Lewis & Clark’s Becker BK2

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by Enzo, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Enzo

Enzo Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I visited the Heinz History Center in Pittsburgh today, and there were a lot of interesting things to look at. Learned quite a bit, and had a good time.

Among some of the things that stuck out to me was a historical reproduction of a knife that was taken on the Lewis & Clark Expedition of 1804.

I’ve been under the impression that outdoors knives of the time were similar to butchers knives, with a thin stock. I thought super-thick knives were strictly from the modern era. Apparently I was wrong.

2B52EDB9-FE58-4CF1-A0F3-FA375630EB13.jpeg
    8DB04AB8-A145-4F71-AD7D-1128461FCA22.jpeg
    306D2478-42B1-4928-9943-ED1A5F46285C.jpeg
    13459CFE-1A65-4550-A48F-5DCED2DB7554.jpeg
    6AF17B1D-A066-4D4C-B328-59F7D69788B4.jpeg

The knife rivals the BK2 in terms of thickness!

2. MAD Punty

MAD Punty Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That impression comes from Nessmuck. Very interesting, and thanks for sharing.

I noticed they had a good 90 degree spine on them for striking their ferro rods, too.:22:

EDIT: Hard to tell from the picture, but that knife looks like it could be over 7 inches long, too. That's a chunk of steel, for sure.

3. Enzo

Enzo Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    It looked about 8 inches on the blade, with about 7 inches of cutting edge. Definitely a beastly knife.

4. backlasher

backlasher Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    There's a book, Undaunted Courage, about their expedition. I get the impression that there were a lot of large knives in use in the west. Thanks for the pictures.

5. Ronc

Ronc Scout

Blog Posts:
    When you go to most any museum that displays artifacts (original or reproduction) of edged tools from our past, you will find a LOT of big knives. There were many more what we would call "large knives" than small ones. The "myth" that an experienced woodsman would only carry a "small knife" is very much a. modern outlook.
    Just my $0.02 worth!
    Ron

FWIW: Captain Clark is one of my ancestors

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  6. VtBlackDog

VtBlackDog Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Cool, thanks ferr post'n

7. x39

x39 Hyperborean Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm currently reading that, very well written and interesting. I'd recommend it to anyone interested in the subject. As to the knife in the OP, I wonder how far the tang goes into that piece of stag?

8. Ronc

Ronc Scout

Blog Posts:
    x39, if its like a number of originals I have seen, probably about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way. It does have a pin to help secure it. My Dad used to set up at the NMLRA shoots in Friendship , IN. Between him and his friends & associates, I was able to see quite a few original Longhunter's knives.

Regards,
    Ron

9. Primordial

Primordial MOA #40 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    We have to remember that back then if you were a woodsman, you just didn't go out to woods and cook some bacon over a fire and share your newly scrimshawed powder horn on Instagram. You were many times in hostile lands and had one good shot with your rifle (maybe two) before the enemy was on you so having a stout knife with a long blade that could penetrate through a human thorax was beneficial.

10. Ronc

Ronc Scout

Blog Posts:
    Absolutely! I'm in the process of making a Rifleman's knife..so this post is a good coincidence! My blade is not quite as refined as the one in the museum, but the intent is the same.

Ron

[​IMG]

11. x39

x39 Hyperborean Supporter

Blog Posts:
  12. Jonah L. Archer

Jonah L. Archer ~Roughian #21~ ~ MOA #62 ~ Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Not to mention grizzly and mountain lions...

13. Enzo

Enzo Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    A knife is useless against a grizzly. In fact the expedition came across a grizzly, and it took 10 shots and still kept charging. The men jumped into the Mississippi River and another man was able to shoot the grizzly when it jumped in after them. A shot to the brain is what finally took out the grizzly. The previous shots had done a lot of damage, including shattering the shoulder, but hadn’t even slowed the grizzly.

These were high-caliber muskets. I can’t imagine a man with a knife having even a slight chance against that beast.

14. Jonah L. Archer

Jonah L. Archer ~Roughian #21~ ~ MOA #62 ~ Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I don't disagree with you, but if I'm the guy getting ready to become a steamy pile of bear poop, a slight chance is better than no chance at all! :18:

I wasn't trying to say that a knife is good grizzly defense, but a stout knife would make a much better "last ditch" weapon than a thin bladed one. My point was that there were many reasons to have that stout, "last ditch" weapon during that time...

15. Enzo

Enzo Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Agreed.

16. Bridgetdaddy

Bridgetdaddy Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Looks great. Pls post the finished knife too.

17. Paul Foreman

Paul Foreman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sellers, Alabama, in South Montgomery County
    much appreciate the post ...

18. Enzo

Enzo Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    These are completely unrelated to my original post, but I figured some of you might appreciate them nonetheless.

While at the museum I spied an Old Hickory on display, alongside its ancient ancestor, which has been sharpened nearly to oblivion.

CE13588D-56CE-4498-BCDE-E7A2D54A5BC9.jpeg
    0C91010D-7B81-4F8A-8FF6-7E1C8C0E4C44.jpeg

And I saw this Native American tribal chief wearing a neck knife. I know a lot of folks here like to wear those, so I took a pic.

EF2B5EC4-E942-4D23-9828-595BD2F0B172.jpeg
    7F3C1D4E-5793-4A39-800A-21786B632B7F.jpeg

19. Sacramento Johnson

Sacramento Johnson Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Howdy!
    Eastern woodlands Indians used neck knives and sheaths like the above. They weren't common on Western plains Indians from what I've read.

As for thin blades vs thick, if you look at the commercially made Hudson Bay Camp knife (probably available 1840s and later; can't say if they were earlier), you will find it to be a very thick chunk of metal. Thin butcher style blades were extremely common from the late 1700s until the end of the 1800s as factory made knives, but in a book on 'homespun' knives of the same era, super thin slicing blades weren't the only things out there; quite a few looked to be pretty stout and formidable. (Also look at what we now call 'bowie knives'; the idea of a big fighting knife existed long before ol' Jim came along as well, and could be quite massive! Check out Flayderman's colorful book on them.)

I think the thing people forget nowadays is that those woodsmen and pioneers didn't go out into the wilds with just one blade. They probably carried a pocket knife, belt knife or bag knife, hand axe or hawk all on their person. Large axes and saws and butchering knives were on their pack animals or in their wagons.

20. GreyOne

GreyOne Elder Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The Hudson Bay knife, Arkansas toothpick, riflemans knife, etc. were all large and stout knives. Southern culture included killing bears with knives hunted with dogs. When the bear was brought to bay the 3 or more hunters surrounded it and as it faced one, another hunter would stab from the side. As the bear whirled to face that threat, another would have a chance to strike.
    Many anecdotal accounts of single hunters killing black bears with a knife.
    The bear hunting was continued even into the 1870s .
    Big knives can do most anything small knives can if the user is skilled. The smaller knife cannot do some things the large one does. Today, most of us can get everything done with smaller blades, but it is worth learning the skills to use a large blade, at least for me.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  21. Ronc

Ronc Scout

Blog Posts:
    I will post pics of the finished knife. That is one great museum! Would love to go there sometime!
    Howdy Sacramento! Agree with all you said! And I know you have a few repros of said items yourself!

Regards,
    Ron

22. MAD Punty

MAD Punty Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Unless it was a Kabar.....

The originator of the KA-BAR trademark, the Union Cutlery Co. of Olean, New York, began using the name on its knives and advertising in 1923,[4] having received a letter from a fur trapper who had used the knife to kill a wounded bear which attacked him when his rifle jammed.[5] According to company records, the letter was only partially legible; "ka bar" could be read, as fragments of the phrase "kill a bear".[5][6][7][8][9][10] In 1923, the company adopted the name Ka-Bar from the "bear story" as its trademark.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ka-Bar#cite_note-How_KA-BAR_Got_Its_Name-5

23. Damian1690

Damian1690 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thank you for posting. Hope all the thick blade haters will learn a thing or two. If you don’t mind, I’d like to save the pictures to my phone so I have readily available evidence lol.

backlasher, pab1, Enzo and 1 other person like this.
  24. halo2

halo2 Curmudgeon in Training Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Looks like a really neat museum. Thanks!

backlasher, pab1, Enzo and 1 other person like this.
  25. garry3

garry3 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Eero, backlasher, pab1 and 2 others like this.
  26. Enzo

Enzo Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I’ve got no clue where the original is, but this one was made by Village Restoration & Consulting, Inc. and if anyone is real curious they could email them to see if they would give out information.

backlasher and pab1 like this.
  27. Enzo

Enzo Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    If only thick blade haters could go argue with Lewis & Clark. I wonder who would win that argument :33:

backlasher, Damian1690 and pab1 like this.
  28. pab1

pab1 Supporter Supporter Bushclass III Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:

@Jonah L. Archer is right. While far from ideal for grizzly protection, a knife is better than nothing.

Here are a few examples:

I remember reading an article about Gene Moe when this happened.
    https://shouldersofgiants.com/2016/07/24/ultimate-bear-story/

Not a knife but Ed Wiseman killed the last known grizzly in Colorado by stabbing it several times with an arrow.
    https://denver.cbslocal.com/2012/05/23/man-recounts-a-fight-for-life-with-colorados-last-grizzly/

Although this bear wasn't killed, stabbing it with a small knife appears to have ended the attack.
    https://www.rcinet.ca/en/2019/08/02/b-c-cyclist-fights-off-grizzly-bear-with-camping-knife/

This bear was already wounded when it attacked but it was killed with a knife.
    https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/11/01/fraser-graham-kills-grizzly-bear-knife_n_4194910.html

JasonJ, backlasher, turntail and 8 others like this.
  29. pab1

pab1 Supporter Supporter Bushclass III Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:

I've had that encounter on my mind since you brought it up. One of my favorite quotes from the expedition journals was when, after several grizzly encounters, Lewis wrote “I find that the curiosity of our party is pretty well satisfied with respect to this animal.” This thread also got me to drag out my BK2s!

It also reminded me of an incident the late Larry Kelly wrote of. In the book Hunting for Handgunners Kelly recounted a brown bear hunt in Alaska. On that hunt he cleanly killed a large brown bear, which skinned out just under 10 feet, with one shot from a .44 magnum.

The next day Kelly and his guide were charged by a brown bear and had to shoot it in self defense. That bear was much smaller but took 16 rounds between a .375 H&H, .44 mag and .375JDJ before it went down. When they skinned it turned out to be 7.25 feet and was loaded with holes.

I always find it interesting how differently animals can react when shot. I'm sure some of the shots were not in the vitals due to the conditions. But even the bear mentioned on the L&C Expedition had several shots through the vitals “we Shot ten Balls into him before we killed him, & 5 of those Balls through his lights.” They are amazing animals!

30. Enzo

Enzo Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I love that quote. Saw it in the museum and thought it was pretty funny.

And indeed they are impressive creatures. Very awe-inspiring.

31. riokid87

riokid87 Scout Banned

Blog Posts:
    shouldersofgiants.com/2016/07/24/ultimate-bear-story/

Enzo, backlasher and Jonah L. Archer like this.
  32. Kirk Lunsford

Kirk Lunsford Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I believe in that era, it was quite a feat and treasure to have a blacksmith's old worn-out file given to them as a knife.

Enzo, pab1, backlasher and 1 other person like this.
  33. Sharpthings

Sharpthings Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Many thanks for posting OP!

Enzo, pab1 and Jonah L. Archer like this.
  34. mcblade

mcblade Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    In reading a lot about the times of Lewis and Clark and other outdoorsmen , such as trappers. You will read that Grizzly bears of that era were a lot bigger than they are now. If you weren't carrying a knife of considerable length you didn't have much of a chance of survival.

pab1, JasonJ, Enzo and 1 other person like this.
  35. Oldyeller

Oldyeller Tracker

Blog Posts:
    They were using pure lead balls, which is alot softer then modern ammo or a knife.Wild Bill shot a cinnamon bear in the head and the ball bounced off it's skull, it just pissed the bear off and it attacked him, he killed it with his knife.

36. JasonJ

JasonJ Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I really like the size, shape and style of that reproduction L&C knife.

But then I've got a thing for longhunter knives.

That one, given its thickness and robustness is almost certainly for fighting and killing if need be.

We got to remember that these guys would individually carry a knife such as this, a small patch knife and occasionally one or two others as well. The Voyageurs would frequently have three knives on their person on their travels.

Dollars to donuts in a big party and expedition such as Lewis and Clark, they'd have about 50 more packed away somewhere.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
    Enzo, pab1 and Jonah L. Archer like this.
  37. GreyOne

GreyOne Elder Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Grizzly bears are tough, but the black bear was well respected as a dangerous critter to encounter.
    As with any dangerous animal a single well placed as shot can be effective IF the animal is not already excited and adrenaline charged. Once they become excited or angry, they can run or attack for several seconds even after the heart has been shot out.
    Basic question is, when you empty your gun at a charging bear or other dangerous game, hitting it several times, and it is still coming, what do you prefer to have- a Mora or a BK 7?

Men who faced that situation could give a clear answer. HYOH, but don't presume your choice is right for everyone.

Enzo, Jonah L. Archer and pab1 like this.
  38. PMSteve

PMSteve Old Timey Outdoorsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I love the photo of the knife in the first post. Good job!

Lewis and Clark also carried a .50 caliber air rifle for the purpose of harvesting game. These were quite popular for frontiersmen who were worried about running out of gunpowder on long expeditions. Lead balls could stand up to water immersion but gunpowder could not.

Steve

Enzo, Jonah L. Archer and pab1 like this.
  39. Stophel

Stophel Scout

Blog Posts:
    When I read the title of this thread, I was expecting to see this thing:

[​IMG]

Both knives are basically what a modern knifesmith thinks an 1800 period knife was like.... without actually looking at any original knives of the period.

Museums are NOT always the historical authorities that so many want to think they are. You should never take anything a museum states as being historical gospel, especially when they don't back it up UP FRONT with an actual, dateable, documentable archaeological artifact.

PMSteve, Enzo, Medicine maker and 3 others like this.
  40. Medicine maker

Medicine maker Guide

Blog Posts:
    +1

Enzo and Jonah L. Archer like this.