Little bushcraft knife?

Discussion in 'Gear Deals' started by USMCPOP, May 15, 2017.

1. USMCPOP

USMCPOP Tracker

Blog Posts:
    If anyone needs what amounts to a baby butcher knife, this little Russell Green River 10311 (#2212) "sheath knife" is a fair deal for $10 delivered. Odd thing is that this seller will only sell 1 item, qty. 1 every 10 days. They have other knives as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/162200276559?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

http://www.dexterrussellcutlery.com/2212-dexter-traditional-4-1-2-sheath-knife/

It's small - 4.5" blade and not quite 4" long unfinished beechwood handle. Appears to be made from 3/32" stock, wide enough to have some stiffness. Carbon steel, full flat grind.

[​IMG]

I smoothed up the handle on mine and melted in some Sno-Seal wax waterproofing (3 coats). The Beech darkened up nicely. It's cute.

2. mjh

mjh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I bought a couple of blanks a while back and put some walnut scales on them, with some sheaths I'll be taking to our local traditional archery shoot this summer and see if someone like them well enough to buy them from me....classic ol time blades...

3. highlander

highlander Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Great little utility knife. I have four Dexter Russell knives...all work great. I gave a lot more than $10 for the too. That is a heck of a deal there.

4. WhisperInThePine

WhisperInThePine I bring nothing to the table Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Classic knife design.

5. TAHAWK

TAHAWK Scout

Blog Posts:
    Last edited: May 21, 2017 at 7:14 PM
    piney likes this.
  6. USMCPOP

USMCPOP Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have one around here somewhere that I bought over 40 years ago. Maybe it's time to use it. :)

highlander likes this.
  7. TAHAWK

TAHAWK Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have the pointer one - "Fish Knife" - that I have used since it was given to me in 1959. Replaced the handle slabs with some fancy walnut in 1964. If what you want to do is cut, it cuts just fine, thank you. The patina and smoothed-down handle are souvenirs of happy times.

That didn't stop me from buying sharps that I like - but know I don't need - a half dozen on this forum. :4:

highlander and happywanderer like this.
  8. USMCPOP

USMCPOP Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'm thinking that the pointy one I got years ago might be the DEXSTEEL stainless. I was always partial to carbon, though my old Buck 102 woodsman in 440C is a nice knife.

highlander likes this.