Lets see your minimal bushcraftin footwear!

Discussion in 'Clothing' started by Kerri, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Wildcat

Wildcat Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    thanks yall. i will try these tops out.

2. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    You guys bring up very valid considerations such as climate, snakes, etc.. There's just no way I'd be wearing minimalist shoes in my home woods of Northern Ontario. The Mosquitos would look at my mesh shoes and have a fiesta!

3. Towander

Towander Tracker

Blog Posts:
    As of late I've been day dreaming about walking the PCT and have been following two guys thru hiking on YouTube. I've found that some things have changed......like footware. That's what brought me to this thread.

I may be a minimalist at heart from very early on not by choice but because the situation dictated it. Presently I'm barefoot and will be putting on a sandal to start my chores. The wood chips I use to conserve water will push straight through a croc or flip-flop and spear your foot. Before it gets too hot today I will run my dogs in a Merrel lite hiker(I have a lot of open space here near the house). We have plenty of nasties here that mostly you can avoid; snakes, yucca, cacti, goatheads. The chola and goatheads are an evil delivered straight from hell. The BlackPalm in Panama is also an evil straight from hell. At work I wear a breathable heavy sole Danner appropriate to my construction career.

I'm going to have to agree with the statements that wearing a boot changes your feet. Weaker? Okay, yes. Hiking and not wanting heavy weight attached to your foot. Yep, there's another I agree with. Citing military studies, some special warfare troops, and Roman soldiers and natives living poor barely above the Stone Agee to advocate the use of a minimalist footware is when you start to loose credibility.

I will be exploring a more minimalist shoe than what I have but I bump this thread for the folks missing the point of using common sense in using appropriate foot protection.

Don't mean to whip a dead horse and Im enjoying the read. Thanks for the info.

4. Dyl0n7

Dyl0n7 Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Those are just awesome.

5. JackintheGreen

JackintheGreen Tracker

Blog Posts:
    It seems to me that everyone on this thread is working on the assumption that there are no light weight, minimalist boots that treat your foot right, and protect you from scrapes. This is not the case. I've been wearing minimalist running shoes for years, and wear combat boots everyday for work. Lately, I've been wearing Altima Tactical Research minimalist boots with vibram soles, which are compliant with military regs and weigh in at about two pounds. I've pounded pavement in three countries and hiked extensively in these boots with zero problems. You can also check out Garmin, Nike, New Balance, and Rocky boots for something similar. They're all pricey but I can't think of better footwear for spending time in the bush.

6. Flathead Bush Crafter

Flathead Bush Crafter Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    I go bear foot as much as possible. The other day I stepped on a thistle and I didn't hurt at all, just uncomfortable. I thick it's more just getting used to a small amount of discomfort. You want to be able to feel with your feet when barefoot, it shouldn't be like having a shoe on 24/7. Just be careful as it starts to freeze. Don't want to loose a toe;).

7. Yoven

Yoven Tracker

Blog Posts:
    barefootcastle.jpg The best way to go.

Wildcat likes this.
  8. caoutdoorsman

caoutdoorsman Scout

Blog Posts:
    Same here, got mine at Ross for cheap. I love'em, they're like wearing tennis shoes with all the ankle support of a boot.

I usually wear those or some Asics tennis shoes when I'm in the woods.

alukban likes this.
  9. Watcher of the Woods

Watcher of the Woods Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Thread resurrection!

I've been wearing Merrell barefoot shoes for years. Got my first pair around 5 years ago. Used it for some hiking in the badlands on the Pine Ridge reservation and they worked great. That was when I figured out that this was a good idea. I've been wearing them exclusively for work (nurse) for the last 4 years. Just got a pair of Trail Glove 3's from @Usingmyrights and I love them.

Bought a pair of Xero Shoe sandals this year and they're my go to around town and woods in the summer. I like them for trails, BUT, I get so many small rocks in them that I end up really flustered.

My old Ahnu hiking boots are on their way out now and I think that I'm going to get some Lem Boulder Boots to replace them. Seems like a lot of people here really like them.

Two things I wonder about are: Winter/wet conditions.

Winter: Is there any good option out there for cold. Like REAL cold. 10 below sitting in a tree stand cold. I've got crappy circulation (I think it's that, could be something else), and my feet are always cold. I have a pair of Sorrells right now and they are even cold in those.

Wet: Does wet really matter? Your shoes will dry out... So will your skin. As long as you aren't constantly in those shoes and they are able to dry it shouldn't be an issue.

Usingmyrights likes this.
  10. Watcher of the Woods

Watcher of the Woods Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I have gone over to Altras for my hiking needs and have never been happier. Thicker sole then "real barefoot" shoes, but with that I actually get a tread that works. I've put around 60 miles on these Altra Superior 4 trail runners in the last month or so hiking and LOVE them. They are zero drop, have a wide toe box, and are very breathable. I've worn them in the snow, the sand, the dirt, and walking over boulders, it has handled all terrains without issue.

IMG_7350.jpg

Jean and ArmyMacE like this.
  11. colrbh

colrbh Scout

Blog Posts:
    Cherokee "Nikes" 3 outa four seasons. Flipped one over so you can see the wear.

Attached Files:

highlander, latvija and ArmyMacE like this.
  12. TrailbreakerOutdoors

TrailbreakerOutdoors Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I am a huge fan in Bedrock Sandals. They are absolutely amazing and I wear them pretty much every day at work in the summer. Definitely the best sandals you can get.

13. ArmyMacE

ArmyMacE Husband, Father, Skills Practitioner

Blog Posts:
    Home made sandals...

3158C30E-4EBE-4265-819E-3E7519BD7B0F.jpeg

69618D97-CD14-4EC9-A765-356E245162B3.jpeg

Store bought Vivo Barefoot...

D426AAFA-1027-45DE-A33B-E933659577EE.jpeg

35CDF3C9-7573-466E-9DEE-A52EAD0F799D.jpeg

I’ve had a few others over the years. This is what’s leftover, still going.

Thanks,

Jarrod

Edgewalker and Paulyseggs like this.
  14. Oldyeller

Oldyeller Tracker

Blog Posts:
    These are North Face traction mules.I bought a fresh pair the past 3 winters, I love them.They pack nicely and they are really warm in a tent or hammock.

Attached Files:

15. WhisperInThePine

WhisperInThePine Wubba lubba dub dub Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I like Altra Lone Peak Mid 4s, I wear them regularly now. I was wearing Red Wing Blacksmiths but found them too heavy.

But my favorite woods shoes are a pair of custom handmade Navajo moccasins. Lightweight, silent, and they dry incredibly fast if wet. It's been a learning curve walking in moccasins, I tend to hit my heel a lot harder than I realized. I've been trying to walking softly day to day.

0915181548.jpg 0706181639_Film1.jpg

I might try making some tarahumara sandals though for fun. Tevas can still get pretty heavy.