Looking for a new Pack

Discussion in 'Packs, Bags & Pouches' started by BC-Medic, Apr 7, 2019.

1. BC-Medic

BC-Medic Scout

Blog Posts:
    20190407_175157.jpg This is the Duluth pathfinder pack... do not know the liters. Measurements...22"H x 17 " W x 6 " D...this pack carries a lot of gear...I like this pack.....but I'm done. It is well made, it is bomb proof. It is heavy 3 lbs empty. It is uncomfortable with no frame or suspension. Can anyone recommend a pack of this size in capacity but is modern, lighter and has some suspension or shape. I think I remember a redwing or something similar...I think it may be connected with Alone... I think different sizes...not sure if this is even what I'm looking for.....hoping all you folks can help so I can narrow down a sesrch.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  2. chndlr04

chndlr04 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Screenshot_2019-04-07-18-43-59.png

3. chndlr04

chndlr04 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Budget??

4. woodsranger

woodsranger Solitude Seeker Supporter

Blog Posts:
  5. fixits

fixits Noble Savage Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Cant go wrong with a Kelty Redwing 44 if your a normal sized human.
    Less than $100 used...

freebirdfb and M.Hatfield like this.
  6. WhisperInThePine

WhisperInThePine Wubba lubba dub dub Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Kelty Redwings are bombproof packs that carry much more comfortably. I use one as a field day bag for forestry work.

Mountainsmith and mountain hardwear also make great durable items.

7. BC-Medic

BC-Medic Scout

Blog Posts:
    I spent around 300 on this one. I will spend it again if needed. I know what I'm looking could cost a few bucks.

8. BC-Medic

BC-Medic Scout

Blog Posts:
    Not sure what you're trying to show me are you just giving me easy mathematical solution or did you take the dimensions and figure out how many liters?

Turtle Creek and freebirdfb like this.
  9. BC-Medic

BC-Medic Scout

Blog Posts:
    One thing that would help me would be the amount of liters that this pack can carry. I've been cruising around Google and looked at Osprey Kelty Mountain Smith Etc lot of good choices out there but everything that I find so far that I like seems to be more along the lines of a Daypack

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  10. chndlr04

chndlr04 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I multiplied the dimensions to give me the cubic inches then used a converter to give me the liter which is between 36-37 liter

11. BC-Medic

BC-Medic Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thank you. I now where to start now.

12. mtwarden

mtwarden roaming the Big Sky Supporter

Blog Posts:
    lots of nice packs in the 40 liter range- if you're looking more towards bomber packs- check Mystery Ranch, Hill People Gear, Kifaru, Stone Glacier- they'll likely be in that 3 lb range, but will differ significantly in that they will handle a load well- with comfy waist belt/shoulder straps and a working frame

if you want lighter (but less bomber) Osprey has a few in the 40 liter range; real light -check into the cottage industry packs from Mountain Laurel Designs, Zpacks, Gossamer Gear, others

13. Paul Foreman

Paul Foreman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sellers, Alabama, in South Montgomery County
    best advice i can give is this: hie thyself to a good outdoors store - or two or three - and try on as many as you can with a pretend load. no idea how far you'd have to travel, but it'd be worth it ...

14. tomcfitz

tomcfitz Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    To echo Paul, bring your usual daypack load into an REI or similar, and then start packing it into various packs, and wander the store for a bit wearing each one. Takes a few hours, but it's the best way to do it. Plus it allows you to really test the organization of different packs, which is invaluable, and not always obvious from pictures.

15. DaStoner47

DaStoner47 The Navigator Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Check out Hill People Gear. Stuff is bombproof, with one of the best suspension systems on the market. I think the Ute or the Aston House Backcountry would be perfect if you are willing to spend the money. They way a bit more than some of the other packs on the market, but you do not really notice the weight with their harness.

freebirdfb, tomcfitz and M.Hatfield like this.
  16. M.Hatfield

M.Hatfield Midnight Joker #42 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    These two sources are also invaluable:

https://www.backcountry.com/packs

https://www.moosejaw.com/search/backpacks#addedFilters

They both tend to have a wider range of options than an REI Store.

Hope you find a good replacement. @BC-Medic

freebirdfb and blind & lost like this.
  17. BC-Medic

BC-Medic Scout

Blog Posts:
    I purchased the Duluth pack for Bushcraft reasons I knew that it was Heavy to begin with and I use this for days that I am going out some overnights so I can use some traditional equipment and carry an extra amount of crap that I just enjoy using and having with me. There is no way that this pack is built for mileage and or elevation if you were carrying heavy in traditional gearIMO , you could use the pack for this if you dropped all the traditional and went with all UL stuff that would probably be doable. Part of the problem is the lack of padding or any type of structure to the bucket of the pack once you start breaching 25lb the pack wants to sag and it just becomes uncomfortable.

18. Nick Dundua

Nick Dundua Scout Vendor Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Karrimor sabre 45

19. BC-Medic

BC-Medic Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have had this pack for years I like it it's a UL pack. I call it my dr. Seuss pack because it has more Loops Hoops wraps fraps and straps. Mesh, mish Pockets dockets and drain holes....lol. it's a 40 L pack and it will not hold all of my current loadout. I emailed Duluth pack about the leader size of the Pathfinder pack they informed me that the Duluth Pathfinder pack is 59 L not including the exterior pockets. Took them awhile to get back to me but now I know why all of my stuff will not fit in the 40 l... 20190408_124221.jpg

20. BC-Medic

BC-Medic Scout

Blog Posts:
    I was considering doing this the closest store I have to me is Eastern Mountain Sports most of the time they are very accommodating and I have a feeling that if the right people work and they would get a kick out of me bringing it all of my crap and trying to stuff it into a pack

21. tomcfitz

tomcfitz Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    If you've got a friendly local staff, I'd definitely go make a day/afternoon of it. Plus while you're wandering around with the pack on, you may see all sorts of things you didn't realize you needed!

Personally, if you're into a big bag without much organization, I'd look at Hill People Gear. I've had the Aston House BC and currently a Ute, and they are stellar packs. Bombproof, and incredibly comfortable.

Captain Airyca and M.Hatfield like this.
  22. Pinnah

Pinnah Tracker

Blog Posts:
    If you're hovering around the 25lb mark, I would recommend getting a pack that is tall enough that the hip belt will carry the weight to off load the shoulders. Most "day" packs are too short for this and the "hip" belt is more of a "belly" belt to keep the pack from flopping around but that does nothing to support the load.

Our family has had good luck with Kelty Redwings mentioned above. I would buy based on torso length, not on internal capacity. Better to carry a too large pack that fits than one that is too short for your body.

I carry a Jandd Zoor Alpinist. It has no frame or frame sheet but carries well if you pack it well. The shape of the pack combined with the compression straps essentially makes a 25 lb load solid enough to act like a frame.
    https://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FZA

There are loads of really good packs in the 40L range.

tomcfitz and M.Hatfield like this.
  23. PatrickKnight

PatrickKnight Scout

Blog Posts:
  24. BradGad

BradGad Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    So, ~37 liters and a healthy budget.

There are many fine choices but I will tell you I have been more than happy with my Mystery Ranch Coulee 40. It’s not the lightest pack out there (3 lbs 14 oz), but that is because it is built so tough. After closing up Dana Designs years ago, when the founder got back in making packs, at first he sold only to the military, law enforcement, and smokejumpers. The designs still reflect that for the most part, and I really appreciate that toughness when bushwhacking.

I also like the look... modern but not techno or tacticool. (Mine is the “wood” color.)

Infinitely adjustable.

And I really like the size... not silly big for an overnighter but with some ruthlessness I can pack it for a week.

https://www.mysteryranch.com/coulee-40-pack?quantity=1&color=Black

M.Hatfield likes this.
  25. Pinnah

Pinnah Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I had missed your posted when posted. Sorry to have missed this.

There is no standardization in pack sizes so I would be skeptical about Duluth's size claim. Have you tried putting your gear in that old Gregory?

I can only tell you my own experience.... I carry a pack very similar to that Gregory. I use it for winter day pack or a summer day pack when leading trips, as the extra volume is nice. It has to be a very, very light weight trip for me to stuff even a summer over night load into that pack.

If I can't fit my load into my Zoor (same size as that Gregory), I just go straight to a full sized pack. I carry a Kelty external frame, yes, even in the Whites of NewHampshire and no, I have no interest in going back to an internal frame pack.

I would say if you can't fit gear into that Gregory, it's time for a full sized pack.

M.Hatfield likes this.
  26. BC-Medic

BC-Medic Scout

Blog Posts:
    Quick drive-by through Eastern Mountain Sports today too much going on right now to show with a load out and just wanted to see if they had a pack in stock that I was curious about. They did I'm mildly interested in the Osprey AG 65. They had a couple in stock not necessarily the colors that I want but that's okay give me a minute to look at the Play with the pack and decide if I like it. I think it will carry all of my gear. I picked up one pack and on the tag said small-medium seem like it fit pretty good and I understand the suspension is adjustable, I grabbed another one and it was marked medium and I felt as though the top of the pack was smacking me in the back of the head which is going to become annoying real quick, didn't find one marked large or M/L...does anybody know how the sizing goes? Does anybody have any input or opinions about this pack?

M.Hatfield likes this.
  27. Dpinga

Dpinga Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Just picked one of these up and love it. I also got the two side pouches for an additional 25 litres. I can take those off in the summer and add em in the winter. Works perfect.

M.Hatfield and Nick Dundua like this.
  28. BC-Medic

BC-Medic Scout

Blog Posts:
    Okay I'll check it out never heard them

M.Hatfield, Nick Dundua and Dpinga like this.
  29. Pinnah

Pinnah Tracker

Blog Posts:

I think you are looking at the right size class (if your Gregory is too small).

IME, full size internal framed packs a) must fit your anatomy just like boots do so the fact that brand X fits me well tells you next to nothing for you and b) are sized based torso length and this is often not obvious based on the first try on, particularly if rushed. I would recommend taking some time and trying on everything you can find in that size range at both EMS and REI.

The other thing I'll add having carried a range of large internal frames over the years (TNF, Jandd, Dana Design) is that nothing comes remotely close to the spinal comfort I get with an external frame pack (Kelty). My only regret about moving to a Kelty external frame is waiting as long as I did.

M.Hatfield likes this.
  30. Nick Dundua

Nick Dundua Scout Vendor Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That's what I like , its versatile those big pockets add all you need but I'm old school I prefer my lk35 with that heavy uncomfortable frame on my scoliosis back just to look cool in case I meet hot blondies in the woods or to look cool for 5 seconds in my videos, lol

Dpinga, tomcfitz and M.Hatfield like this.
  31. BC-Medic

BC-Medic Scout

Blog Posts:
    + 1 on the hot blondes.....or brunette.....or red heads....dirty blonde, strawberry.....well being a bushcrafter you work with what you got.....

Dpinga and tomcfitz like this.
  32. medic16

medic16 Scout

Blog Posts:
  33. j_mcrane

j_mcrane Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have an atmos 65. Super comfy and can do it all.

I figure you need 3-4 pacs min to get buy.

1) small day pack for solo trips in mild weather - 18-30 litters. Talon 22, coulee 25, Umlindi
    2) mid sized 30-50. Heavier and can hold weight wel. Day hunts with rifle and gear. Coulee, pintler, Aston house boc. Family day trips, winter day trips.
    3) multi day trips. 60-90l.

My personal choices
    Osprey Stratos 24
    Osprey atmos 65 - lightweight but comfy multi day hikes
    To purchase next
    Mystery ranch sawtooth 45 litter and beartooth 85 litter
    25, 45, 65, 85 litter copassity

mtwarden likes this.
  34. mtwarden

mtwarden roaming the Big Sky Supporter

Blog Posts:
    that's exactly what I told my wife; of course she retorts "then why do you have eight packs?" :D

35. La\\//inci

La\\//inci Tracker

Blog Posts:
  36. Watcher of the Woods

Watcher of the Woods Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    @BC-Medic

Lots of sound advice has been given already here. My question is, how much stuff are you carrying if you need a 65L pack for an overnight? Not trying to be rude, just wondering if re-considering what you pack may be advantageous. Ounces make pounds and pounds make pain...

My Osprey Talon 22 is all I need for a long dayhike/ultra light overnight.

My Hill People Gear Umlindi is around 30L. It carries amazingly, and can hold a huge amount of weight. The suspension is unlike any other I've ever used. I'd have no qualms about using it for 2-3 days out.

If you want a larger pack, I'd say look into the HPG Ute, or something out of Osprey's lineup. Osprey packs are bomber, have a lifetime warranty, and carry like a dream.

I went through a big phase of carrying less comfortable packs because they were "bushcrafty"... Now I use my Osprey and am always comfortable. It carries what I need and carries it well.

Just my .02, YMMV.

La\\//inci likes this.
  37. sak45acp

sak45acp Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Find a couple of hours of free time, and coordinate with EMS's "pack guru" for an appointment at the store. Bring your gear. Get your torso measured. This will rule out packs that won't fit. Go through the ones that will fit with your gear loaded to find what works. Pick the one with the colors and features you like. Go hike happy. I suspect without knowing you that you will end up in a Gregory or Osprey pack, but there's a lot of choice available. If nothing else, you will know better what will fit if you don't find something at EMS, and have to keep searching. Full disclosure: I work for EMS.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    La\\//inci likes this.
  38. BC-Medic

BC-Medic Scout

Blog Posts:
    Not rude at all in fact the question is very valid. That duluthpack is pretty much my main Hub I store 90% of my gear that I use on a regular basis. The idear is is I can add water tiny bit of food and any extra clothes and cutting tools and out the door, it's pretty much always ready to go. It is set up so that if I choose to I can go to it take out some core elements and drop them to a much smaller and lighter pack, for day hikes or simple overnights, which I have done but sometimes I don't feel like repacking and I just grab that one and go depending upon distance elevation. There are a few items in there that I keep in there because I'm still evaluating them, for instance right now it does not weigh much and it packed flat. It's an ember light titanium twig stove. Will it stay in there permanently? I do not know because I'm not done evaluating it yet, but I leave it there so that I have it with me and I can at any point I can give it a try. There has been a couple of times I've gone out with a buddy and it was going to be a simple Day hike and he's looked at me and gone how long are you staying and I chuckle a bit .I just didn't feel like repacking. I don't so much mind the weight some of the stuff I carry is bulky and because of the bulk and weight in that pack it just doesn't carry well. I have recently upgraded a couple of stuff sacks to lightweight compressible sacks to help reduce a tiny bit of weight and to help with the bulk. There are a few older pieces of a gear that I am seriously considering upgrading. Like I often use a usgi bivvy compared to other bivvys it's bulky and heavy. In the near future I may be replacing that with something much lighter and compresses much smaller.

Watcher of the Woods likes this.
  39. Watcher of the Woods

Watcher of the Woods Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I had a set up similar to this. I went over to using "kits" in stuff sacks/organizers/pouches. IE, I have a PSK with everything I could need emergency wise, a FAK, a shelter kit, a cook kit, etc... It takes 2 minutes for me to toss stuff into a pack before I go out on a hike. Helps to keep the weight down and stop me from bringing more than I need. I always have enough with me to ensure safety, but not to the point of excess.

The reason I bring all of this up is that I have started to enjoy my time outside SO MUCH MORE since I cut my pack weight. When I was younger my mentor John gave me a hard time because my daypack would weigh 40 pounds. I carried it like a trooper and never complained, but it wasn't comfortable. Now to go out for a day my pack is all of 10 pounds, including water and food.

40. BC-Medic

BC-Medic Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thank you I may end up doing something like that. I'm really digging that Osprey Atmos. I was actually at a friend's Camp all weekend, and on my way back home I almost stopped at the corporate EMS in Peterborough New Hampshire I kind of regret not stopping there.

41. BC-Medic

BC-Medic Scout

Blog Posts:
    The kit thing is pretty much exactly what I do, fak, cordage kit fire kit cook kit Etc. In the summer that kit weighs in around 30 to 32 lb, in the winter it can hit 40 and 45 part of that is the wool blanket that I carry weighs 5 lb if I throw in my Small Forest axe and my adventure sworn bucksaw the pound stat adding up. I use CCF sleep pad in the winter. Summer inflatable Big Agnes much smaller and easier to carry. I

42. MAD Punty

MAD Punty Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Hmmmm...

Light packs are not my thing, but some packs carry weight better than others. Before spending a bunch, you may want to consider getting a frame pack of the same size. They tend to carry weight much better.

Maybe something like the Hidden Woodsman Deep Woods Ruck, or even the Norwegian Telemark pack, which runs in the $40 range, and is about 50 liters, I think.

I'm also a big fan of all things Kelty, but I'm just throwing it out there. I'm basically a hard core frame pack guy...all of my packs are frame packs.

43. Pinnah

Pinnah Tracker

Blog Posts:
    This has been experience as well.