Lever Action Question

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by atomicsmurf, Aug 19, 2019.

1. atomicsmurf

atomicsmurf Tracker

Blog Posts:
    A friend of mine has a Henry .357 lever action rifle (neither of us has shot a lever gun before). We were shooting from the bench and noticed that with just a finger on the trigger (not holding the lever closed) when we fired the lever would drop to the point of almost opening the bolt. Is that normal in a lever action? Do you have to keep your hand on the lever?

It mostly happened with +P's and .357 magnum. Lever opens about an inch, maybe inch and a half. I don't think the bolt ever opened.

Also, how far should these guns be kicking out brass? His shells seem to roll out and drop at his feet. Some times they get hung up in the breach.

I was thinking about getting one of these for myself, but after this... maybe I'll look at a different brand. Is the Marlin 1894c any better?

freebirdfb likes this.
  2. 08H3

08H3 God, Family and Freedom Vendor Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I always shoot my 357 with a full grip so I am no help there. But on the brass, it sounds like your running the lever to gently. Most of the lever guns I have shot like the lever ran hard and fast.

3. Daveboone

Daveboone Scout

Blog Posts:
    Model 94s have a built in safety feature, a small button that needs to be depressed by the lever to fire. I wonder if the Henry has a similar built in not so obvious feature? Most lever actions, like pump actions, like to be operated briskly for proper function. Don't be gentle with them.

4. Unistat76

Unistat76 Nerd Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Work it like a rented mule.

freebirdfb, Lee C., PMSteve and 4 others like this.
  5. ozarkhunter

ozarkhunter Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    I only have about 100 rounds through my Henry Big Boy steel .44 carbine. I haven't noticed an issue with the lever dropping down, but also tend to keep a firm grip on it when shooting. My brass clears about 2' when cycling the action. I'm not working it like Lucas McCain, but am intentional in cycling the action.

6. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, probably just a result of recoil and that smooth Henry action.
    This is the first time I've ever read of someone NOT having a hand on the lever while shooting. And I do a lot of bench shooting myself.
    That faster you cycle the action, the further the shell will eject.

7. atomicsmurf

atomicsmurf Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Even when racking it pretty hard the shells come out pretty whimpy. Just wondering if it's a normal Henry characteristic. I'm used to bolt action and the shells flying out.

Do the Marlin 1894's have... whatsitcalled... lever safety spring? Do you have to press the lever hard enough to disengaged that safety spring before firing?

freebirdfb likes this.
  8. RebelYell

RebelYell Scout

Blog Posts:
    Ya got a learning curve...different kinda animal...You hold them with the lever fully closed and wrack them hard from the shoulder. Worst thing you can do is short struck the lever. Ya get “oops” that way...I shoot Marlins, Henry’s and Rossi R92’s. These are working guns. The Henry’s have very slick actions. All of my hard use carbines have leather lever wraps to save wear and tear on my fingers when I wrack the levers. Empties definitely don’t go into the next county.

However, my original Marlin Guide Gun has a Wild West heavy duty ejector installed to kick out the 45-70’s cases like a bolt action. That one is my “dangerous game” rifle and has Garrett Hammerheads in it.

freebirdfb, atomicsmurf and PMSteve like this.
  9. Pilot

Pilot Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have a Marlin 336 .30-30 and have never noticed that. I do keep a firm grip (not a death grip) on the lever and stock. It's a tack driver. Those old Marlin Micro Groove barrels are really good.

Robert Highhawk and atomicsmurf like this.
  10. Robedsubset

Robedsubset Scout

Blog Posts:
    The lever shouldn’t pop open. It should positively lock in the closed position until a certain amount of downward force is applied. If the lever is loose it can be tightened. As far as ejecting shells my marlin flings them out a fair distance (no experience with Henry).

atomicsmurf likes this.
  11. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    40 S&W & 22 Mag fan residing in New England
    Its normal. Not being a smart ass but its gravity.

Recoil gars the action and the lever opes as the bolt falls...

As stated Winchester ‘94’s have a safety so they shouldnt shoot unless the shooter squeezes the lever.

It is DESIGNED to be held closed so done be suprised when it opens..

CW

atomicsmurf and RebelYell like this.
  12. Kennebago

Kennebago Scout

Blog Posts:
    It doesn't sound wrong, but to your point not all lever actions will do that and it would at least make me curious in your shoes as well. Not a dumb question at all.

My North Haven 336 in .35 Rem does not pop open... but it was also made back in the 70s or early 80s. I shot an Ilion-made 1894 in .44 Mag a couple of weeks ago and don't remember it happening there either.

atomicsmurf likes this.
  13. quietmike

quietmike Hardwoodsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Some of the marlins i bought well used would pop open on their own. The finger lever plunger would get rounded off, along with the pin it locks into.

A few quick swipes with a file and the plunger is good. Drive the pin out and reinsert it turned 180 degrees.

Henry's might be different, but would be easy to check.

atomicsmurf likes this.
  14. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    Some lever guns have a sloppy lever that wants to open even with an unfired round in the chamber.

It’s gun specific.

When buying a lever gun it’s one of the things I look for. I want my levers to snap closed and stay closed.

atomicsmurf likes this.
  15. MAD Punty

MAD Punty Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I only have one lever gun, and it doesn't do that. Mine is a 30-30.

Unless the brass fails to eject on occasion, I wouldn't worry about the ejection too much. It may even be a benefit if you reload. As others have mentioned, your fingers should be in the loop when you fire.

Having said that....if it were me, I'd have a gunsmith look at it. I wouldn't want my rifle to have tolerances that make it sloppy and loose. I'm not picky, but it would reduce my enjoyment of it.

atomicsmurf likes this.
  16. JoeJ

JoeJ Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Haaa ya, dangerous game rifle - I have one too, a 450 Marlin with Wild West everything and I believe that ejector is called "bear proof" and I keep guard over the war department's flower garden, never know when those elephants will come calling.:4:

RebelYell and Cwlongshot like this.
  17. Prairiewolf

Prairiewolf Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have owned and fired several Marlin lever action rifles, and they all seem to have positive ejection as long as the lever is worked briskly. I recently acquired a Henry Big Boy .357 rifle , and would confirm that the ejection is considerably "softer" than the Marlins. I am OK with this, since I try to keep my brass for reloading. Regarding the lever dropping open, I would concur that ANY lever action should be held with the other three fingers of the shooting hand inside of the lever loop and wrapped FIRMLY around the stock.

atomicsmurf likes this.
  18. 62flint

62flint Scout

Blog Posts:
    No, Marlins have a spring and plunger that holds the lever closed. They also have a mechanism that blocks the trigger unless the lever is closed.

atomicsmurf and Cwlongshot like this.