Like only a few hours a day at first till your body gets used to walking and standing in a more natural way that traditional shoes have changed on you, if you do it right I garuntee you will love minimal shoes

35. mainewoods

mainewoods Maine Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I have a Narrow wide and a 11.5 Bean's has the narrow sizes I need. stick to my leather!!!

36. Paul Foreman

Paul Foreman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sellers, Alabama, in South Montgomery County
    Good thread. I wear keen sandals daily. Where we hunt is eaten up with briers brambles slash piles and rocks. Cannot do the keens in that. My feet would get thorns in em real quick. Those bellvilles and Nike sdbs look like they may be just the stuff ...

37. churro

churro Scout

Blog Posts:
    When I was a toddler my mom couldn't get me to wear anything but moccasins. When I got a little older I started making my own moccasins and used them almost exclusively (except around horses and cattle). In high school I started running track and cross country, and at the coaches urging always wore the best, most cushioned, flat soled running shoes I could afford. That's when I started having knee problems, resulting in knee surgery at the tender age of 16. The doctor told me I'd probably have ongoing knee problems for the rest of my life. I sort of lost interest in running competitively, and after high school I lived in the city for several years with no car- lots of walking on pavement. I got good shoes and hiking boots, thinking that would help. My knees got worse until I was nearly crippled at times, and I started to have severe back pain, too.

It got a little better when I moved to the middle of nowhere, but it wasn't until I went back to moccasins and started using homemade arnica salve that my knees got better. I noticed that I walk differently in light, thin-soled shoes. Now I pretty much live in crocs with wool socks and only wear boots in snow or when working with a chainsaw. Lately I've been playing around with homemade felt shoes and they are superior to either moccasins or crocs for me, though I need to work out some way to waterproof the soles. I'm definitely sold on the minimalist shoe thing. I recently read "Born to Run" and finally understood why the seemingly counterintuitive minimalist thing works. Totally pain-free, now. Great thread, I might have to do some shopping!

38. Knighthorse

Knighthorse Guide

Blog Posts:
    I can highly recommend the "Tred-safe" brand "pepper". Look up online. Similar material and look like crocs, not vented, and with a nonslip textured rubber sole. Small vent at the heel on either side. (no separate heel strap like crocs) Thick socks or double up thinner ones. As long as its not muddy. Wet/muddy brings out the steel toed rubber knee boots.
    If your feet sweat a lot they might not be the ideal choice. If you buy them before you discover your feet sweat a lot, use a round leather punch to make holes for venting.
    I have two pair of crocs. I wanted something with a rubber sole, and no venting in the instep or around the toes. Unless walking on totally flat ground or being very careful, I always get "things" through the holes in crocs.
    The Tred-safes are also my usual go-to canoe shoe. Non-porus so when they get wet, so what, sling around a few seconds, dry. No issue.

39. Kerri

Blog Posts:
    I was having cronic knee pain that i thought was normal and the way things were. I did PT in minimal shoes and wore them and moccasins regularly but on deployments and training I wore boots, the boots combined with kit and a pack was killing my knees. Since making the switch to nothing but minimal shoes my knees are pain free

40. Keyser Söze

Keyser Söze Usual Suspecto Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    if you walk a lot with weight....

BINGO
    as a 14+ years hardwood flooring installer and finish processor-where i got to push a big 185# belt sander around on hard floors for miles/day back and forward...boots and hard thick soles on footwear are a no-no ! you need soft good quality rubber soles and the upper part of the shoe has too have minimal stitching,parts and shoelace hardware -good insoles ,it has to be a good balance between materials good ventilation,,- over the years i found that Merell has some very good feet friendly and long lasting designs , then New Balance and Speedo ,, hard soles will kill your feet -knees-behind the knees-knee joints-and from that you'll get back pain-neck pain

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

41. rancher

rancher Scout

Blog Posts:
  42. Kerri

Blog Posts:
    Thats awesome Ive got some asolos that have seemn alot of use

43. RavenLoon

RavenLoon axology student Supporter

Blog Posts:
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

44. MakeDo

MakeDo Scout

Blog Posts:
    Question for the Crocs and wool guys; are you talking about the canvas or traditional Crocs? I'm actually looking for something now, so as usual, BCUSA has the thread I need to read when I need it!

45. Kerri

Blog Posts:
    Took my belleville minimals on an 8 mile or so hike today
    [​IMG]

ArmyMacE likes this.
  46. ZeroDarkThirty

Blog Posts:

These bad boys right here-

Crocs.jpg

The canvas topped ones looked way flimsy and uncomfortable to me.

I actually use wool blend socks, and carry a spare pair- which I save only for emergencies, or if Im going to bed down for the night. The holes in the shoe help with ventilation but obviously let water in too. When I went up to my Dad's place everything was wet and it was really cold rain- only minor discomfort though, my feet were still warm enough.

One of the best parts about these is they dry super quick, all it takes is a little sun or even air drying and they are good to go. They will get super slippery from the inside if you arent wearing some kind of sock, atleast mine do.

47. Kerri

Blog Posts:
    Thats why I wore them alot overseas, i could wear them as shower shoes and then keep wearing them to hang out

48. winterlover

winterlover Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sorry no pics, but i love the Keen H2o sandals, very comfortable, great traction and they fit my wide feet. Love chacos, tevas, and Source brand sandals too, but they have no toe protection so not as versatile for hiking. Guess i'm a sandal lover, if it weren't for cold rain and snow i'd wear sandals all year round.

49. HoboTree

HoboTree Guide

Blog Posts:
    I got a pair of camouflage Airwalk crocs and I love em. Alot of people say they make you loook "gay" but I make em look rad dude. I broke the plastic part that holds one of the straps and fixed it with a spent .22 casing. Theyre super comfortable and ultralight. However I dont think I would ever hike in them. More for around the garden and such.

50. megabit

megabit Tracker

Blog Posts: