Looking For A Good Spot For First Time Bushcraft Trip

Discussion in 'Arkansas' started by adam2324, May 2, 2011.

1. adam2324

adam2324 Tinder Gatherer

I live in Hot Springs and i am looking for a good place to wild camp.

I have camped many times and i would like to try to pack a bag park my car and just walk out and find a spot in the woods. I have heard you can do that in the national forest but i can not find any information how to find those areas or if i need a fire permit, anything like that.

I know what i need to pack but i don't know how to plan a route. where could i find a map of the wooded area so i could find a nice secluded spot to hike out to and not one that is pre set up to camp in (fire pit/ bathrooms things like that)

Thanks for any of the help!

Last edited: May 3, 2011
  2. BillCr

BillCr Guide Bushclass I

bing.com

Bing.com has a pretty helpful "Bird's eye" map program that you do not have to download like Google maps. I've used it to find good parking spots and entrance points for some places along the Patoka River that may or may not be private property. I follow the river on the map looking for secluded spots with vehicle access.

Be sure to pick the birds eye view setting. It's in a drop down box above the map.

www.bing.com

Be sure to swing over here buddy and welcome: http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10

Last edited: May 2, 2011
  3. adam2324

adam2324 Tinder Gatherer

Thanks for the help. Ill be sure to try it out.

4. riley

riley Scout

If there is a ban no fire other than that no idea. i have never ever even seen another person when i was out in the forest. Not sure if it will be more popular down your way.

5. Bush Bear

Bush Bear Scout

6. froldt

froldt Scout

The national forest near me has signs at all of the public parking areas and trails that tell about camping rules. You might have better luck exploring the land than online. If nothing else, either stop by or call the ranger station and they will let you know.

7. StoneHopper

StoneHopper Scout

If you will pm me I will give you my phone number to help you with this area. I llive in Royal on the border of the ONF and have camped in it most of my life.

8. BENCH

BENCH Scout

We camp in the Mena, and Langley area a lot. Both are great walk in, and camp areas, but call the Mena ranger office and also the Glenwood office for burn bans.

We go to Langley once or twice a month starting in November to fish for trout.

I'll be glad to let you know when we go

9. StoneHopper

StoneHopper Scout

I know we have a burn ban in the Hot Springs area again. Just placed on Tuesday. Keeping prayers up for my family in East TX. Some of them are near fires and others are fighting them.

10. whitewater4x4

whitewater4x4 Tracker

Hello adam2324 Hope you had much good luck getting out over the year since the original post . Have you considered the Ozark Highlands Trail? There are several trail head parking places along it . The local boy scouts were working on hiking the full length of it a couple years back .

11. adam2324

adam2324 Tinder Gatherer

Thanks for the posts,
    I do most of my hiking and camping on the OT now. It will be awhile b4 I get to see it all.

12. StoneHopper

StoneHopper Scout

Be careful. A friend of mine ran into some pot growers up there a few years ago in the area around Blue Ridge North of Jesseville