Looking for longbow suggestions

Discussion in 'Archery' started by Ken Fisher, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Ken Fisher

Ken Fisher Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I’m wanting to buy my first bow, I’d like to start with a traditional longbow. It’ll be only for target practice and for getting my form correct.

If possible I’d like to keep cost under $200.

Any thoughts or suggestions on brands or makers I should be looking at?

Thanks,
    Ken

Bryan King likes this.
  2. JeffG

JeffG Guide

Blog Posts:
    Ken Fisher and Bryan King like this.
  3. mjh

mjh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Maddog makes a nice inexpensive bow, a little more that you stated but won’t break the bank, or used, or 3RivesArchery, Lancaster Archery for intro bows to get you started

Ken Fisher and JeffG like this.
  4. JEB

JEB Guide

Blog Posts:
    Try and find a traditional shoot in your area and try a few out. Don't rush into your choice. 3 Rivers postage will dent your wallet. I quit buying from them long ago.

garry3, jasam and Ken Fisher like this.
  5. Jaeger

Jaeger Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    You might want to take a look at an imported bow called the Black Hunter. Lancaster Archery Supply sells them as the Galaxy Ember which is the version I have. I liked it so much I bought one for a friend. I bought his direct from China through this link. It is the exact same bow.
    The riser is laminated actionwood with an absolutely fantastic grip. The shelf is well radiused. You can get limbs between 30# and 60# . The limbs used bamboo cores with a black glass backing. The limb tips are very well done and are fastflight compatible.
    I have quite a few bows. Several of which are very expensive customs. This bow holds it's own! The grip is one of the best on any of my bows. The limbs draw smooth out to my 29" draw length and it is just a joy to shoot. You can get recurve limbs for it as well. This little bow is an amazing bargain, and with the interchangeable limbs, isn't something you are going to grow out of.
    https://www.mandarinduck.net/product-category/long-bow/

jasam, JeffG and Ken Fisher like this.
  6. Ken Fisher

Ken Fisher Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the suggestion, looks like a nice bow, I’ll be keeping it in mind.

7. talvey

talvey Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I second the recommendation of the Black Hunter long bow. I bought one off of amazon and have been shooting it every day for the past month. Great shooting bow for a shade over $100. I have a couple of Black Widow longbows, as well as other custom ones, but this Black Hunter will be going into the woods with me this coming deer season

Ken Fisher and Jaeger like this.
  8. Jaeger

Blog Posts:
    I don't know how they make a bow this good and sell it for this price. I was just talking about this with a friend yesterday. He was shooting his Black Hunter next to two of his high dollar customs and wondering what, besides looks, was the advantage of the customs.

Ken Fisher likes this.
  9. mjh

mjh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Advantage of custom?? Building a relationship with the builder. Choosing the exact wood/material combinations you want. Grip made to your specs. Draw weight exact to your needs and length. Off the shelf bows for adults are generally measured at 28 inches, I know more that few folks that draw 31 and 32 inches and many that draw less than 28inches. Support workers in your country of origin. Pay workers a living wage. I'm sure there are more.

It's great to be able to have choices that fits ones needs, desires, and budget and allows people to participate in archery and traditional bowhunting.

Ken Fisher and Jaeger like this.
  10. Jaeger

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, you’ll get no argument from me. I’ve got customs from Leon Stewart and Border and have had a lot of others over the years. You just start to hit that point of diminishing returns.

JeffG, Ken Fisher and mjh like this.
  11. JEB

JEB Guide

Blog Posts:
    The OP wrote that he would like to keep this first purchase under $200. He could buy 6 Black hunters for the cost of my custom Northern Mist so custom is not what he is looking for. I have never owned or shot a Black Hunter but the bow looks nice and falls well below your starting price which leaves you funds for some good arrows to match your new bow. I had thoughts of buying a Black hunter my self to give it a try. Keep us posted on what you buy and how you like your new purchase.

12. Ken Fisher

Ken Fisher Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thank you all for the advice and suggestions, after a lot of looking I settled on a friends gently used Fleetwood Frontier. 68”, 40 lbs at 28”, it’s been a blast learning to shoot!

B8CAA8D9-5E14-4ABA-95D8-8252E348195B.jpeg 5B8ACDAC-E4C0-4425-B748-18CF4C6239B8.jpeg A52F9B53-4B63-4774-9A31-782901B508F6.jpeg

longcruise, JeffG, bumma and 2 others like this.
  13. riokid87

riokid87 Scout Banned

Blog Posts:
    That looks exactly like my SAS. Pioneer, leather wrap too. Probably made in the same China factory.
    Mine is 45lb. Shoots pretty good but has noticeable shock, my back gets sore between my shoulder blades when I shoot it. But it's pretty accurate and quick.

JeffG and Ken Fisher like this.
  14. mjh

mjh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Good to see you found a bow and that your out enjoying it! Try to find some 3D shoots in your area. They can be lot fun!

15. JEB

JEB Guide

Blog Posts:
    good job. Now go lout and have fun.

16. billdawg

billdawg Scout

Blog Posts:
    this. I bought my first long bow form them for $180. One thing to look at, is to see if it has an arrow shelf or are you shooting off your hand? Off your hand it's not as consistent, IMHO, for obvious reasons

Ken Fisher and JeffG like this.
  17. longcruise

longcruise Scout

Blog Posts:
    Another place to look is rmsg.com. they probably have the largest inventory of used bows in the country. Talk to Tom, Tommy or Danny when you have questions. They are good people who know what they are talking about.

mjh and Ken Fisher like this.
  18. operatord

operatord Mora Tribe #574 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I’ve never shot one, but am curious about the black hunter myself. The people I know who do own one rave about them.

19. Hillbilly stalker

Hillbilly stalker Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have a Black Hunter longbow. Its a great shooter. I've owned more expensive ones, but the BH will shoot with any of them.

Ken Fisher likes this.