Light weight travel trailers

Discussion in 'Shelter' started by MountainBorn, May 17, 2019 at 12:47 PM.

1. MountainBorn

MountainBorn Browncoat Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I didn't find very many threads on travel trailers, maybe my search fu was lacking.

Does anyone have any advice on light weight travel trailers? I am going to go look at a KZ RV Escape E191BH this weekend. Does anyone have any good/bad things to say about them?

I think it is about the most I would want to tow with my 4Runner (I am putting in a transmission cooler).

The reasoning for this is I need to get my kids out more and they hate the smell of my wall tent. I have 4 person tents but based on my work schedule and availability of places to go relatively close I was thinking something like this would be the ticket.

Thanks in advance for any information or advice.

2. hillst1

hillst1 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have an Aliner Scout and really like it. Pulls great behind my 4Runner and weighs 1450 lbs. Sets up in seconds.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2019 at 10:13 PM
  3. Self Reliantist

Self Reliantist Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    In my opinion that is too much weight & windage to be safely town behind your designated vehicle. Too much tail wagging the dog. Even with a sway dampener and load equalization, passing and being passed by semis will be a “white knuckle experience”, EVERY TIME!
    Im pulling a slightly lighter, but for all intent & purpose the same trailer, with a Jeep JKUR. We’ll be upsizing tow vehicles w/out a doubt when we upsize the trailer.
    My package (loaded & wet) presently weighs in below the maximum rating for the Rubi, but not enough, it’s hard on everything and everyone.
    Passengers and gear in the tow vehicle count towards the max rating so it’s really easy to dance right up close to that number, the closer ya git, the bigger the handful.
    Don’t be ‘That Guy!’ : #2

Norm

Last edited: May 17, 2019 at 1:57 PM
  4. doulos

doulos Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've got a Forest River Rockwood 2109S for the wife and I. I love all the features like tandem axles, walk around bed and the interior layout. You might want to do a YouTube search to see all it offers. :3:

(The Beagle is extra)

IMG_4816.JPG

I did tow this with my Tacoma (had towing package) but if we hit any hills, the Tacoma had to work really hard. This year I bought a Tundra.

IMG_4678.JPG

Last edited: May 17, 2019 at 9:57 PM
  5. MountainBorn

Blog Posts:
    Thank you for the advice. I was planning on getting a sway/equalizer hitch but I can see the wind being an issue especially when I try take it to Wyoming/Colorado.

Maybe one of those folding a frame trailers is the way to go with a 4runner as the hauler.

6. Muskeg_Stomper

Muskeg_Stomper Tiaga & Tundra Wanderer Supporter

Blog Posts:
  7. MountainBorn

Blog Posts:
    That is really nice combo and now I am regretting switching from a pickup to a 4Runner. I just got the 4Runner last year and have a bunch of money in it for a rack/light/gun storage.

8. Ohio_Steve

Ohio_Steve Lost again... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I went small and affordable with our first travel trailer. In reality, it is nothing more than a hard sided tent on wheels with a really comfortable queen sized bed. We still need to go outside to do anything. But stealth camping in a parking lot is easy, and setup can be as quick as putting the 4Runner in park, and going to bed.

Hiker Trailer 5X8 Road Deluxe
    IMG_3907-XL.jpg

IMG_3912-XL.jpg

DSC_4091-XL.jpg

DSC_4094-XL.jpg

DSC_4104-XL.jpg

9. MountainBorn

Blog Posts:
    I like that! I better do some more homework on options before I get too deep. It might be a little cozy when the kids get a little bigger but that might be the right size to get started.

10. MountainBorn

Blog Posts:
    I think an rpod 172 would be about perfect. Light enough for the 4Runner, with bunk beds for the kids. Thanks, I am going to look into one.

11. TomC

TomC Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    @MountainBorn One VERY important question to ask is, "Will we survive a rainy week inside of this thing?".

dreamin, Outdoor Time, doulos and 4 others like this.
  12. Forestree

Forestree Treeforest Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I’ve had my eye on Casita trailers for a number of years. They are smallish and definitely not for taller folks, but always thought that it’d work perfectly for what I would want. Hopefully they’ll still be in business when I retire and start traveling. Www.casitatraveltrailers.com Check’em out

13. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Where's @One Legged Josh when you need him?. He's got a cool teardrop trailer he needs to show off again. Go find his build thread too.

14. kisatchieman

kisatchieman Scout

Blog Posts:
    Here's my 2016 Coachmen Apex Nano. 19' and weighs about 4,500 lbs. I camp alone with it, but I could probably sleep another adult or a couple of kids. Has an outside kitchen in the rear for tailgatin'. My Tundra pulls it like there's nothing back there. Corney Lake camping 5-8-18 014.JPG

15. geologist2

geologist2 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    20190311_134908.jpg 20180613_114458.jpg
    We pull a Turtleback trailer behind our 4runner with no problem.

16. doulos

Blog Posts:
    Before you buy, please be sure to understand your vehicles tow rating and hitch weight and the trailers weights empty and loaded. The weight of the people and stuff in your tow vehicle count too! You'll probably need more than an transmission cooler. You need a brake controller and possibly a couple other things depending on how your vehicle is set up. I'd really recommend a YouTube search to help you understand why you need to not exceed 75% of your vehicles tow capacity etc as well as calculating GVWR. NEVER believe anyone who says "your vehicle can tow this" unless you actually know how to determine that for yourself. My 2109s unloaded weight is about 4200 lbs and I was told my Tacoma could tow it with it's tow package and weight distribution hitch but, like I said, it really had to work hard on even modest hills. Toyotas are beast but it sure wouldn't have been long before it needed repairs if I kept pushing it to the limit and seriously, it was on the edge of being unsafe. I'd hate to see you have that issue and stress... it takes a lot of the fun out of the trip. Even with an R-Pod you need to have GVWR/Tow capacity et al under your belt.
    Enjoy your adventure!

JMHO, doulos

Last edited: May 17, 2019 at 10:35 PM
  17. crewhead05

crewhead05 caffeine, nicotine, knives and nature. Lifetime Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  18. MountainBorn

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the advice! The 4runner has a 500lb tongue weight and 5k tow max. The rpod 176 has a 280lb tongue weight and a dry weight of 2700.

I filled out the spreadsheet from the video and it looks good. I had to guess the gcvwr so I used the curb weight plus the max towing weight and his calculations were green.

I will still get the weight distributing hitch though. Going to go look at one this weekend.

Last edited: May 17, 2019 at 11:11 PM
    bacpacjac, Outdoor Time and doulos like this.
  19. MountainBorn

Blog Posts:
    I was looking at those pretty seriously last fall but with all the rain here, I don’t really have a place with enough space to set it up to dry out properly.

20. doulos

Blog Posts:
    Awesome! Now, after you get your trailer, I have so many cool things for you to spend your money on! :18:

21. Wasp

Wasp Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    What are you going to do when "your kids hate the smell of your light weight travel trailer" and you have all that money invested?

22. MountainBorn

Blog Posts:
    Contemplate my life choices that brought me to that point in time and then use it for hunting camp.

dreamin, JohnP, bacpacjac and 3 others like this.
  23. Wasp

Wasp Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    :) Just helping you assess the situation.

I love the idea of the teardrops or some of the small pull behinds above.

We had a popup as a kid and dad sold it.

24. longcruise

longcruise Hobbyist Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    A pop up is a good option. I have owned two of them continuously over the past 44 years and have never regretted the choice. When my two kids were growing up the wife, the kids and I were gone just about every weekend. The kids grew up in those campers.

Easy to tow, low profile and will get into some places where a travel trailer won't go. First one was a Jayco, second (which I still have and use) is a Coleman. If I were shopping for a new one I'd look at the Rockwood/Flagstaff models.

bacpacjac and MountainBorn like this.
  25. MountainBorn

Blog Posts:
    If I lived in a drier climate a popup or one of the tent type small trailers would definitely be the way to go. Unfortunately my garage isn’t large enough to park one in to setup and dry out.

bacpacjac and Turtle Creek like this.
  26. John from Alberta

John from Alberta Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    A few years ago my wife and I bought an old, very used late ‘70s model 17 foot travel trailer and completely gutted it. We basically just wanted a hard wall tent with a little more sound insulation so our daughter could go to sleep while we stayed out with friends by the fire. We ended up stripping it to the bones and just putting in a platform for a king sized bed in one end and a bunk in the other end. It weighs next to nothing, stores all of our camping gear, is ready to go whenever we are and is easily towed by our 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe. If you’re willing to put some time and elbow grease in, this is a super economical way to go. I think we spent about $2000 CAD all in, including the cost of the trailer and reno supplies.

27. Pinelogcreek

Pinelogcreek Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    If you’ve been tent camping consider this, buy a box trailer, get a porta potty and a couple cots. Add a fantastic fan and your in business. Big plus is you have a cargo trailer to use otherwise. You can break even on the cargo trailer the camper you will loose money on..... I have three times so far and that’s the end for me. Check out tntt online for ideas. Honest advice you can outfit one with solar and everything very cheap.

MountainBorn likes this.
  28. Roamer

Roamer Guide

Blog Posts:
    Wife & I lived out of this little 13 ft. Scamp for half a year. They're great trailers, especially in a wet climate. Lightweight, too. I'd recommend the 16-footer if you're cohabiting with a couple kids.

[​IMG]

29. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    You have any pics? I am thinking about doing something just like that.