Lock security - have you evaluated yours?

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by Tangotag, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Tangotag

Tangotag Field Gear Junkie Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I recently needed to upgrade a few locks. That spurred a thought about long ago, working as a Police officer in a small department where we would do vehicle unlocks after having a signed waiver. Back then I had picked up a pick set for my own curiosity. Surprisingly with little practice I could open every lock I had. In my State, possession of picks, bump keys, pick guns, jimbs, etc is not illegal. If one were committing a crime, possession would be an enhancement and aggravate sentencing. As long as I stick to my own property it's good to go.
    I really wanted to try out bump key and a snap gun. So I made a few orders and increased my gear and training locks. Lately, I'm working on increasing security pins in my locks.
    Anyone else jumped into this pit?

IMG_5206.JPG

DavidJAFO, perrymk, Wasp and 19 others like this.
  2. PACoureurDuBois

PACoureurDuBois Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have a set of bump keys from when I worked EMS. (Supervisors weren't exactly cool with it, but gave me the blind eye.) I think I might have used them half a dozen times. They are surprisingly effective. I feel like they should almost be regulated lol.

3. Unistat76

Unistat76 Nerd Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Yes, but not the degree you have. My dad actually was who got me into it. As a millwright he was interested in all things mechanical. He made me my first set of lock picks.

DirtmanDave, PaPa K, Gary V and 3 others like this.
  4. Tangotag

Blog Posts:
    One thing I'll say about bump keys. If you look at people's index finger and you see black streaks in the nail. Then you know they are accustom to seeing stars by driving their bump hammer on that finger frequently. I may or may not have first hand experience with this.:16:

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  5. J. Pierce

J. Pierce Perpetually Off Topic, Sorry. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've messed with picks.
    I work in maintenance, so I thought it would be handy to be able to pick locks to remove them at work.
    I've had good luck picking padlocks at home, but at work I still just cut them off anyway..... Lol
    So it was a short lived interest for me.
    It's still fascinating though, bitter cold winter temperatures will probably reinvigorate my interest again.

6. Tangotag

Blog Posts:
    @J. Pierce my wife no longer gives me funny looks as I grab a bunch of locks, a pick, and tension bar while we watch her show for quality time.;)
    I work a lock by feel, now. That's why padlocks are really handy. I also have training locks that I can also re-key for more complexity in the lock. Gotta keep the mind fresh with tougher challenges. Some locks that used to take 45 minutes are now a few minutes. My wife teases me at how easy it's done on TV and movies and how terrible I must be at it.

DirtmanDave, ExAF1N1, Gary V and 3 others like this.
  7. mtngoat

mtngoat Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have a set of Southord picks that sit on my desk at work next to several different locks. I play with them during down time. I can open some in seconds and some in minutes, but it’s all in fun.

8. icemancometh

icemancometh Stuck in Suburbia Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I work as a locksmith/safe technician. Some locks are a lot easier to pick than others. I can usually pick a Kwikset lock in seconds. Locks with mushroom pins are quite a bit more difficult for me. Didn't see a plug spinner in the OP. You may want to invest in one if you dont have one.

9. Huey

Huey The Lurker Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Been a hobby for about 20years for me and being in LE too it has came in handy more than a few times. +1 about a plug spinner, or you can make one out of a mouse trap.

I added up my tools before and came to about $3,500, but a simple set will do for playing around.

Another tip... hit the junk yard for door locks, ignitions to practice with, and wiper blade inserts to make your own tension wrenchs. Always walked out with that stuff for free because they have no idea what to charge.

Harper, DirtmanDave, ExAF1N1 and 3 others like this.
  10. RavenLoon

RavenLoon axology student Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I haven't done anything like that but related to it I noticed a couple years ago someone was unlocking my gate at my property and driving in and out. The gate just had a common Master lock on it. No one I know has a key except me. I figured someone was picking it. I switched to a larger Schlage lock with a recessed key entry and the trespassing stopped. The Schlage must have been too tough to pick by this person although it's probably not for an expert lock picker.

11. Gary V

Gary V Scout

Blog Posts:
    When i was a kid i figured out how to pick a door lock with a small screwdriver and a stiff wire. I did it that one time just to see if I could and it wasn't very hard to do. Maybe that's why I have all my doors and windows on an alarm system (self installed). I have deadbolts everywhere too.

DirtmanDave and Tangotag like this.
  12. TAHAWK

TAHAWK Guide

Blog Posts:
    My dogs have checked the locks and pronounce them adequate in light of them and 12 ga.:46:

Wasp, DirtmanDave, KFF and 2 others like this.
  13. 66drifter

66drifter Guide

Blog Posts:
    locks only deter the honest/semi honest

the real crooks WILL get past them one way or another

just having a quality padlock in place will usually cause the opportunist to goto the next target

a small canister of liquid nitrogen and a hammer will defete most common locks

a 24"+ pair of bolt cutters will cut the bale on most padlocks and links on most common chain used for security purposes

that being said... i buy my Master locks by the box(several boxes w/ different bale lengths) all keyed alike to reduce the number of keys on my ring

the dedicated criminals WILL DEFETE most anything the common individual will have in place if they want your stuff

just my 2¢ worth this evening

DirtmanDave, Tangotag and ExAF1N1 like this.
  14. TAHAWK

TAHAWK Guide

Blog Posts:
    That metallic sound you hear is dog tags - and 247 pounds of Rott. Survivors are subject to #4 Buck.

15. ExAF1N1

ExAF1N1 Purveyor of sharps and savory burnables. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've been meaning to go down this rabbit hole as well, like I don't have enough of them already!

In middle school years ago, my best friend at the time got his grandpa's locksmith stuff including a full set of picks and a lock-aid gun after his grandpa died. We were horrible with the picks, but we played with that lock gun for hours. Used it on doors at my and his houses, garages, every padlock we could get our hands on.

One security tip I picked up in my travels is use combination locks and always set them to zero when you lock them. Then you know if they've been fiddled with and whoever trys to open it has to start from nothing.

Great thread!

DirtmanDave, LongChinJon and Tangotag like this.
  16. Tangotag

Blog Posts:
    I did dump usage of all Master locks after getting back into lock research.
    Pretty much all heavily Master locks are worthless.

17. marbleman

marbleman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I raked some pins when I was young, have always been interested in the concept. Unfortunately, I lost all my gear in that horrible boating accident.

Years/decades later, it's curious that I was interested in testing 'security' on physical locks, now I am interested in testing 'security' on virtual locks/networks/PCs.

18. ExAF1N1

Blog Posts:
    If I could get my hands on the combination locks I used in the service... Those were a crowbar with a combination dial on them. And you could change/reset them, which they were regularly. Sure you need special tools to do the reset though. And I'm pretty sure neither ever comes up as surplus, they get destroyed most likely.

DirtmanDave and Tangotag like this.
  19. 1911srule

1911srule Scout

Blog Posts:
    Definitely , we no longer use cheap padlocks here. Also look at the hasps they are used on. Last year I came outside going to work one morning. The garage man door was open, which is padlocked at night. The hasp pin was sawed off at the top with either a file or hacksaw blade. Lock was totally bypassed. I solved that weak point by welding the pin at top and bottom. The main garage door is bolted to th rail also. The same suspect had previously pushed in the center of the door crating a gap. Then inserted a coat hanger to grab the release. He ruined the door but we were one step ahead as it was bolted. We were lucky in dealing with a burglar in training. He finally did 2 years in prison for heroin sales. Those two years were peaceful.
    If you don't secure it, it won't be yours for long...

20. JAY

JAY Guide

Blog Posts:
    My security system. 10428568_813544205323743_8549706793409981774_n.jpg

21. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I keep eyeballing the lock pick kits I see on Massdrop. I know that Medeco is/was top of the line when it comes to door locks. My job at one that they needed another key for and the key control guy was mad because you have to go through the company to get duplicates. They ended up changing out the lock and I told them that they were down grading their security. As far as pad locks, we have a "master key" available to us. A three and half foot long set of bolt cutters.

DirtmanDave, ExAF1N1 and Tangotag like this.
  22. dub

dub Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    You've fallen in deeper than I ever did. I've never done much more than rake or use a bump key. Picking individual pins never worked out for me. Folks still get a kick when I make a tension wrench and rake out of paper clips to pop filing cabinets or pad locks at work when a key is lost.

DirtmanDave, ExAF1N1 and Tangotag like this.
  23. DirtmanDave

DirtmanDave Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My wife used to be a locksmith and did a lot of lock picking and safe manipulation. Even help the FBI out one time...but if I told you why I'd have to cut your head off and lock it in a safe. She was really good at her profession. Top 5 female locksmiths in the US. Medico wanted to hire her. But that was a long, long time ago (38 years). She would tell me just about ALL locks can be defeated one way or another.

24. ExAF1N1

Blog Posts:
    Tangotag and DirtmanDave like this.
  25. CowboyJesus

CowboyJesus Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    lol, thanks! yeah, i'm following it....and still taking extra precautions on that front too.

ExAF1N1 and Tangotag like this.
  26. Wasp

Wasp We are GO for Sting! Supporter

Blog Posts:
    It never occurred it might be a hobby until I saw it on Elementary series on t.v. I wouldn't mind playing someday.

Tangotag likes this.
  27. Dubhelix

Dubhelix Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    You know it’s a funny thing, the way the general public ascribe a certain sacredness to certain things, in this case the “holy locks of protection”.

“OMG! You have the simple bits of metal that shatter my illusion that my locks make me impervious to danger!”

I have pick sets...Because I have locks and do not automatically default to the mercy of The Trained Professional.

I can pick lots of common locks. Lower end padlocks and inexpensive door hardware is usually easy.

Industrial lock units are trickier, and some frustrate the heck out of me.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    Tangotag and mtngoat like this.
  28. Pinelogcreek

Pinelogcreek Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I’ll take your Shepard and Rottweilers and give you this five pounds of violence.

A8C3685B-8789-4979-97C0-AA746C81CEA5.jpeg

Seriously he is a great guardian for the house and I don’t have a yard full of land mines. As for locks I have used my own keys for bump keys and it did work surprisingly well. Otherwise it’s a screwdriver, bolt cutters or a number 11 Danner Acadia.

JonM, RavenLoon, mongo and 2 others like this.
  29. chndlr04

chndlr04 Scout

Blog Posts:
    What are y'all's opinion on dimple locks?

Been considering it for my home

Tangotag likes this.
  30. Tangotag

Blog Posts:
    As with just about all locks, every one can be picked/bypassed. If they allow a way in there is a way through.

I'm currently working on straight picking tighter tolerance pin and tumbler locks with security pins being mushroom, serrated, and spools. Most of the time I will not make eye contact with the lock once the tension bar and pick are inserted and work the lock by feel only.

After I feel comfortable working with high end security pin and tumblers I will look into picking entry level dimple locks.

I heard in a podcast about 6 months back a guy, peddling his book, who worked for our clandestine security service mentioned in their main building there is a room just dedicated for all employees to play around with locks and picks, pick-guns etc. After I had heard that I put together a contractor tool bag that I bring with when my local group of guys get together. We normally have a pot luck grilled steak dinner once a week or so (last week was 22oz porterhouse steaks), beers, always talk guns etc. and lately pick locks.

A little incentive for @Wasp to jump in.
    collection of locks 2.jpg Elementary-locks.jpg

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    RavenLoon, Huey and chndlr04 like this.
  31. Uncle Duke 520

Uncle Duke 520 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    For the Urban Backwoodsman,
    The wires from streetsweepers are made of spring steel, can be found by the sharp- eyed and the young.
    For Informational and Educational purposes only!

Tangotag likes this.