Lets talk wool sweaters/question on sweater I just got

Discussion in 'Clothing' started by PAcanis, Jan 31, 2019.

1. leghog

leghog Guide

Blog Posts:
    Yes. Order larger than you may think need you need. I've found that to be the case with nearly all military clothing. And yes, my sweater is similar to the wool watch cap.

Timex, highlander, bacpacjac and 3 others like this.
  2. Sandcut

Sandcut Sed ego sum homo indomitus Vendor Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The Swiss Dachstein military sweaters are awesome! I was fortunate enough to have been gifted one by @alukban a year or so ago (thanks again, man!) and I was planning on wearing this weekend at Meatrock until I got sick. These are not your every day, wear it over a tie at grandma's house kinda sweaters. They are like wearing a coat. I've worn it over a flannel shirt and jeans while hiking in the mid-high teens with 20+mph winds and been comfortable/borderline too hot. It really is a warm sweater. Quite possibly too warm for most people and their activities.

They fit snug through the waist and big through the chest and arms. But they're made for physically fit soldiers, not dumpy old office workers. Fortunately, I still have most of my girlish figure, so it isn't too tight through the gut. My EDC carry piece does print very strongly wearing this sweater compared to my LL Bean sweaters because it doesn't have the "blouse" that the other sweaters have. That's not a problem for me because I wouldn't normally be wearing a sweater this heavy to a place where printing would be an issue. But I wanted to throw it out there for folks who may be looking to purchase one.

The Dachstein weighs in at 2.5 lbs. on our bathroom scale.

If you want an indestructable, very warm sweater, these can't be beat. Much warmer even than my warmest Bean wool sweater.

3. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:

Is it like this one?
    https://www.sweaterchalet.com/dachs...MIh921s8yx4AIVjYbACh3d8Aa9EAQYASABEgJX2fD_BwE

I'm finding it tough choosing a sweater because of my perceived requirements :28:
    I don't like blue unless it's on my blue jeans, so that rules out the Filson Guide crew neck.
    I also don't like collars, buttons or zippers. So that rules out just about everything else mentioned. But I am slowly coming around to having to settle for a collar with buttons or a zipper. I guess crew necks aren't that popular in the higher end outdoors sweaters.

bacpacjac and Sandcut like this.
  4. Sandcut

Blog Posts:

Yep. That's the one. Those prices are new Dachstein sweater prices, but you can get them for much less used if you can find them.

I'm usually a crew neck sweater guy myself, but I find myself liking the button up collar on this sweater. I've worn it to work on some really nasty, raw 33°-34°F rainy, windy days for work and been completely comfortable. When it's just above freezing and wet there's nothing better than wool. I'd rather have 15° temps and dry to work in than 34° and rain. That's just miserable to work in, but work in it I must at times. Wool, PVC and gum boots! Makes life much, much better.

Check around the web. You should be able to find one of those Austrian sweaters for cheaper than $300. But having said that, if it came down to spending $300 on one of these sweaters or spending $300 on something like a Filson guide sweater, as much as I love Filson and their sweaters that I've seen, I'd put the money toward the Austrian Dachstein.

bacpacjac and PAcanis like this.
  5. JoeJ

JoeJ Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Nice looking hoodie - you might also look at WoolX - they have a heavyweight merino hoodie that looks like it would get the job done. Myself, I prefer the 1/4 zip heavyweight shirt around the house and as a layer under a down or wool coat.

I wait for the close out pricing, which is normally 1/2 price or more off. Good merino is hard to beat.

bacpacjac and Jeffa like this.
  6. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the input!

7. BradGad

BradGad Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    @Sandcut said:

>The Dachstein weighs in at 2.5 lbs. on our bathroom scale.

So, probably lethal here in Georgia.

That Filson guide sweater looks really nice though... and such a bargain.

8. bacpacjac

bacpacjac Queen of the Cups Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Thanks to you guys, I just spent an hour scouring the second-hand, looking at every wool sweater they had. I didn't have any luck today but did find a nice thick wool blanket for $7.99. :)

Thanks guys!

Dscythe, Jeffa and PAcanis like this.
  9. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    I am the proud purchaser of a used Austrian Dachstein Military Mtn Sweater of Fleabay. :59:
    Pricey, but nowhere near the price of a new one. 200 bucks and listed as mint condition. Looked it, too.
    We shall see... :)

And not that I'm hoping for negative temps again... but one day would be nice, lol.

Sandcut, bacpacjac and Traditionalist like this.
  10. bacpacjac

bacpacjac Queen of the Cups Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I wore my three favourites today and tey made the perfect layers for the -13C/8.6F windchill factor: a thin merino wool hoodie, a poly-wool blend 1/4 zip sweater and my thick wool full zip A&F hoodie. :)

P2117724.JPG

BradGad, PAcanis and 45jack like this.
  11. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    I need some help here.
    My sweater from an Ebay seller arrived today. I haven't even tried it on yet, but it feels and looks just like I want it.
    But the tag does not say what I thought it would.

It's supposed to be an Austrian Dachstein, but the tag says MIL/TEC by STURM.
    Maybe I'm confused, but I expected it to say Dachstein. Or is Dachstein merely the type of sweater?

ETA: And another problem I see is it can be had for $100 brand new off the UK Amazon.
    I'm thinking it's a well made duplicate, but I paid twice as much for it thinking it was a $300 Austrian Dachstein.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  12. Timex

Timex BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Wooly Pully. From a previous post.
    IMG_0448.JPG

13. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    Wooly Pully?
    According to Sweater Chalet they should say Dachstein Woolwear.
    :confused:

Timex and bacpacjac like this.
  14. Sandcut

Blog Posts:
    I'll check mine to see what it says when I get home.

And "wooly pully" most likely wasn't referring to your sweater. That's what they call the Army's wool/ acrylic sweater.

15. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    Hey thanks, I appreciate that.
    The seller hasn't gotten back to me yet. He's either doing his own research or... I don't know, lol.

I got a hold of Sweater Chalet, who advertises the high dollar Austrian Dachsteins, and asked what the tag says. The guy said Dachstein Woolwear and said they are made in Austria.

There's nothing really wrong with the sweater I got, but if I could have bought the same thing new for 100, then that is the problem. Mil Tec makes a lot of military repros and that is what this is. Mil/Tec by Sturm (Germany).

16. 45jack

45jack Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Timex, bacpacjac and PAcanis like this.
  17. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    I'm semi-satisfied.
    The seller said he would issue me the refund I requested and said I could keep the sweater. And asked to see a pic of the label so he would know in the future.
    I'm pretty sure this caught him by surprise. He probably thought he had a yard sale find that was too good to be true. And it probably still was.
    So while I don't have a Dachstein, I do have a German reproduction of the military sweater. And it is 100% wool and the thickness I had wanted.

I took it out and "washed" it in the snow and am calling it mine :)

Dscythe, badglide9705 and bacpacjac like this.
  18. KFF

KFF Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My favourite is my Norweigian Devold Nansen. Been wearing it about 10 years.
    Spring/autumn I wear a windproof thin fleece under it. Chilly summer evenings I wear it when fishing on the boat.
    Been kayaking at the sea in below freezing temps in it. In winter under a parka jacket, if raining under a thin waterproof etc. Basically all the time.

https://www.devold.com/en-GB/nansen-sweater-high-neck/?p=TC 386 390 A&c=770A

19. Sandcut

Blog Posts:
    Well, I learned something today. Mine is a Sturm/MilTec sweater as well. If that means it's not a true Dachstein, I'm OK with that. It's still the heaviest, warmest, most indestructible sweater that I've ever seen. In fact, I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around a "true" Dachstein sweater actually being capable of being that much better to warrant the price difference.

Sorry it wasn't what you thought it was, but I'd say you still got a hell of a sweater.

20. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, it's hard to not like a well made repro. That's why I told him I would keep it.
    Thanks for checking that out for me.
    And now anyone reading this thread will know. Check the label. It's the difference between a $100 sweater and a $300+ namebrand sweater.

21. mjh

mjh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I don't wear sweaters that much any more. When I was working in Alaska I had a dense wool german surplus sweater, its was great under my grundin's. I'm not sure if I have it any more and I know it doesn't fit.

The absolute best sweater I own I bought in Vik, Iceland. From the sweater place in town. Can only really wear it in Jan. Feb. winter temps in MN. I have to be careful not to get too hot......

Here are a couple of quick photos. Found a Canadian sweater I own also. Very warm...the Icelandic on just edges it out for warmth....

P7081766.JPG P7081770.JPG P7081767.JPG P7081769.JPG

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    bacpacjac likes this.
  22. woodsranger

woodsranger Solitude Seeker

Blog Posts:
    I had that same sweater. It was my favorite for years! Can't do pullovers anymore though so I only get zips now. Getting old is so much fun. :rolleyes:

bacpacjac likes this.
  23. Outdoor Dauber

Outdoor Dauber Roughian #3 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    WHAT?!? Are you sure you didn't get a knock off??
    IMG_20190215_204718739.jpg

Portage_Monster and bacpacjac like this.
  24. Timex

Timex BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    For the record Wooly Pully, Commando Sweater, or Jumper. I chose the wool. Some were made with a wool/acrylic blend. Many were contract sweaters: excellent quality, wool, and made in U.S.A. I have one from the U.K. and one from the U.S.A. As you can probably tell, I have a connection to the sweater. In the mid 70's to mid 80's, along with the M-65 field jacket liner (modified), it was all we had for layering. I wore the ever lovin' cr@p out of my sweaters-it was all I had.

bacpacjac likes this.
  25. PAcanis

Blog Posts:

No, I didn't get anything. But that's because I called them.
    They (Stormy Kromer) confirmed that the trapper hat I was looking at was not made by them, but in China. Apparently they import, too.
    So just because you are on a site selling specialized American made products (the SK hat), doesn't mean all the products they sell are American made.
    Goofy, I know.

bacpacjac and Outdoor Dauber like this.
  26. Outdoor Dauber

Outdoor Dauber Roughian #3 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sad, actually. :(

27. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    Update:
    It works :)

It was 9F with a slight breeze this morning and we had enough snow overnight to warrant snowblowing the driveway. I figured it was a good test to see if the Sturm Dachstein I got would do the job. Would it allow minimal layering and keep me warm with only a short sleeved T shirt underneath and the Boreal Mtn Anorak over. Would it keep the wind from passing through like the LL Bean did.
    And I'm happy to say it worked just like I wanted. It kept me plenty warm while sitting on the tractor.

And I'm not much of a collar guy, especially on sweaters, but turning the collar up around my neck, but still leaving a couple buttons undone, allowed me to keep the anorak's front piece tucked down and my neck was still plenty warm enough. And comfortable. What's more, I was a heck of a lot more comfortable than wearing a thick, heavy Carhartt.

Overall the Sturm/Mil-Tec's version of the Austrian Dachstein is a quality thick sweater and costs 1/3 the price. Win/Win.

Sandcut, woodsranger and bacpacjac like this.
  28. TrailbreakerOutdoors

TrailbreakerOutdoors Tracker

Blog Posts:
    [​IMG]
    Can't recommend the Devold wool sweaters enough. Really amazing stuff. Little pricey, but well worth it I think. I received one from my in-laws and I have barely took it off. Size down if you want it to fit a little trimmer. I usually wear a medium and I am wearing a small in this picture

https://imgur.com/HY2xkOS

Philly-Billy, bacpacjac and PAcanis like this.
  29. winterlover

winterlover Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    PAcanis likes this.
  30. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    Possum fiber? Interesting. I had no idea possums were used for anything.

31. winterlover

winterlover Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I think these are not what we in the U.S. call possums, they are brush tailed possums, a different animal entirely. They are not native to NZ, and they are an invasive pest, eating up native vegetation and killing rare birds, so they are trying to get rid of them. Or at least reduce the numbers of them. People put out possum traps for them. The fur is very soft and warm. It is blended with merino wool and small amounts of silk or nylon to make very warm sweaters.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_brushtail_possum

Last edited: May 18, 2019
    PAcanis and Sandcut like this.
  32. Ith

Ith Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I think it is possible to find "chunky wool sweater" nowadays...but not in the mainstream shop.

You must find something special, most often "handknitted" (handknitting give more volume). It is possible to find good one here in France (old industry) or Ireland (Aran handknitted sweater) but it will be easier to try :

- Son of a gun wool sweater (jumper) : https://www.blacksheepknitwear.com/products/son-of-gun
    - Toyer by Rymhart in germany (very heavy tight wave for sea, morethan 2 pound !) : https://www.rymhart-troyer.de/
    - Officier by Saint James in France (seaman sweater very long, very fit and tight , approximatly 2 pound in XL) : https://www.saint-james.com/fr/officier-1u-7161.html

Normally you have the choice between worsted wool (tougher and block a little the wind like brittonic french sweater (ex : Saint James Officier or anglo norman gansey/guerney) or looser carded wool (warmer for weight but better under something like an anorak) like icelandic sweater : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lopapeysa

Or what we call here "shepherd sweater" from old rugged wool (stronger but itchier ) often undyed and with some smell and with small piece of thistle keep inside . They are "in between".

Something like this probably : http://www.souwestchunkies.com/

Also from Germany you have "walk" a very felted knitted wool, something special (not exactly loden since this is knitted). Very heavy wool in W300 (28oz/800g per square meter). You could find this with "Mufflon" (walk also from Geiger, Giesswein...). Here : https://www.mufflon.com/produkt/w300-unisex-men.html

A trick : the longer the better against cold, specially if you could put the sweater inside your pant. Think a nice fitted wooly pully (british commando sweater) or seaman sweater.

For aran sweater handknitted I could recommand "Athena Designs" (more than 2 pounds in large), but it is pricey. You have to pay the wool and the decent wage of the generally old handknitter. Commercially handknitted sweater from Ireland will probably vanished because people are richer now.

here : https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/travels/item/athena18-379-2s-crew-dkgrey/

difference between aran sweater : https://putthison.com/guide-to-buying-a-good-aran-sweater/

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    PAcanis likes this.
  33. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    Some of those mufflons were nice.

34. Robert Schmidt

Robert Schmidt Tracker

Blog Posts:
    +1 for Filson.

I used to have a Fjällräven wool sweater which I used for layering in cold weather. Since I own a 26oz mackinaw wool Jac shirt ive never used it again. Time came and more Filson came. Nowadays id rather wait for another year or two and buy Filson to start with. Only exceptions being light merino shirts which I buy in big bunches.

Greetings,
    Robert

PAcanis likes this.
  35. Ith

Ith Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Yes, it is a heavy felted knitted wool (name is "walk" from the process) so you have some stretch and some wind resistance and waterproofing (but it is wool).

"Walk" is very resistant for wool it doesn't snag easily. German use them for felted slipper (Geisweinn brand is well known in Europe). This kind of wool is traditionally used in the east for hunting gear like vest (with loden outside, loden is not stretch it is not knitted).

Of course it is heavy, a sweater in L is more than 2 pound (1100g).

PAcanis likes this.
  36. Odie

Odie Scout

Blog Posts:
    Here's my addition to the wool sweater conversation based on my experiences:

Merino wool tends to run thinner because because it's finer, but you can often find a variety of weights. Best as a base or mid layer because of its softness and also works well as active wear because of this. Being thinner doesn't equate to not being warm, it's just not going to be as warm as a thick woolly pully. In other words, fantastic for layering and great for transitional weather and backpacking.

I have various Merino wool layers from t-shirts, to long sleeve t-shirts, to a bit heavier quater zip, and even leggings for when I'm going someplace stupid cold.

I've also managed to pick up two commando sweaters: one is a legit USMC issue manufactured by Mitt Nitts and the other is a Rothco. Both are heavier and plenty warm. The Mitts Nitts feels a bit more rugged, but is also scratchy. The Rothco is amazingly not scratchy.

PAcanis likes this.