LL Bean merino wool hoodie

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Broke, Aug 25, 2018.

1. Broke

Broke I found my hat! Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    So, I ordered one of these, it's a journey.

Saw an ad from mass drop about a black 100%merino wool hoodie for $159.00
    I was mere moments away from pulling the trigger, I love merino wool! Wasnt an option for a tall size though, and lets face it, I'm long...
    I was talking to my bride about it, it's a garment I can use for my job, layering is a key to being a freight RR conductor. She didnt say no... so... she did suggest looking at other vendors, so I did! Yeah, this guy is trainable, take note! Did a bit of the old search n click, found LL Bean had a similar product, available in XLT, and in olive drab/green! What?
    And, and, and, 25% off!

So I ordered a hoodie, and a pack (I have issues, yes I know, not getting help, moving on).
    Today it arrived!

HOLY FECAL MATTER!!!

this garment is amazing! It is soooooo soft! Soooooo comfy!
    It is light, breathable, the hood is perfect for occupational use, and did I mention how just down right comfortable it is?
    So, occupational use, if you understand this, well then trust that it's a perfect garment for use by the working class. If you dont understand this let me explain, in the environment I work in you, per the rule book, you must expect movement on any track at any time in any direction. This rule is written in blood, as recently as 3 years ago when a coworker was killed by a cut of cars that struck him from behind.
    So, you cant, per the rules, have a hood that extends past the face. This hoodie has that. No cinch cords, it's just the way it sits.
    Long term, I cant speak to this garments toughness, cant speak to its longevity, but initial comfort, fit, and value short term it is on point!
    [​IMG]

cek, Redwalker, Zunga and 17 others like this.
  2. Ptpalpha

Ptpalpha Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    That looks awesome and comfy, but that expression on your face says...
    c8dx32.jpg

Zunga, blind & lost, Harper and 5 others like this.
  3. Leshy_apprentice

Leshy_apprentice Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've picked up one of those at Goodwill, and my girlfriend bought one direct from LL Bean! They are really nice, and I'm sure you'll enjoy yours for many years to come!

4. Glock Holiday

Glock Holiday Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thank you very much for the review. I was really wanting one last winter but never pulled the trigger.
    LUCKY :35:

FIELDCRAFTLTC, Broke and Winterhorse like this.
  5. Leshy_apprentice

Leshy_apprentice Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yes, I have moved to Maine so there is a lot of great LL Bean that shows up at Goodwill for a steal! I see quality gear and field clothes frequently! So much that I'm "spoiled" and can be slective. I am lucky in that way. Lots of locals buy it from LL Bean (a Maine company) and it eventually ends up at Goodwill. I believe LL Bean also donates a substantial amount because lots of the LL Bean stuff I see at Goodwill still has the store tags on it, either from retail or their outlet store. Some of the stuff they donate may be new but discontinued, like new but returned, or irregular in some way...but when you're getting $100-$300 dollar items for $6-$20...well, you don't complain even it it was used once on a camping trip an then returned for a refund by someone even though it is perfectly good. I worked at an outdoors retailer and you'd be surprised how many people pull that scam!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
    blind & lost, Ptpalpha, Broke and 2 others like this.
  6. Luzster

Luzster Of course your opinion matters, just not to me... Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Well.... the next time you are romping thru your local goodwill and see some LL wool shirts/jackets/hoodies, in the size of XL for $6-20 let me know and I'll buy 'em from ya!!

blind & lost and Broke like this.
  7. Leshy_apprentice

Leshy_apprentice Scout

Blog Posts:

You're not the first who has said that! But I'm not a paid member here, so I can't offer sales. Maybe it would be worth it, though...if I buy up all the good stuff, even if it isn't my size or something I don't "need" it could find a good home through this forum.

JonM, Luzster and Broke like this.
  8. Luzster

Luzster Of course your opinion matters, just not to me... Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Unlike Maine.... its damn near impossible to find wool anything here in FL. Either everyone hords their wool stuff or no one has wool stuff down here. Usually the only wool stuff you'll find are Army blankets at the surplus stores that charge you an arm and a kidney for.

9. Broke

Broke I found my hat! Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I wore my hoodie last night, it was cool inomaha when I got off the train, too cool for a t shirt comfortably, this hoodie is love!

Yohawk and GoKartz like this.
  10. Yohawk

Yohawk Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Ok, you talked me in to it.....let go of my arm! Got a 25% off email at Bean, so one is on the way. Don't know if I can match that selfie!

Broke likes this.