Lightweight Backpacking Take Down Bucksaw

Discussion in 'Backpacking' started by UAHiker, May 19, 2017.

1. UAHiker

UAHiker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've been playing around with a light weight/ultra light weight bucksaw to bring on backpacking trips. Here's what i've gone up with, it weighs 4.5oz :) just working on way of protecting the teeth of the saw. Btw it cuts really well the blade is 21" L and can cut up to 6" diameter logs

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    Fretful7, OldSoul, Early Man and 12 others like this.
  2. Vydor

Vydor Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Nice. You can use some old garden hose over the blade if all else fails.

3. rsnurkle

rsnurkle Supporter Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Are those just dowels? If so, may I ask what thickness, and how you've seated the cross bar into the two handles?

ETA: I have a 24" blade I want to build a packable frame for.

OldSoul and UAHiker like this.
  4. Keithturkjr

Keithturkjr Tracker

Blog Posts:
    At walmart they sell a super cheap bow saw that has a little plastic peice that clips on to the blade and covers the teeth. I own that el cheapo and its pretty decent, it just doesnt fold down.

So maybe this el cheapo bow saw could be a parts base for making these buck saws? The blade is pretty decent.

Either way, this looks like it could make for a good DIY thread.

5. xrayit

xrayit Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have used this grommet edging in the past, works pretty well. Available on amazon at reasonable price.

Link: http://a.co/8NSHZOS

Scotchmon, UAHiker and rsnurkle like this.
  6. UAHiker

Blog Posts:
    your correct! the uprights are 5/8" dowels and the center is 3/8" for the cross bar seating i used a forstner bit to drill a hole 5/16" deep. If you like i can put together a short tutorial :) I originally made it with 1/2" dowels but one of the uprights snapped and it was too wobbly so i strengthened it up a bit and it worked! the entire thing cost me around $8 and i have enough dowel left over to make another frame if needed. I have access to cheap bahco blades so that's what i'm using.

i also have 24" blades as well that i could adapt the design for but i was going for lightweight so i'm saving my 24" for a heavier duty version that i'm making using honey locust i got from a member here

Scotchmon and rsnurkle like this.
  7. UAHiker

Blog Posts:
    nice, when i was looking at your link i saw this one and it's cheaper and should work just as well

http://a.co/bsYxVlt

8. Red Wing

Red Wing Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Thata righteous. LOT of bang for your buck there both weight in pack and on wallet. Well played Sir

Scotchmon, UAHiker and rsnurkle like this.
  9. UAHiker

Blog Posts:
    i think you can get el cheapo blades from lowes and ace hardware for around $4 that also come with the plastic piece as a protector. may pick one up just for the plastic. nice idea though

Scotchmon, rsnurkle and Keithturkjr like this.
  10. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Guide

Blog Posts:
    This is a neat project, I've thought of playing around with bow saw blades to see how light and simple I can keep one. I should have some time for projects soon so I guess I will have to give this a go. As for storage I understand that the blade can be coiled up. You might be able to cut the bottom out of a plastic container or just find one with short side walls to stow the blade.

Scotchmon, rsnurkle and UAHiker like this.
  11. UAHiker

Blog Posts:
    i've already found out you have to be careful when it's coiled up..... i did it once and it "sprang" out at me and luckily completely missed me otherwise it could have been bad! i like the idea though

12. Scotchmon

Scotchmon Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    IMG_1410.JPG I made this one out of an old hockey stick, broom handle, some cable, and a Menards replacement blade. The cross piece has tenon cuts on the ends. Once the cable is tightened the saw is rock solid, and cuts very well.
    Though I have not done it yet, I am thinking about cutting shallow kerfs in the sides to accommodate the saw blade when it is broken down.

UAHiker and rsnurkle like this.
  13. Bobsdock

Bobsdock Scout

Blog Posts:
    Nice saw bro. I've been using a POS folding saw.

Scotchmon and UAHiker like this.
  14. Early Man

Early Man Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:

If you want lighter weight yet I saw something made of aluminum somewhere that probably is. The design was Asymetrical. The largest diameter alloy tube was the hand grip. The next largest fit inside it, and was large enough to contain the saw blade and the cross bar, 2 hairclip pins (not really for hair that lock the blade on) and the string and twisting stick. I like wood too. :) Some of these saws are smaller and are called fret saws. Some of these are seriously fancy. If money was no object i could 'collect' fret saws to just hang on a wall.

Scotchmon and UAHiker like this.
  15. UAHiker

Blog Posts:
    i saw a similar saw to the one i made that i actually got the idea from but it's made from AL and he's charging $60 for it for 15" blade and 3.8-4oz. i originally was thinking getting some AL as well and copying his design or if i really wanted to go ultra light weight go carbon fiber rods!

great idea on the asymmetrical design as well. i've also seen designs from PVC where a guy used a coupling and dowel rod to contain everything into 1 long stick, so may ways to skin a cat :)

Early Man likes this.
  16. Early Man

Early Man Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I could tell you are into building some of your gear, so I just mentioned something I had seen. I have been thinking on a saw, but can't narrow what I want down. I won't use a saw to cut fire wood in a camp setting. What I would use there is sticks I can reak by hand maybe over my knee. Anything I can't break I would use would go into the fire long, or maybe get burned in 1/2. I am noted to be a little lazy.

It's not like it has to fit a steel box ya know. So my wants are more bases on chaga hunting which either needs to be pried off a tree or sawn off a tree. That stuff is hard as rocks. it's usually out of my reach and at my present age falling more than 4 feet isn't any fun.

UAHiker likes this.