1. Due to the amount of SPAM from foreign countries lately, we have made the decision to manually approve all new members. While we regret that this must be done and the added time that it will take for new members to be approved, it is necessary at this time. We hope to have legitimate new members approved in a timely manner, no longer than a couple of hours. If the Administrators are online at the time, it can be as soon as a couple of minutes. Thank you for your patience.
    Dismiss Notice

LL Bean's new Continental Rucksack is available

Discussion in 'Packs, Bags & Pouches' started by El Duderino, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Kona9

Kona9 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    How many nights? Doesn't even looked that stuffed.

2. SkyIslander

SkyIslander Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I'll post a load-out pic soon ...

3. SkyIslander

SkyIslander Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Here is my overnight load-out. Fills up about 85% of the ruck, still room for a water bladder & food bag (not pictured)
    [​IMG]

4. Stophel

Stophel Scout

Blog Posts:
    yay! Just got mine! It looks like a VERY well made pack. And it actually FITS my enormity... which is a miracle in and of itself. The "waist belt" goes around my stomach, not my waist, which is fine, it lets me carry my pistol and axe on my belt. Not as capacious as my "mountain rucksack" type frame pack, but has bigger external pockets. A pretty nice size. Of course, the color is not "khaki", but rather "coyote brown" with loden green trim, which is fine by me. ;) The straps on the bottom are not really "bedroll straps", unfortunately, but just cinch straps. They're not long enough to really get something tucked in there... I'll see if I can remedy that. I have a new Thermarest pad and "wings" for my hammock that I want to attach on here somehow...

LLBean 001_800x597.jpg

LLBeanMe_448x600.jpg

I'm gonna pack it up and kinda wear it around for a bit to see how it does. I may take it with me next week, my hopes are that I'll get to go bum around Daniel Boone N.F. for a while.

5. Charlie Lima

Charlie Lima Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Don't give up on your outdoor modeling dreams.
    CL

blind & lost likes this.
  6. Crusher0032

Crusher0032 Appalachian Arthfael Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've been using mine daily for work and family activities since last Friday, and am incredibly satisfied this pack. The lining inside makes it easy to fill the pockets full and pull items out. I'm 6'3" and 240 lbs and it fits me just fine. I purchased the straps linked earlier and this thread to extend the bottom lashing straps and they fit it like they were made for it. I was on the fence about buying this pack, and I'm so glad that I did.

SoreFeet likes this.
  7. Stophel

Stophel Scout

Blog Posts:
    I missed seeing the strap extenders before, now I have some ordered. ;)

Turtle Creek likes this.
  8. Kona9

Blog Posts:
    I was just about to recommend them for you. I got mine from Amazon. They are black, but other than that they do the job.

SoreFeet and Huey like this.
  9. Stophel

Stophel Scout

Blog Posts:
    Until I get the straps, I'll try lashing my pad to the bottom with leather strings. I'd do it right now, but I just ate a big plate of spaghetti, and I don't wanna move... :D

SoreFeet likes this.
  10. LongChinJon

LongChinJon Scout

Blog Posts:
    Carries mine on vacation and did a fair amount of walking. It was about as comfortable as any pack could be with the weight on the shoulders.
    I love this pack:
    The back padding is comfortable, and it adds enough rigidity to keep the pack open.
    The drawstring opening is big enough to view the entire inside.
    The side pockets each hold a one-liter Nalgene - size bottle or two stainless 27-oz bottles.
    The buckles have a lot of "snap" to them, if that makes sense.

I wish the lid had a pouch built in, but that's purely a personal thing.

For the money, I am VERY happy with this pack.
    PS: I didn't want to be mistaken for a deer (just in case I run across the wrong person in the woods), so I got it in gray.

SoreFeet and Mr. Tettnanger like this.
  11. Stophel

Stophel Scout

Blog Posts:
    Here's my LL Bean rucksack packed TIGHT. 24.4 pounds, according to the bathroom scale. It's obviously not intended for 2-3+ nights out in the woods, but it can certainly be done by hooking some of your bulkier stuff onto the outside of the pack. It's amazing how much crap is required just to sleep semi-comfortably! :D I don't need hardly any of this stuff just to play in the woods.

LLBeanpack 001_800x597.jpg

A change of clothes, hammock, tarp, straps, a bit of rope, Thermarest pad and ENO "wings", wool blanket, fleece blanket, folding saw, FAK, Esbit stove and tabs, "housewife", flint and steel, small cheap binoculars, flashlights, camera, and batteries, SS wide mouth water bottle, rain poncho, T.P. and EZ Towels, etc. No real room for food, except for a few small things stuffed here and there. I have a gas mask bag that I can wear on my left side that I can carry my food in. I may or may not take it this week for a few days in the Red River Gorge area. I may stick with my rather more capacious "mountain rucksack" type "Official Camping Equipment" frame pack.

Of course, in another month, I won't need any of the blanket and pad stuff, it'll be so HOT, but I almost froze the weekend before last, so better safe than sorry.

12. Crusher0032

Crusher0032 Appalachian Arthfael Supporter

Blog Posts:
    With a pack so similar to my beloved/hated Alice pack, it's really strange not to have have a lid pocket to me also. That's the only thing I would change about this pack.

I talked to my wife about making a diy pocket pouch similar to a Kifaru pull-out pouch the size and shape of the lid with Velcro on the back. We are going to put the zipper on the side of the pouch, so all you have to do is unsnap the lid and unzip the side of the pouch to get in it. Velcroing it to the lid makes it removable if need be also which will be nice if I want to take it out to throw in a cargo pocket or haversack for a hike. If it comes out like I think, it'll be almost identical to an Alice lid only with a zipper instead of the Velcro like the Army ones have, while not taking up room in the main part of the pack. I'll post pics when we finish it, she just has to get a couple orders done before we start on it (she makes and sells weighted blankets so that stuff comes first)

mainewoods, Huey and LongChinJon like this.
  13. LongChinJon

LongChinJon Scout

Blog Posts:
    Sounds like a great idea. I would enjoy seeing the finished product.

14. ScoutSmith1911

ScoutSmith1911 Supporter Supporter Banned

Blog Posts:
    I finally got out and used my pack this weekend and loved it. I have a few things I want to rearrange. But overall a great pack. I do want to put extensions on the bottom lashing. Anyone know of a place to get matching? (I have the khaki bag) I also spent a lot of time in rain this weekend. Got me thinking a rain cover might be nice... any suggestions?

15. tobiism

tobiism Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    So far I love it. Carried it around this weekend and I was able to pack just enough stuff in it. The only thing I'm not super excited about is the lashing points for an axe above the side pockets will not stay tight. You can't really tighten them down effectively enough to hold something in place. That's a bummer. Maybe it just needs different clips on the webbing.

NWPrimate likes this.
  16. NWPrimate

NWPrimate Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I use rubber bands on any sliding buckle that doesn't stay tight. You could try ranger bands for even more security, but even regular rubber bands hold up great and keep every snug.

The idea isn't that the rubber band is holding the straps, but instead is acting kind of like a gasket and jamming up the gap in the buckle so the fabric doesn't slide through easily.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I actually discovered this on accident when I was looking for a handy place to put a few rubber bands, which are nice for keeping your pant legs up during shallow river crossings. I noticed that the pack straps stopped sliding and have been using them like this ever since.

It's sort of a half measure compared with swapping clips but it works well.

17. vyking

vyking Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I would love one, but I'm so broad of shoulders (and gut) that I havnt found a pack in years that I can get out of much less into.

18. tobiism

Blog Posts:
    That is a fantastic idea and I will have to try it. Thank you so much!

NWPrimate likes this.
  19. Stophel

Stophel Scout

Blog Posts:
    I am HUGE (nearly Hoss Cartwright proportions) and it actually fits me fairly well. I would really like for the chest strap to be lower... but it will do. It's much better than most packs, where the "sternum strap" is choking me. You can see my green-shirted enormity with the pack on above.

I like the pack, BUT, I probably won't use it much. Reason 1, it's not very big. I would like for it to be just a LITTLE bit bigger, and it would make all the difference. The pockets are HUGE and they're great, but I would really like the main compartment to be bigger. Reason 2, and the most important one, it's not a frame pack. Of course, it lays against your back and it's H O T. It's just too hot here to wear it much. I've been spoiled by my frame pack, which doesn't really even touch my back except at the "kidney pad". So much more comfortable.

I've thought about getting one of the plastic mesh car seat things and cutting it to fit the front of the pack (like a Volkswagen, front means front) to go against my back for ventilation, but it hasn't been high on my list of priorities lately.

vyking likes this.
  20. Harper

Harper Guide

Blog Posts:
    I posted this in another thread and thought that I would also mirror it here:

As I said above, I have this pack in all leather. It's solid and very nice looking.

With all the good things that have been said on the site, I decided to get the Cordura model for the humid summer and as one I don't mind abusing.

I just got it in today. I like the pack a lot. Compared to the leather ruck, it seems a little smaller dimensionally. The leather straps/brass buckles are more robust than the plastic buckles.

As some others have pointed out:

1. The color has more of a brownish hue than a true khaki. Personally, I like it better.

2. The bottom straps are more of a cinch strap than a bedroll strap. Bean should modifiy this in the next round.

3. The little buckles concern me a little, but Bean has a lifetime guarantee so, no worry.

4. I like the computer/hydration bladder pocket.

5. The side pockets fit my 40 oz. Kleen Kanteen.

Now, through 8/27/27, they are 20% off and in stock.

Coupon Code: KIDS20

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  21. Harper

Harper Guide

Blog Posts:
    Some more observations:

6. The side pockets also fit my complete Pathfinder Canteen Cook Kit (including cup and stove) with room left over. The USGI kit is smaller, so no problem there.

7. My 64 oz. Kleen Kanteen kind of fits. The bottle sits in the pocket but the lid projects above the top of the pocket. The top partially closes. It would keep the bottle in, but it would let in rain, snow, etc. The bottle sits primarily in the outside pocket--only about 1/8 of it projects into the main pack compartment.

8. I wish the grab handle was more robust. I'm sure it's fine for the load that is carried by this pack. But, for ergonomic reasons, I wish it was bigger. They should double up on the webbing used.

9. A map pocket under the top flat would be a good addition.

Again, I'm very pleased with this pack.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
    LongChinJon, Huey, SoreFeet and 2 others like this.
  22. Stlsomeone

Stlsomeone Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    All,

Great reviews. I'm considering a new cross purpose pack and am wondering whether the canvas or nylon pack would work:

1. A primary pack for carrying laptop, books, documents to work
    2. An overnight bag for flying that would carry enough for two days of clothes.
    3. A hiking backpack
    4. Pushing it...a pack for overnight camping going ultralight.

Which would people purchase?

23. tobiism

Blog Posts:
    I purchased the nylon model for two through four and it works great so far. Can't see why it wouldn't accomplish one just as well!

Harper likes this.
  24. Jay Jay Edlin

Jay Jay Edlin Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Does anyone have the black model. I was wondering what it looks like.

25. LongChinJon

LongChinJon Scout

Blog Posts:
    Nope. Got the gray. Maybe someone else will see this and chime in.

26. Prairiewolf

Prairiewolf Guide

Blog Posts:
    I think I'm OK then if I don't have to include shoulder bags.

27. ralphtt

ralphtt Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I also need to order strap extenders for this pack. Amazon offers them in both regular (7.5" to 11") and X-Long (10.5" to 16"). Which size is recommended?

28. Kona9

Blog Posts:
    I have these:
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004N623UW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Regular size. Haven't really needed to use them. Bought them in case I wanted to strap a wool blanket to the bottom which the regular size would be fine for. Figure out if you would need the extra 5" the x-long provide. I leave mine on permanently as they don't really hang down much with the straps tightened up. I might do otherwise if they were longer though.

Harper likes this.