Looking for a Canoe

Discussion in 'Paddling' started by PoconoChris, Jun 27, 2019.

1. PoconoChris

PoconoChris Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I was Kayaking with a group and the Kayak I was borrowing move out of my area. It was tough on my back sitting with my legs straight. I also tried a canoe and it was much better on my back. So the hunt begins...

I'm looking for something I can solo or double up on. I don't think I'll be overnighting on any trip either, just day fishing trips. Something that can take hitting a shallow rock or beaching without worrying about damage. I won't be portaging but I would like to be able to get it on and off the car roof by myself. We were going on ponds, the Susquehanna, and the Delaware rivers but nothing white water. I would also like to keep up with the kayaks too.

I haven't had much luck in my area with used, is there something someone can suggest?

Thanks!

2. HeadyBrew

HeadyBrew Fully vaccinated Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    You don’t have too many limiting factors in your criteria for what you are looking for. That should make it pretty easy for you to find a decent, used canoe pretty quickly and at a good price. Do you have any budget constraints? Are you willing to travel to get that good deal?

Based off your handle, I assume you are around the Pocono’s in PA? If so, I did a quick CL search for Scranton area and you’re right, only a single aluminum canoe came up. Yikes. But if you’re willing to drive a couple hours, then you have a lot more options to get a used, decent plastic, fiberglass, or maybe even royalex boat from the usual common brands like Old Town.

Certain models for each brand are better or worse for certain situations but it sounds like you just want your basic, all around useful tandem canoe. If you aren’t doing any long distances, won’t be tripping out of it, and are on calm or slow moving water, then you have tons of options.

Edit: the classified sections of paddling.com is another place to look and as another member recently brought to my attention the sales section of Facebook is another.

FreeMe likes this.
  3. FreeMe

FreeMe Guide

Blog Posts:
    Based on your post, the question that we need to answer is - what kind of kayaks are you wanting to keep up with? If they're the common 10-12' recreational kayaks, that leaves a lot of options. If they're 14' and up touring kayaks, that's a pretty tall order when soloing in a tandem canoe. And wind will always be an issue.

Bad Little Falls likes this.
  4. RavenLoon

RavenLoon axology student Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I find around here is decent aluminum canoes keep their value if you can find one for $200-$400. I see several come up every year in this price range. They can be stored outside, are great to learn on, and are almost indestructible in regular use. If you don't like it or you don't want it anymore you can sell it for what you paid usually.

66drifter and FreeMe like this.
  5. gila_dog

gila_dog Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    When you said that you want to be able to get it on and off the vehicle by yourself, that eliminates the cheap canoes. Cheap = heavy. If you are in really good shape, no back problems, you may be able to get an 80 lb canoe on an off your vehicle by yourself. Or you may wind up wrecking your back or getting a hernia. And forget carrying it very far. With a strong helper, a cheap heavy canoe isn't such a challenge. But all by yourself it's going to be a lot harder. I bought, tried out, liked, and then sold a cheap Old Town Saranac 14.5. It showed me that I liked canoeing. But it weighed 85 lb and was miserable to handle, unless it was on the water. And I was afraid I was going to ruin my back getting it on and off the truck camper. So I spent the money on a 16 ft fiberglass Wenonah canoe that weighs about 55 lb. Much better and safer to carry around. So, if you can find a lighter canoe, you may be a lot happier with it than some cheap, heavy boat. But expect to pay more for it.

6. 66drifter

66drifter Guide

Blog Posts:
    when reading the weights of a canoe rememberize that when loading one on a vehicle you only have to lift one end at a time

my Discovery 164 weighs in at about 78# and i can load it solo on top of the Jeep Cherokee

i am 71yo and out of shape(unless you call round a shape)

the Discovery series of Old Towns is one tough bunch of canoes that rarely loose any value in relationship to what you can pick them up for on CL or FB marketpace...

under $500 is possible incl paddles and PFD's

it goes w/o saying that now isn't the best time to be a buyer of used water toys

fall and winter are your friends when folks are trying to gather up some shekles for holiday needs

GOOD UCK W/ YOUR QUEST

7. Theangrywelder

Theangrywelder Tracker

Blog Posts:
    If your willing to spend the money, I don't think you can beat a Swift canoe. I agree they are expensive but a dry weight of 25# is hard to beat.

https://www.swiftcanoe.com/canoe