1. Due to the amount of SPAM from foreign countries lately, we have made the decision to manually approve all new members. While we regret that this must be done and the added time that it will take for new members to be approved, it is necessary at this time. We hope to have legitimate new members approved in a timely manner, no longer than a couple of hours. If the Administrators are online at the time, it can be as soon as a couple of minutes. Thank you for your patience.
    Dismiss Notice

Locating knapping materials

Discussion in 'Primitive Tools' started by Ian_Hanson, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Ian_Hanson

Ian_Hanson Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hi all,

Quick intro i am a graduate student studying archaeology in central Minnesota and although i should know this better than i do does anyone know of any good areas to source knappable rock in the state?
    Ive ordered stuff online and thats all well an good but i would rather save a few bucks and find it myself.

Minnesota is littered with glacial till so i know cobbles can be found just about anywhere and knife lake in the boundary waters has some decent outcrops but thats a bit of a trip from where im at. Sorry for the long post but if anyone has any advice i am happy to hear it. Thanks!

2. DavidJAFO

DavidJAFO Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are."
    CivilizationDropout likes this.
  3. Ian_Hanson

Ian_Hanson Tracker

Blog Posts:
  4. TWill

TWill Guide

Blog Posts:
    You could use alternate materials like toilet lids or pieces from broken stoneware. While Redwing pottery is collectible they also used to make things like stoneware sewer or field tile and other heavy boring items. A lot of that stuff is laying out there in ditches and back edges of farms. Keep an open mind and scour the solid waste dumps.

Agates in big enough sizes to make points and knives from would have a lot of value just as is. Good agates with nice banding as big as your fist fetch a nice price.

5. CivilizationDropout

CivilizationDropout -MOA #17-MYOG #71- Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    DavidJAFO likes this.