Lets talk wool sweaters/question on sweater I just got

Discussion in 'Clothing' started by PAcanis, Jan 31, 2019.

1. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I bought a wool sweater.

I went internet shopping and thought I had decided on a Fjallraven, but the store that sold them could not answer my question, so I emailed Fjallraven USA and they never got back to me. Oh well. I ended up with an LL Bean at half the cost. My deciding factor was the sweater I thought I wanted was listed at 15oz and the LLB sweater I ended up getting was 21oz.
    That's all I had wanted to ask Fjallraven, I wanted a thick sweater and how did the one I thought I wanted compare to their others. Maybe they had what I wanted, but we'll never know.
    And just to say, I did not want to jump into the $3-400 range.

So my LLB sweater arrived yesterday. Perfect fit! Really nice looking sweater and 100% Merino wool with cotton wear patches on the arms and shoulders. But it sure does feel thin. It's not as thick as an older wool sweater I had years ago. Maybe that doesn't matter?
    I don't want to wear a lot of layers when I go out. I want to wear a T, a sweater and my coat as an outer garment.

I will be testing out the sweater today. I am hoping that being wool it will be warmer than a sweatshirt, which was warm enough a few days ago, but truth be told my sweatshirts are thicker than this sweater. Maybe it's a psychological thing. Maybe I'm thinking I need a thick under layer, when with today's weaves maybe I don't. But the way your mind works can affect how cold you feel, IMO.
    I could not imagine taking my coat off with this sweater in winter weather the way I used to years ago with my other sweater. For instance, to dress a deer or when I am exerting myself.

Are thick wool sweaters a thing of the past? Or is that when you make the jump into the higher priced range? Not every maker lists a fabric weight, nor gets back to your emails and phone calls, so it's hard to compare equally.

What say you wool wearers?

2. Samurainova

Samurainova Tracker

Blog Posts:
    In my experience, heavier wool doesn’t necessarily equate to more warmth as the quality of wool can vary between products. For example, my WeatherWool Shirtjac is just as warm as my Woolrich Wool jacket, which is significantly heavier. Bear in mind though the vast difference in quality between a $425 shirtjac and a $10 bargain from goodwill. The best heavyweight wool sweater I’ve ever used was a Dachstein, that I bought for about $80 and gave to a friend. They run about $200 nowadays, but once in a blue moon you can find one for a steal. Hope this helps.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Austrian-M...078835?hash=item468e1e91f3:g:6yQAAOSwtfhYpxwM

rockett88s, bacpacjac, Jeffa and 6 others like this.
  3. Portage_Monster

Portage_Monster Experiencing Wanderlust Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I think that buying wool sight unseen can be tough. Things like thickness and how tight the weave are can be very hard to convey. I've got a 1/4 zip woolrich sweater that is darn near see through but I've also got a woolrich shirt that's practically armor. My advice for anyone spending big bucks on good wool is to either buy in person or buy through someone who has a good return policy. Descriptions can be misleading and wool isn't cheap.

FWIW, I've got a friend who has a Fjallraven sweater, and it's awesome.

4. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the input, guys.

And yes, it's very tough to buy sight unseen. That's why I was looking for input from those who have been there, bought that and had to return it or sell it because it didn't work.

I'll be trying out that LLB shortly here. It's not as windy out as it was a few days ago, but it's about 15degrees colder. Should be a good test.

5. Spinymouse

Spinymouse Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have one of those Bean sweaters too. It's very similar to the Brit commando sweaters (I have one of those too) and the USMC wool sweater. I wear it frequently and really like it.

It performs best with a wind proof layer over it. So long as you block that wind, it's a very cozy and comfortable sweater.

6. PAcanis

Blog Posts:

Yes, very similar to a military commando sweater. Not quite as "fitted" I think.

7. Spinymouse

Spinymouse Scout

Blog Posts:
    I used to have one of the black wool (not the newer acrylic) US Army commando-inspired sweaters. it was the kind we could wear with our Class-B uniform. I never liked that one. It was two sizes bigger than I would normally wear and it still made me feel like a sausage in its casing, except for those areas where it was baggy. I think I wore it maybe twice before it ended up in the back of the drawer for the next twelve or more years. I ended up giving it away. I left it in the break room in the armory with a big "Free" sign on it. It was over a month before someone finally took it. The actual fabric on that Army sweater was an excellent beefy heavy knit of quality wool. Its problem was that it wasn't proportioned correctly. The fit was awful.

The LL Bean sweater's fabric isn't as nice as the Army sweater's was, but the Bean fits me perfectly and I really enjoy wearing it. I've even waxed the cotton canvas on its shoulders and elbows for some added protection from drizzle.

8. BradGad

BradGad Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I love this kind of thread. Group brain dump. By the end, friends will become enemies, enemies will become friends, shots will be fired... then the dust will settle and we will all go buy sweaters.

9. BradGad

Blog Posts:
    They don’t vent well.

bacpacjac, Tom Eickenberg and PAcanis like this.
  10. PAcanis

Blog Posts:

I held the Bean up to the window and it's quite porous. It was not the warm layer I was looking for, for under my anorak (which isn't that heavy to begin with). But you are right, it's so well made it's a fine sweater.
    I scrounged up a windbreaker and put that on over the sweater, under the anorak, and it made a huge difference.
    But I am still on the hunt for something thicker. Of course when this polar vortex or whatever leaves...

11. wisconsinwalter

wisconsinwalter Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My LL Bean is worn everyday for the last 3 winters. I washed it once in the front loader but have used snow ever since.

Most know I had 15 wool sweaters before I started thinning out. Like the OP I always wanted the best for the money.

This LL Bean is China but it is the most comfortable I own and almost as soft as my WeatherWool Anorak.

image.jpg

image.jpg

12. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    Yep, mine is made in China, too.
    I don't mind China for some things. You'd be surprised how hard it is to find a trapper hat not made in China. Even the one Stormy Kromer sells is made in China.

bacpacjac, wisconsinwalter and 45jack like this.
  13. 45jack

45jack Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, I have a couple LLBean and a couple I bought from a chap in the UK.
    I buy them a size or two large. Me and a commando taper in different directions now.

14. wisconsinwalter

Blog Posts:
    image.jpg
    Yep! Here’s a USA, Wisconsin made and Wisconsin fur trapper hat

bacpacjac, yooper71, PaPa K and 5 others like this.
  15. PAcanis

Blog Posts:

I've got myself a German made one now, 38 bucks I think it was. Really nice hat. It's in one of the anorak threads.
    But who made yours?

bacpacjac, Beach Hiker and Red Ochre like this.
  16. wisconsinwalter

Blog Posts:
    Wild Things in Sw WI. It was from my coon.

https://www.wildthingsfur.com/

17. JoeJ

JoeJ Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    There are a couple trappers in Alaska who trap wolves, Lynx, Wolverine and have access to Beaver and other water type fur bearers and they and their family make both trapper and trooper type hats.

I got a trapper made from Lynx several years ago and the price was fair, can’t remember the cost now but it wasn’t anywhere near what the mail order houses wanted and the construction/quality is excellent in my opinion. I initially wanted a Wolverine hat but he advised he didn’t have one and it had been a couple years since he trapped one, as their weren’t many in the area and for him to purchase a pelt from another and make a profit, the price would be rather high.

The only problem, if you would describe it as a problem, was he had intermittent internet service where he resided and only made it into town a couple times a month to check his mail. From start to finish I think it took something like 3 to 4 months. I don’t have his name or email address to provide to anyone on a PM but if one has the desire, I’m sure you could get a lead on someone from various Alaskan outdoor sites.

18. riokid87

riokid87 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have had an army wool sweater for a couple decades. It's a little thin and the weave isn't tight as it use to be. It warm under a shirt but as a jacket substitute wind goes right thru it. I'd also be a bit worried it would snag a rip on things. I have darned t small rips in it. If you wear it a few days it does air out rather quick as to removing bo under the arms.
    I have a green army wool shirt that is much thicker and much tighter weave. Has 2 big chest pockets. It makes a good outer layer jacket.

19. Jetjr

Jetjr Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've been running around to the thrift stores buying wool shirts and sweaters lately. I'm not real concerned with looks/patterns just keeping warm. I've found a bunch of thin wool ones that I wear for undershirts. Bought an LL Bean zip up the other day for 12 bucks and found an Orvis zip up for 7 today.

20. John from Alberta

John from Alberta Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    This is my exact problem right now. I remember as a kid my dad had these amazingly heavy wool sweaters that I always thought were so "dad sweatery". Of course now this is exactly what I want, but I can't find something that heavy for the life of me. I make 2 trips weekly to the thrift store and have managed to find some ok sweaters (just picked up an alpaca sweater that I love), but they're not the outdoorsy kind I'm really looking for.

I ordered a TW Kempton Combat Sweater and I think I got a dud, as it was not at all what I was expecting.

This is really what I want, but I'm also worried about ordering sight-unseen and not getting what I expect.

https://www.aransweatermarket.com/irish-fishermans-ribbed-sweater-with-patches

We have a Fjallraven store nearby which I've stopped into several times, but they stopped producing the sweater I'm actually interested in (Sarek knit).

Hoping to hit up some more thrift stores around town next week outside of my usual local Value Village to see if I have any better luck.

21. wisconsinwalter

Blog Posts:
    Hit up Sou’west Chunkies

bacpacjac and Red Ochre like this.
  22. PAcanis

Blog Posts:

Exactly! Maybe thick wool sweaters aren't either made, or as popular as they once were.

I was on that site. I didn't want to order sight unseen either. Something about it just put me off. Maybe that everyone looked like a model, lol.

bacpacjac, Beach Hiker and Red Ochre like this.
  23. Brook Trout

Brook Trout Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    A heavy wool sweater, from Dale of Norway, is my go-to layering garment for active winter outdoor activities in Minnesota. The traditional Dale sweaters I have are far denser/warmer than any of my other sweaters. Dale makes a wide variety, ranging from merino wool sweaters (more dress sweaters) to more traditional, heavy duty "Norwegian wool" sweaters that are great for outdoor use. While they are admittedly pricey, I look at them as lifelong investment.

https://us.daleofnorway.com/knit-sweaters-and-pullovers-for-men

KFF, bacpacjac, Dillon Finan and 2 others like this.
  24. Back50

Back50 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    bacpacjac and PAcanis like this.
  25. Sandcut

Sandcut Sed ego sum homo indomitus Vendor

Blog Posts:
    @PAcanis I can't speak to the sweater that you bought from Bean, but I've received both their ragg wool and their heritage Norwegian sweaters as Christmas presents over the last few years. They are both very heavy and warm when compared to most other sweaters. And face it, most people wear sweaters inside, so they don't want them too warm. The sweaters that I have are outside sweaters. I've been out in just a flannel and one of the ragg wool sweaters in the low 20s with just jeans on and not been cold without being overly active (e.g., slow walk). They're really nice under a good rain coat when the temps are like 34*F and rainy. Perfect for that IMO.

If you are a size Large, I have a Bean ragg wool pullover in green that I'll mail to you to try out if you want. If you like it and want to keep it, make me a reasonable offer for payment or trade. If you don't like it, it doesn't fit or you want a different color or whatever, just mail it back.

I can send you a photo of it when I get home. I'm just taking a mental smoke break at work right now and don't have access to the photo. Or I have a closer purge thread out there with sale items if you want to go looking for it.

Lemme know.

26. 45jack

Blog Posts:
  27. bigbore442001

bigbore442001 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Hello All:

This past year I made the decision to get a well made wool sweater for general use. I was not very impressed with what was available in the average box store so with the suggestions of some from this board I took the plunge and bought two wool sweaters. One from Aran Sweater and Sou West Chunkies.

Both sweaters are good but the SW is thick and built for work. As I type this at the tail end of the polar vortex it has been my constant companion of sorts.

The Aran mills is a dark green heavy weight merino wool model. I had to send it back because it was too small. Normally I wear a 2x but in Ireland a 2x is like a 1 x here. So I exchanged it for a 3x, the largest size they make and it fit. I did notice that the weave is rather open. It is warm but not as much as the SW model.

The SW chunkie took a few weeks to be made and shipped to my home in Massachusetts . The main man, Peter Marrow is great to deal with and will chat over the phone to ensure you get what you need as well as a fit. The SW has a collar but it took a day for me to get used to it . It formed to my body and it is quite warm. With a thermal base this sweater is great for going outside. I am tempted to get another one in the future for my ensemble.

28. 45jack

Blog Posts:
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  29. TrespassersWilliam

TrespassersWilliam Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    bacpacjac, Red Ochre and PAcanis like this.
  30. wsdstan

wsdstan Guide

Blog Posts:
    Interesting thread. I have three sweaters that I use when out in cold weather. One is made of Merino wool, is lightweight, tighter weave that most and extremely warm under a good anorak and over a regular weight wool shirt. Next is a Woolrich crew neck I would call medium weight. It works well but is not as warm as the much lighter weight and tighter weave of the Merino. Lastly I have a British sweater made about forty years ago that I bought new. It is the kind sailors wore under their waterproofs in the North Atlantic. It is heavy, a kind of rib knit, and has leather elbow patches. It was, for years, my favorite mountain climbing insulating layer under a windbreaker and for active use outside it is very good. I still wear it when walking around in the winter under a windbreaker or unlined coat. It is very much like the photos of the SW Chunky sweater that was available on this site back before Christmas.

I have found over the years as I age my tendency is to get lighter weight items and more layers which works, for me, as well as the heavier and fewer layers I used earlier in the outdoors.

We have a lot more choices these days than when I was more active in the 1960's. Wool is still my favorite insulator but I cannot fault those light down jackets or fleece coats.

bacpacjac, Red Ochre and PAcanis like this.
  31. Nightflyer

Nightflyer Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  32. Lead Dog

Lead Dog Guide

Blog Posts:
    Which LL Bean sweater did you buy? I have the Waterfowl Sweater with Windstopper liner. I love it and wear it all the time. It is warmer than a heavyweight, North Face-type fleece and blocks the wind, unlike most fleece sweaters on the market. I wear it both to the office and outdoors. If you don't mind a pullover, it is more than worth the price.

33. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    bacpacjac and Lead Dog like this.
  34. Melissa Hinostroza

Melissa Hinostroza Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Hi Pacanis! I thought I would give a little insight on this since I recently opened an organization called Arms of Andes that developed mid layers and base layers from 100% Alpaca wool. Thick wool sweaters are something of history now since we are competing with synthetics that are lightweight. Especially people who travel and backpack, they prefer to have light weight clothes that provide warmth and breath ability. Alpaca and Merino are natural wools that are used for hiking but not many travelers want to deal with a sweater that takes up too much room in their bags or is hassle to carry. So, we are forced to think outside the box when it comes to our wool and offer finer wool and finer yard count, so the fleeces are less heavy than usual and offer the same warmth. Typically, garments of 100% natural wools will cost more than 100 usd so it does get more expensive. But there are other benefits to it such as: completely natural, softer, durable, wicking abilities, hypoallergenic, ordor resistant, etc.

Usually wool garments that are sold for active use will carry the weight by m2. However, for fashions, its not usually mentioned. Anyways if you have any questions, or would like to know the difference between Merino and Alpaca wools, please let me know.

bacpacjac, SmilinJoe, ExAF1N1 and 3 others like this.
  35. Philly-Billy

Philly-Billy Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have the same Bean sweater that you describe. I think for the money it is a darn good option. I wear a base layer, the wool sweater and a jacket and it keeps me warm down to about 15. In fact, I can’t wear it indoors as I get heated.

I also recommend buying a size up, a tight wool sweater is not a good thing (or maybe, it just how it looks on me:rolleyes:).

36. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    ..."So, we are forced to think outside the box when it comes to our wool and offer finer wool and finer yard count, so the fleeces are less heavy than usual..."

Sounds like you are working in the opposite direction I'm wanting to go, Melissa, but thanks.

bacpacjac and Philly-Billy like this.
  37. PAcanis

Blog Posts:

I did try the Bean. Nice sweater. It might have been slightly heavier than the sweater I bought.
    The one I tried the sleeves were too short, but I haven't ruled out ordering one in a larger size.

bacpacjac, Sandcut and Philly-Billy like this.
  38. Traditionalist

Traditionalist Guide

Blog Posts:
    Ha! So true. By the second post I’ve already learned about the Dachstein and REALLY want one!!!

I’ve got drawers and totes full of sweaters, and the LLBeans get the most mileage. They fit well, are comfortable over a range of temperatures, and look civilized.

My heaviest sweaters are my Filson Guides (they’re freakin awesome) a pair of Swedish or Norwegian militaries, and my grandparents sweaters from their open car days. The latter don’t fit, but as a sentimental sweater junky, I’ll never get rid of them.

In related news, I took a chance on the Irish Cardigan that’s imported via Amazon/Ebay, and its not bad for $50+. I only wear mine around the house because I won’t attempt to pull off that much fashion statement in public. It’s VERY soft and comfortable, fairly loose knit, and I don’t trust the buttons long term. But for a genuine Irish sweater at China pricing, I’m pleased with my purchase.

bacpacjac, PAcanis and BradGad like this.
  39. BradGad

Blog Posts:
    I’m scared to go look at the Filson Guide. Love Filson but probably can’t afford one right now.

40. Traditionalist

Traditionalist Guide

Blog Posts:
  41. Traditionalist

Traditionalist Guide

Blog Posts:
    The prices are stupid now. I built most of my collection 10 years ago and more, and by watching sales like a hawk.

42. Traditionalist

Traditionalist Guide

Blog Posts:
    bacpacjac likes this.
  43. Beach Hiker

Beach Hiker Traveller Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    All of my wool sweaters were knitted by my wife.
    I have different thicknesses, types of wool, and patterns.
    The TYPE of wool makes a difference. The more raw and unrefined, the warmer the sweater. But the raw wool sweaters look "hairy" and itch on skin.
    The PATTERN of the knit also makes a difference.
    Wool seems to heat up when you have it on..... trapping the heat.
    Wind is the great enemy of wool.... cuts right through it.

44. Jeffa

Jeffa Tracker

Blog Posts:
    bacpacjac and Beach Hiker like this.
  45. leghog

leghog Guide

Blog Posts:
    Look at USN GOB/deck sweaters. 100% wool, USA made, and can often be found at great prices. Same with artic socks.

bacpacjac, Beach Hiker and PAcanis like this.
  46. woods warden

woods warden Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have 12 wool sweaters LL Bean, lands end, Woolrich and many more .I hit resale shops like Goodwill and savers every week. IvI' paid $4 to $15 for them. Some of them still have the tags. I wear them all the time and I don't worry about burns or holes because they were cheap. I haven't ruined one yet but I love wool. I also like silk under shirts that I find there cheap.

47. PAcanis

Blog Posts:

They are definitely a couple tiers higher than I wanted to go, but if that's what it takes to get an old-timey thick sweater...
    Buy once, cry once. Right?

48. Jetjr

Jetjr Scout

Blog Posts:
    Best places I've found to get them too. Some high end stuff sometimes.

bacpacjac, PAcanis and GoodPhotos like this.
  49. GoodPhotos

GoodPhotos Father, Husband, Patriot, Entrepreneur Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Deep in wild wooded Western foothills of Maine
    The trick with most LLBean stuff for me seems to be buying their older gear .

I got this one at GoodWill as I have most of my Beans gear. (I admit I'm lucky in that I live just an hour from Beans' Global HQ so a LOT of Beans stuff ends up at GoodWill, often with the tags still attached....life is good.) :)

Sweater.jpg SweaterLabel.jpg

Looks close to the one that @wisconsinwalter posted above. This one weighs almost 2lbs and a bit 'oversized' and it is crazy warm. It is not 'merino' but the fleece on the collar allows me to wear it even with a crewneck under it.

It was also made in Hong Kong rather than 'China' (likely before HK was given back?)

Some of the newer Beans stuff seems MUCH lighter and not as well made. I prefer layers over all. Usually fleece 1/4 zip pull over, a wool button up or sweater, a wool or fleece vest and then my outer jacket. (Either a leather field coat, Johnsons Mills/Woolrich field coat or my fishtail Parka, depending on how cold and windy it is.) That way I'm comfortable no matter what...just have to shed layers if the area or I get too warm.

50. Traditionalist

Traditionalist Guide

Blog Posts:
    What’s the fit like? Should an average civilian order the next size up to get a normal fit? Is the wool similar to the USGI knit cap? Thanks :)