Looking for input on this small FAK!

Discussion in 'Bush Medicine' started by lil'mike, Feb 2, 2018.

1. lil'mike

lil'mike Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Looking for some input on this small FAK for short hikes and some biking with the misses! I will carry it in my backpack so don't want any huge kit.

If this is a good basic kit then what should I add to it to make it an even better kit?

Thx in advance for any and all comments!

https://www.staples.com/Johnson-Joh...st-Aid-Kit-70-items-Model-8274/product_609421

RC_FAK.jpeg

• 70 items in 1 easy-to-carry case
    • For providing out-of-home first aid
    • Contains RED CROSS Brand, BAND-AID Brand Adhesive Bandages and more
    • Package Contents: 6 x hand cleansing wipes 5 “x 7-3/4”, 3 x Antibiotic Ointment 1/32 oz., 15 x Adhesive Bandages 5/8 “x 2-1/4”, 12 x Adhesive Bandages 3/4 “ x 3”, 8 x Spots Adhesive Bandages 7/8 “x 7/8”, 4 x Gauze Pads 2” x 2”, 19 x Adhesive Bandages 1” x 3”, 2 x Tylenol (Acetaminophen) Extra Strength Caplets 500 mg, 1 x Organized Carrying Case
    • The perfect size first aid kit for your car, suitcase or gym bag
    • Refillable plastic case is portable and organized
    • Kit includes: 6 Johnson & Johnson® 5x7-3/4" hand cleansing wipes
    • Case size: 5-1/2Hx6Wx1-3/4"D
    • 70 item first aid kit is portable and organized
    • Meets or exceeds OSHA requirements
    • Contains trusted brands
    • 6 Johnson & Johnson hand cleansing wipes 5'' x 7 3/4''
    • 4 Neosporin® first aid antibiotic ointment 1/32 oz.
    • 8, Johnson & Johnson Red Cross® gauze pads 2'' x 2''
    • 5 Band-Aid® flexible fabric adhesive bandages 1'' x 3''
    • 10 Band-Aid® flexible fabric adhesive bandages 3/4'' x 3''
    • 15 Band-Aid® flexible fabric adhesive bandages 5/8'' x 2 1/4''
    • 21 Band-Aid® flexible fabric adhesive bandages 1'' x 3''
    • 1 organized carrying case

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    Bobsdock, NoBrakesRacing and Seeker like this.
  2. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Heavy on Band Aids, light on everything else, imho.

Can't tell the size of the case, but you can get a decent sized case (4x5 ish) from walmart for $1 in the trial size aisle where they sell the First Aid kits, or on the 'impulse buy' rack at the checkouts. If you can find one, an old plastic cigarette case (two plastic halves that telescope into one another to cover a standard pack of cigarettes) works well too. A travel soap dish works. I have also used an old "Prince Albert" tobacco tin. My day hike/hunting FAK is in a Mentos container.

A handful of large cloth-backed bandaids, a few larger telfa non-stick pads, a couple q-tip swabs, a couple neosporin singles, a tiny pair of tweezers, and some Motrin and Pepto are my 'small' FAK.

I use the Johnson & Johnson $1 kit container mentioned earlier for a larger multi-day one. in addition to the items mentioned in the small kit, I add a few larger bandaids, moleskin, a dental repair putty kit, and some allergy meds, plus more Motrin and Pepto tablets.

See the "Make a FAK" Bushclass student practice thread for a TON of information.

Wasp, crewhead05, highlander and 2 others like this.
  3. Coryphene

Coryphene Guide

Blog Posts:
    My favorite bandaids are the knuckle ones. My mother has extremely brittle fingernails so she stocks up on the "fingertip and knuckle" bandaids but only uses the fingertip ones. Every few years I take a large bag full of knuckle bandaids home with me from her house. These are great for knuckles, fingertips, and anywhere else.

Add some gauze, non-stick pads, etc and you have your first aid kit. When longer hikes, I have a much better FAK.

Learning how to properly use a tourniquet is also important if you decide to carry one. They can save your life when used properly or cause you to lose a limb when used improperly.

Bobsdock likes this.
  4. Coryphene

Coryphene Guide

Blog Posts:
    Forgot to add:

Making your own FAK is almost always better than buying an off the shelf one. Those are really only meant to treat minor cuts and scrapes.

One item that should be included in every FAK is a small tube of superglue. Takes up very little space but can be used as instant stitches. My sister is a Vet in the Army so is also trained to be a Medic and they use superglue a LOT. She also uses it in place of stitches for surgery when appropriate. She has superglued cuts on her own fingers and family members rather than go to the ER for stitches.

A tampon is also a good item to have in case of a deep, large puncture as it will be an instant clotting device. Used on battlefields to plug bullet wounds. Unlikely to encounter them on the trail, but if you fall and have a sharp stick go in your thigh, it could be a good thing to have in your kit.

5. Park Swan

Park Swan Maker Vendor

Blog Posts:
    How many band-aids do you need on one outing? My max is maybe two or three, but honestly I rarely use them. Super glue would be much more handy IMO, that's what I put on a lot of cuts. I agree with @Coryphene on using the knuckle bandaids for versatility. They can be used in difficult places but also anywhere. You can replenish the kit with bandaids if you use them. More important are the emergency first aid gear. I like to keep a quikclot sponge in my FAKs, thank odin I haven't had to use one yet.

Bobsdock and Coryphene like this.
  6. lil'mike

Blog Posts:
    The case size: 5-1/2Hx6Wx1-3/4"D. I know it is better to create your own but thought this one could be a good start with some changes. I like the size of the case to use for a backpack which is why I was looking at it. Thx.

I like the idea of the knuckle bandaids and super glue. I will add them after I take out some others! Thx.

7. lil'mike

Blog Posts:
    FYI, I wasn't gonna keep all the bandaids in the case. I was going to slim them down to a few of some different types, then look at the comments that were given to add other items to the kit.

Thx.

aaronu likes this.
  8. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Understood.

And yes, that's not a bad size, especially for a 2-person kit. When I was a kid, I used one of those metal band-aid boxes for a first aid kit in Boy Scouts. I also carried a LOT more stuff when my kids were younger... One needed Mermaid bandaids, the other needed Dora the Explorer... then you had to carry the tiny ones for every little scratch and boo boo... then when they got older, there were periods to deal with and I quietly and mostly unbeknonwst to them "carried stuff" for them, just in case. Now that it's just me, I can go back to rubbing dirt on the little cuts and carrying less stuff for now. When I have grandkids, it will get bigger again.

9. ArkansasFan

ArkansasFan Tracker

Blog Posts:
    It's just a lot of BandAids. I keep two in my wallet. BandAids are good, but the adhesive may go bad before you use them all.

I'd suggest looking at what problems you've typically experienced in life and build a kit around that.

For me a FAK needs Zyrtec and/or Allegra and a couple of BandAids.

I feel the most typical problems, for my household, are treatable by a med. I have two kits transferrable from EDC to whatever other kit should I choose.

I have an Altoids tin with a couple of 2x2 gauze (mostly to take up space), Dermabond, a packet of WaterJel burn dressing, a few alcohol swabs, packet of antibiotic ointment, packet of hydrocortisone cream, a couple of benzocaine swabs, a few BandAids, and some miscellaneous tablets: loperamide, ranitidine, cetirizine, diphenhydramine, acetaminophen, ibuprofen, ondansetron. Realistically, I call this my "convenience kit" and only carry it around for my wife's use. I've drawn on the supplies for her. My child is too little for most of that.

I also have an ITS Tactical tallboy trauma kit with a SOF-T-Wide tourniquet, QuikClot Combat Gauze, a Z-fold dressing, triangular bandage, Halo chest seal, a couple of the large maybe credit card sized BandAids, Combine Pad wrapped around some surgical foam, Tegaderm, Israeli dressing, nasopharyngeal airway, and a Sharpie. I carry this, frankly, in the event an active shooter type situation. I've had all kinds of exposure and training in my transition from law enforcement to psychiatry.

Is there a way to mark this reply in case I want to reference it later?

10. Todd1hd

Todd1hd Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    If you like it use it. Too many bandaids? So what, they take up practically zero space. Wanna add to it? Go for it.

11. Medic17

Medic17 BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
  12. lil'mike

Blog Posts:
    Thx for the comments and I will consider them all.

I am considering the "what if" ideas when out hiking and biking, like falling off the bike say by hitting a root/hole if off road and pot holes/stones/debris or forced off road on streets that can scrape the crap out of your palms etc. (been there, done that) so I am going to get some biking type gloves but of course there could be other cuts/bruises to take care of. With hiking I am sure there can be cuts/bruises but other things that come to mind maybe twisted ankle (almost done this from not watching where I was walking and step down at an angle with a good size root exposed).

13. will62

will62 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have started with a couple of the Adventure Medical and added to them to work for me. They are good place to start and build on.

14. lil'mike

Blog Posts:
    Looking around at that site, this kit seems like a good one and something that would fit well for what we would be doing! What do you think?

http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/medical-kits/adventure-first-aid/adventure-first-aid-1-0.html

15. Pinelogcreek

Pinelogcreek Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I made my own after trying many. I feel this will treat most of what I’ve experienced and seen on dayhike type scenarios that you could manage without more assistance. One thing most lack I’d the ability to treat skinned knees or such that where the 4x4’s come in. Also the treatment of allergic reactions and heart attack should not be discounted. Lastly most lack gloves that protect you and the injured person without passing germs. This kit is small and travels easily.

1 ziploc baggie quart
    4 4x4 non adherent pads (who wants gauze stuck in road rash when it dries)
    1 coflex from tractor supply
    Few bandaids
    Some steristrips
    Advil for pain
    Benadryl and Zantac for allergic reactions
    Aspirin heart attack
    individuals wipes for clean up
    Small Waterjel for burns
    Some leukotape wrapped around an old card for blisters and needed tape
    Two gloves, thick nitrile
    Tourniquet (not to debate, I have the training and understand proper application)

lil'mike likes this.
  16. lil'mike

Blog Posts:
    I really appreciate the list! Thx.

17. gohammergo

gohammergo Still running against the wind..... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I can't really add much to this, except another viewpoint. I have very little medical training. I have also spent a LOT of time stomping around the woods. The most I've ever needed was maybe a band aid. I do carry a decent fak with me, but I've never had to use it for myself. I came across a guy once who had cut himself pretty bad with a saw, and patched him up.

A lot of good advice here.

Midwest.Bushlore likes this.
  18. lil'mike

Blog Posts:
    I too have spent some time hiking around without even needing a bandaid. I am more worried about it now since my wife will be going and the plan it to go on longer hikes, hence more potential for some scrapes or whatever to come up! I don't expect anything major either as we are usually on trails and usually see others around too so this is why I just want a small FAK to cover the basics. Thx.

gohammergo likes this.
  19. highlander

highlander Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I bought the larger version of your kit when taking my first aid for teachers class. I found it to be sufficient for my purpose. Yours looks like it would be good for a day pack or a car.
    FAKs are customizable. I added a buncha extra stuff like more bandaids, gloves, upgraded scissors, extra gauze, two maxi pads for pressure dressings, and a small Swiss Army Knife.
    I recently bought a small waterproof FAK ($4.88) and took it home. Everything that I deemed unnecessary was taken out. I subbed more waterproof bandaids and the larger bandaids for the tape and gauze. I added more small wound cleaning wipes and some packets of burn cream. This is a fishing kit FAK. I have a larger one for my backpack.

lil'mike likes this.
  20. lil'mike

Blog Posts:
    That is my plan for this little kit which is too take out a bunch of bandaids and add items thru some suggestions here that I should have since this is my first kit!

I would like a small waterproof kit too so can you tell me where you got yours from! Thx.

21. DKR

DKR Scout

Blog Posts:
    Some things every 'outdoor' kit should have

Moleskin - a blister can be a pain to a disaster.

Tweeters - all kinds of thorns in the outdoors.

I'm partial to Povidone iodine in the individual packets. I carry 10 as they can be used to treat water in a pinch

Headlight - hard to work a problem in the dark and hands-free is a must.

A few tabs of eye wash - the kind in the ampoule with tear off tops. People are always getting crap in their eyes - dust, ash from a campfire, etc.

I put of list of stuff here - https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/fak-help.211546/

Midwest.Bushlore and lil'mike like this.
  22. highlander

highlander Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    369F88E6-DA5C-4B21-9167-806139736F89.jpeg Camping section at Walmart. It’s red and in one of these types of containers.
    The stuff inside was not Johnson and Johnson, but it will suffice for a day pack.

23. aaronu

aaronu Armchair Bushcrafter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    In my mind most of the small FAK's are comfort kits, not to be confused with trauma kits or other stuff that might be needed in an actual emergency. Which is fine for me as I am not a medical professional.

I started out with Adventure Medical Ultralight & Watertight kits (a .3 and a .5 kit). The majority of contents have been changed out over time but I keep using the zipper pouches. I've added insect repellant wipes and a couple burn gels. When I replace bandages I put in knuckle bandages.

The AMK Steelhead FAK is a great small kit as well. It's just bigger enough to include an irrigation syringe for wound cleaning. My brother has a Steelhead kit and likes it.

The AMK First Aid 1.0 kit is pretty decent for a small kit. Seems like there's a lot of printed information there, and the pouch looks like it would be re-usable as you restocked it. The kit also has a few survival elements (compass and whistle) which I don't see as a bad thing.

24. lil'mike

Blog Posts:
    Update!

I was in Wallymart and was browsing around the sporting goods area and to my surprise they were selling that AMK First Aid kit 1.0 for less than $10 and since they are $14 online plus shipping I grabbed one.

So I will now use this kit as a starting point and build it from there. Add/delete items as needed based on suggestions here and other places.

Please feel free to post more suggestions on what should go into this kit. I posted a list below showing the contents of this kit so all can see what is stock items!

Thx.

Kit Contents!

• Bandage Materials
    • 12 - Bandage, Adhesive, Fabric, 1" x 3"
    • 1 - Bandage, Adhesive, Fabric, 2" x 4.5"
    • 2 - Bandage, Adhesive, Fabric, Knuckle
    • 3 - Bandage, Butterfly Closure
    • 2 - Dressing, Gauze, Sterile, 2" x 2", Pkg./2
    • 2 - Dressing, Gauze, Sterile, 3" x 3", Pkg./2
      Blister / Burn
    • 1 - Moleskin, 3" x 4"
      Fracture / Sprain
    • 1 - Bandage, Elastic with Clips, 2"
      Instrument
    • 1 - Splinter Picker/Tick Remover Forceps
      Medication
    • 2 - Acetaminophen (500 mg), Pkg./2
    • 2 - After Bite Wipe
    • 2 - Antihistamine (Diphenhydramine 25 mg)
    • 1 - Aspirin (325 mg), Pkg./2
    • 2 - Ibuprofen (200 mg), Pkg./2
      Survival Tools
    • 1 - Compass, Button, Liquid Filled
    • 1 - Mini Rescue Howler Whistle
      Wound Care
    • 10 - Antiseptic Wipe
    • 1 - Tape, 1/2" x 10 Yards
    • 2 - Triple Antibiotic Ointment, Single Use

Seeker and aaronu like this.
  25. aaronu

Blog Posts:
    Good stuff. It's a heck of a good kit and even better for ten bucks.

What I've used the most in my AMK kits is that lil "splinter picker". :)

I'd say use it as is and for the most part just update as things expire or get used.
    • For bandages just use them up then restock with 4-6 knuckle bandages. Less room and more useful compared to the assortment.
    • Toss in a couple "burn jel" packets
    • When the antibiotics get used up maybe add in a small tube of Neosporin. The small size tube should fit fine and last a heck of a lot longer than two packets.
    • Consider adding (or replacing) a gauze pad with a non-adherent dressing
    • I haven't had good luck with butterfly closures. If/when you use them, replace with a pack of Steri-strips
    • I keep After Bite wipes in small kits and for larger kit I got one of the After Bite pen dispensers (not sure if that would fit in the First Aid 1.0 kit though).
    • Put a couple Ben's insect repellent wipes in case you forget your regular bug dope.
    • I carry a small vial of ibuprofen then one packet each of aspirin and Benadryl
    • 10 antiseptic wipes seems like a lot. I bought a box of alcohol wipes and restock with 4 of those. A box of a hundred was like three bucks, and I can light them with a ferro rod. :)
    Word of advice -- read every word of the printed first aid instructions. Forewarned is fore-armed.

Cheers,

Aaron

Seeker likes this.
  26. lil'mike

Blog Posts:
    I did add a couple of burn jel packets that I picked up. I will add or swap the gauze pad with a non-adherent one. I still have to go thru it and make sure everything listed is in there cause according to their website, they can sub stuff if they want to. I like the idea of using what is in there and then I will see what I need or use, then update it as needed.

Thx for the info, I appreciate it.

Seeker and aaronu like this.
  27. Medic17

Medic17 BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Its a good bo boo kit but it wont handle much outside of a bit of road rash or 2 stitch laceration at most.

At minimum you need a roll of gauze in there, preferably a roll of Kerlix.
    (Kerlix is more adsorbent than gauze.)
    And a pair of non latex gloves.

If I got that kit here is what I would add.

1 H&H Primed Gauze
    1 Pair of non latex Gloves
    1 5x7 thermal blanket AMK HeatSheets
    1 (2x3 or 3x4) Telfa Non Adhearant Pad
    A small pair of trauma shears

lil'mike and crewhead05 like this.
  28. werewolf won

werewolf won TANSTAAFL Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    The line “OSHA approved” in regards to FAK’s is meaningless. The only thing OSHA requires in a first aid kit is band-aids. You can have a paramedics kit with everything from backboards and IV drugs, but if it doesn’t have a band-aid in it you are getting fined.

Medic17 likes this.
  29. Foulwind

Foulwind Guide

Blog Posts:
    In the Redwoods, Santa Cruz Mountains, CA.
    I have a small tube of Neosporin , along with something like After- bite (?) to help reduce bug bite itching, and a small tube of Cortizone-10 cream added in my EDC FAK.
    My kit was purchased at Bass Pro Shop, it's the mid-sized (5X7" Maybe? zippered case, green)

lil'mike likes this.
  30. lil'mike

Blog Posts:
    Okay so today I was checking out the contents more closely of the AMK First Aid Kit 1.0 and guess what, the small compass does NOT work! The needle moves a little inside the compass but will not find North. I am not sure if I didn't give it enough time or if I am using it right but I will keep playing with it.

Besides this the kit seems to be pretty decent for me to use on things like a day hike/bike deal.

31. aaronu

Blog Posts:
    Small compass like that can experience problems from being around too many other sources of magnetism. Before you toss it out, see how it does on a trip in the woods.

And if it still fails -- get your money back or exchange for a kit that actually works.

lil'mike likes this.
  32. nomad orphan

nomad orphan Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I use rock climbers tape.
    $3 a roll... you can put it on underwater.
    Very sticky and tough.
    I put something clean over the wound then wrap...
    You can also use neosporin as it won't stick to oil/grease.

Non stick pads, alcohol wipes, iodine, tweezers, ibu, antihistamines, superglue, eyewash, climbers tape, neosporin, babywipes, cortizone... clean bandana.

Some of those have multiple uses...

Most kits I have seen are full of things I don't use and have to be added to anyways.

lil'mike likes this.
  33. Danny Boy

Danny Boy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Just an FYI, Dollar Store type stores are very good for buying first aid supplies.

34. freebirdfb

freebirdfb Guide

Blog Posts:
    I only skimmed through the above responses. I agree and advise you to put your own fak together. If you don't want to buy a case, you can use a zip lock bag.

Wasp likes this.
  35. saxonaxe

saxonaxe Scout

Blog Posts:
    When you assemble your own kit, in addition to all the medical items, can I suggest you include a small mirror? If you are riding your bike and get a facial injury from a thorn bush, low branch or even a tumble off your bike, you will struggle to apply any first aid if you can't see the problem.
    I have a small 4x3 inch stainless steel mirror in each of my First Aid Kits. The mirrors are sold in camping supply shops or by 'survival kit' type suppliers over here.

lil'mike likes this.
  36. lil'mike

Blog Posts:
    That's a good idea! My wife has a mirror on her bike but I don't on mine so if I go out solo which I will, I will be caught without one! Thx. :)