Longbow or Recurve

Discussion in 'Archery' started by Poeschel, Nov 18, 2018.

1. Poeschel

Poeschel Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Whats your preference and why? I have a Martin Mamba recurve which is 45#. I’d like to get another bow around 30# to really hone in my form. I hunt with a compound but I killed one this year so I’d like to spend some good amount of time working on my trad skills. Can’t decide between a recurve or longbow.

JasonJ likes this.
  2. JC1

JC1 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Recurve, longbows and self bows, I have all, shoot all and enjoy all.

In other words, no matter which you get today, you will get the other later on :D

3. J. Pierce

J. Pierce Perpetually Off Topic, Sorry. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I shot recurve when I was young, then shot the same longbow for probably 25 years.
    But something has happened over those two and a half decades, and the draw weight appears to have increased substantially................
    I just pick up a lower poundage recurve the other day, I've only shot it a few time so far, but I do really like it.

It could be the lower draw weight or it might be the recurve, but it has less hand shock than my 63 lb. longbow.
    I have to admit the grip is nice, I don't feel like I have to think about my bow hand as much as I did with a longbow.
    A hybrid longbow with a recurve style of grip and a little reflex deflex combines both into one, just something else to consider, or to muddy up the waters whatever the case may be.

I think in the grand scheme of things it really doesn't matter that much, pick one and become familiar with it and it's bound to become your prefered bow, no matter which one you choose.

jasam likes this.
  4. mjh

mjh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I shoot botg recurves and longbows. I primarily hunt with recurves. If your trying to hone your skills with tradbows to be ready to hunt get a bow that is a close to what you plan to hunt with. If you go the takedown or ILF route it's easy to switch limbs. When I switch from my recurves to my Howard Hill longbow it takes a little while for me to adjust my grip. I can switch between any of my recurves no problems.

jasam likes this.
  5. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    "If I wanted to pull a trigger, I'd use a rifle."

jk. I like to shoot both, prefer recurve... there's just something personal about it... you can't blame anyone or anything for the shot; it's all your fault, or all your skill. The bow gets it's entire strength from you; you can feel it 'fill' with energy as you draw. Immediately upon release, you know whether it's going to hit where you meant or not.

With a recurve, it's just mechanical the whole way. But as I get older, I can tell I'm going to have issues with a shoulder, and will eventually not be able to hunt with a recurve anymore. At that point, the 'let-off' on the compound will be a help, and I'll go back to it.

Subdood and chickasaw_hunter like this.
  6. Poeschel

Poeschel Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the responses. A little background. I started compound hunting when I was 15. I’m 37 now. Two years ago I sold off my compound gear and went trad only practicing every night. I was able to kill a doe which was more satisfying than any compound kill I’d ever had. Well, life took over and I stopped practicing. I bought another compound to hunt with but am feeling the itch again. I have the 45 pound bow which I’ll use for hunting but figured a 30 pounder would help build my muscle back up and help with some form issues I always had.

JasonJ and Primordial like this.
  7. Robert Highhawk

Robert Highhawk Scout

Blog Posts:
    I own recurves. I like to shoot both.

8. JEB

JEB Guide

Blog Posts:
    Recurves are easier to shoot, IMHO. I own many recurves, longbows and self bows and I can shoot better with my recurves. If I shoot in traditional leagues I use one of my recurves but I hunt with self bows or longbows. Just depends on what I grab on the way out the door.

9. Derzis

Derzis Scout

Blog Posts:
    With a good shooting sequence there is no difference between longbow or recurve for me. I have both and enjoy both and IMO the single thing that will influence the balance toward one or another is the guy who is using them. I would get a recurve in low poundage and solve the form issues before getting into longbows (maybe an ILF ). Or you can get a hybrid and you have the recurve riser and longbow appearance.

PS I have the Damon-Howatt Mamba in #55 and I consider it the best production bow for 58" AMO.

JasonJ likes this.
  10. OrienM

OrienM Guide

Blog Posts:
    I like both...a longbow is a little more forgiving to shoot IMHO, heavier and more stable. A recurve is smaller, faster, and easier to carry around.

11. Derzis

Derzis Scout

Blog Posts:
    Longbows are heavier than recurves? Not my experience. My Mamba is one of the lightest recurves out there and is 1.8lbs on my scale. My ASL Chekmate is 1.7lbs on same scale and it is a 70" AMO compared with 58" AMO and the longbow is a heavy-ish #76@28" - the lams are beefed up.

Mamba.jpg

Chekmate.jpg

But again, all is in the way someone defines longbow.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
    longcruise and JasonJ like this.
  12. longcruise

longcruise Scout

Blog Posts:
    Indeed, one nearly has to carry photo examples for clarification any more.

Derzis likes this.
  13. Hillbilly stalker

Hillbilly stalker Scout

Blog Posts:
    At 37 years old....you should not have any trouble building back up to the #45 lb bow you have. Pull it a dozen times in the morning before work, a dozen times when you get home and then shoot it that evening. Its all fun.

JasonJ likes this.
  14. billdawg

billdawg Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have a 45# longbow & a 50# Bear Grizzley recurve. I much prefer the recurve for a couple reasons:
    1-It's a little shorter so it's easier to get in and out of tight spots, eg: blinds, tree stands.
    2-My longbow didn't have an arrow rest, it was a traditional shoot off your hand type. Which means that it's impossible to put your hand in the exact same spot every time, and it's makes your shots not as consistent.
    3-The recurve (yeah it's a 50 compared to a 45), but it shoots a lot more accurately and faster.

But, I still enjoy the long bow for messing around in the back yard

Cavemanrob likes this.
  15. southron

southron Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have found that long bows don't offer the stacking / finger pinch that the shorter recurves seem to have with me.

My favorite two bows are a fiberglass indian archery 45# recurve that is pretty much my foul weather bow.

My most comfortable bow is a 47# flat bow I made myself. Just because I like it I put a silk backing on it with a plesant to look at pattern.

I also have a long bow I made that pulls 67# (All my draw length is 28 ") and is a bear to draw and shoot. I made it when I thought the extra poundage was normal based upon the old war longbows.

Been thinking about making a longbow with around 30# pull that I can play Archery Antiquary games with.

I was making a horn bow, but it ended up scrapped. More to come on that front come spring time.

Also I've made and shot "flight bows" based on plans in popular mechanix from back in the 60's. Dad collected them and I had them bound and they are all in the family library. Flight archery is it's own kind of entertainment.

I only ever owned one arrow launching machine: A bear blacktail bracket bow 50#. Just never warmed up to them much, My brother used it a bit in that 3D archery stuff so maybe there is that.

Over all I'd tell someone to shoot a lot of different kinds that they can borrow and pick one that speaks to them.

That's freedom for ya; ain't it?

16. ezra45

ezra45 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I have A Rampart TD recurve and a Rampart hybrid TD longbow. I shoot both and enjoy them equally. Both take the same arrows and the grip is similar on both. Both are 58# and I overdraw 2.5". If I had to choose just one, I would pick whichever was closest and walk out the door. If I stop shooting for a while, it takes me about a week to work my way back to comfort and decent form and accuracy. I wish they were 50# but they are what I bought 15 years ago and luckily ,I can still shoot them.
    Shoot some different bows, choose one and shoot the heck out of it.

Regards,

ezra

17. smokee

smokee Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I much prefer a longbow. I'm currently shooting two. An A&H takedown with 38# limbs and a Bear Montana at 35#. While the A&H is a super high end R/D bow, I find myself shooting the Bear Montana more often. The Bear is a sweet lightweight bow that I would buy again in a minute.
    Shooting low poundage bows lets me shoot lots of arrows and doesn't aggravate my overused shoulder.
    All my bow shooting is for fun not hunting.

longcruise and goon like this.
  18. JW_Halverson

JW_Halverson Tracker

Blog Posts:
    How about making your own bow?

ExAF1N1, longcruise and 3Rotts like this.
  19. bumma

bumma Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I, like several folks above, shoot both. I enjoy shooting both. If I had to choose between the two I would say take the recurve and leave me the longbow.

My recommendation is whatever route you choose do plenty of research and buy the best you can afford.

20. Brian Dennis

Brian Dennis Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    I have only a little longbow experience - I think for equal poundage, the LB might be a hair quieter. I have a 45 lb Kodiak, a 50 lb Kodiak (which I now NEVER shoot due to shoulders) and a 38 lb Black Bear, all Bears. I hunt with the 38 lb'er, and practice from 15 to about 22 yds. Some guys think it will just bounce off, but if you put a sharp broadhead in the right spot it will still blow clear through a 100 lb. whitetail or 50 lb. sika. What did Indians hunt with 500 years ago? They didnt starve, and their equipment probably wasn't what we have today.

21. longcruise

longcruise Scout

Blog Posts:
    I like traditional style longbows. I make my own and find that to be a great part of the enjoyment. I also build R/D bows but have sold or given most of them to family. I should build another for myself.

I like recurves too but I shoot longbows a little better.

I highly recommend building your own bows.

JW_Halverson likes this.