Looking for some good saw recommendations

Discussion in 'General Bushcraft Discussion' started by MaddHatter, Jun 13, 2019.

1. MaddHatter

MaddHatter Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Some years ago, everyone went on and on about the Bahco saw so I got one. Never been thrilled about it. It feels was like I have to do a lot of extra work. I just tried taking it through a 2 inch piece of basswood and it was a real chore I couldn’t even make a full cut. I know that I am a noob but it doesn’t seem like it should be that difficult to work with. To be fair I did lend it to a friend and got it back slightly bent so I know that is a factor too. Anyone got any recommendations on a good saw thats still field worthy?

BBizy, Mick Badgero, Sosteve and 3 others like this.
  2. Wasp

Wasp DOWN IN DIXIE Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    It won't work well bent. Most saws work better on the pull cut. I don't have one but a Silky is really popular and I've always wanted one.
    Bahco is pretty popular though and mine seems to work well.

BBizy, Mick Badgero, Sosteve and 4 others like this.
  3. Red Yeti

Red Yeti Mostly Harmless Hobbyist Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Silky is my favorite for using, but they can be easily bent by those not used to the skinny blade and pull stroke cutting, so Bacho for lending....

:38:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    BBizy, Mick Badgero, Sosteve and 6 others like this.
  4. MaddHatter

MaddHatter Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Lol yes I know...thats what I get for lending out my tools. Too be fair, I was out on an overnight fishing trip with my brother and his friend.

5. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Seems like I just wrote out a long essay on saws for a post recently.. might have been a thread about the Corona... in a nutshell, I own three folding saws; the Corona, the Silky PocketBoy, and the Bahco. They all have strengths and weaknesses, and they are all useful for certain things, less so for others. The Bahco and Silky go with me the most.

6. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    You can buy only the blade but it costs almost as much as the saw where I've looked.

7. Red Yeti

Red Yeti Mostly Harmless Hobbyist Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    You can usually get at least most of the bends out by bending over something opposite the bend.

:38:

8. MaddHatter

MaddHatter Tracker

Blog Posts:

9. MaddHatter

MaddHatter Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Oh Ive tried. Ive even stepped on it trying to use my weight to bend it back. Its the end of it thats all bent and it refuses to budge.

BBizy, Mick Badgero, Sosteve and 2 others like this.
  10. the_dude

the_dude Guide

Blog Posts:
    Silky's and other Japanese pull saws are beautiful, cut well, and bend easily. For a folding saw, my recommendation.

If you can stand a non-folding saw, ive carried one of these in the woods for years (in a homemade cardboard sheath). It cuts really well, doesnt take up much room or weight, and does NOT bend easily. Plus, cheap.

31A5MTF6FYL._AC_SY400_.jpg

And mine:

IMG_8867.jpg

BBizy, Mick Badgero, DF Bob and 7 others like this.
  11. MaddHatter

MaddHatter Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Nice sheath mod! I am looking at fix blades too but the narrower pruning style ones. I saw a youtuber really liking the samurai saw. That one is just under $40

12. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    There is a Bahco Pruning saw that has ldss teeth per inch. I think its called the JB or JP blade?

I generally like the medium teeth like on the Bahco Laplander.

Have you tried the saw on a SAK? I mean...I know it wouldn't fit a lot of scenarios, but those little saws are champs at small stuff up to a 2" or so.

Mick Badgero, Sosteve and victoratsea like this.
  13. MaddHatter

MaddHatter Tracker

Blog Posts:
    SAK? Not familiar with that. I think I might just go with a new Bahco for now. Saving for a grandfors burks axe. I think the two of them should get me pretty far. Anything else I can just fire cut.

14. to Ha

to Ha Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    SAK= Swiss Army Knife

15. MaddHatter

MaddHatter Tracker

Blog Posts:
    ah...never heard it called that before. Around here, people would just call it swiss army knife, or pocket knife. Sorry bout that!

16. Stone

Stone Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Mine are all Silky. Except for one I never use that was all the rage...it's a triangular bowsaw that comes apart into a straight piece that all fits in the handle. Ya need tools to put it together, and if you lose a nut or screw your saw is not very functional. I replaced it with a Silky...then bought three or four more Silkys, including a large one.

17. victoratsea

victoratsea Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Get a Corona, they cut much better than the Bahco. You can get them for about $ 20 at Lowes or Home depot. If they don't stock them at your local store, they can order it for you. They come in 10", 8", and 7" sizes. I like the 7" straight blade (RS 7240) for pocket carry, and the 10" to carry in a pack. IME the Coronas cut just as good as the Silky. The Silky saws are better build quality, hence the higher price, but cut no better than the Corona.
    Victor

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  18. Theangrywelder

Theangrywelder Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have two different saws that I use. I have tired several including some of the ones mentioned and like with most things there is never one tool that is best for all applications. So what I do is pack depending on what other tools I am carrying with me and what kind of trip I am planning. If its a simple over nighter and I know wood is easily processed I carry a Silky Gomboy. Just keep in mind that most saw with this form factor are designed to cut on the pull stroke so you won't bend and break the blade. If I need to process more or bigger wood then I carry a Boreal 21. The Boreal is by far my favorite saw and if I were only buying one saw its would be my go to saw. To be honest if I had the Boreal before I bought the Gomboy then I wouldn't have ever bought the Gomboy.

https://www.amazon.com/Agawa-Canyon...rds=boreal+21&qid=1560492858&s=gateway&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/Professional-Folding-Landscaping-GOMBOY-121-21/dp/B000CEAX8S

19. Glenn Rowe

Glenn Rowe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I also have several saws. My first was a Sven Saw. I still have it and swear by it, though it does take a bit of setting-up.

I also have a Bahco Laplander and a Silky Gomboy. I like the Laplander just a tad better because it seems "handier" than the Gomboy. (There's nothing like subjective measures, right?)

I just recently added a Gerber Freescape on which, based on the recommendation of a friend, I replaced the Gerber blade with a Bahco blade. The jury's still out, but it's lookin' good.

IMHO, the number-one criteria for any piece of gear is the degree of trust you place in it. I'd rather carry trusted gear, even if it doesn't perform quite as well as other, less-trusted items. To me this means that, all things being equal, I'd rather carry the Sven Saw or the Gerber Freescape. Even though they are more limited on the thickness of material they can cut, the blades are secured on both ends and far less likely to bend under heavy use.

But that's just me. As always, YMMV.

BBizy, Mick Badgero and victoratsea like this.
  20. Hiwa

Hiwa Guide

Blog Posts:
    If you can afford it and carry it , the Silky Katanaboy can easily keep up with your campfire needs without burning a lot of calories , provided you have wood to cut that is. 500 mm blade. Closed about 2 ft. and shoulder slung.
    I use a Gomboy 240 for just small stuff, but could make do with just that.
    Gave my Bahco's to the wife for garden pruning. Not a good cutting saw , Imo.

21. RiceOnSuede

RiceOnSuede Scout

Blog Posts:
  22. Todd1hd

Todd1hd Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I own a Silky, a Bahco, and a Corona just because I can :59:. And if I really need to cut something quick I use the Corona. However, with any of the three you do have to be cognizant of them being "pull" saws. If you don't keep that in mind, you will bend or break any or all one of them.

23. mtwarden

mtwarden roaming the Big Sky Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I at one time owned almost every small saw out there (Fiskars/Gerber, Bahco, a couple of Sven's, a couple of Opinals, a Wyoming saw, various Silky's)- now I own a couple of Silky's- a small one for trips where weight is a major concern, a medium one for when it's less a concern and a large one that take's the place of lugging a chain saw in my truck for dead/down trees

none of the others saws were bad really, but none cut like the Silky does

24. Big ian

Big ian Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have a 36" Swede saw (cuts the best, inexpensive but bulky), a folding Fiskars (inexpensive but does reasonably well and fits in a small pack) and the previous incarnation of the Filzer Buckster saw (somewhat pricier, cuts well with a sizeable throat for a take-down, but annoying to set up and take down repetitively). If I were to buy again I would like to try a Bob Dustrude Quick Buck saw, they look pretty convenient if a little heavy.

25. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    If you ever have a chance to get a Dustrude, you won't regret it. It's the best cutting saw I have ever used. I don't really think it's heavy, and carry mine regularly. :)

26. LFowler

LFowler Scout

Blog Posts:
    I think the most underrated saw is the Vaughan Bear Saw. Its $25 at a farm and ranch store if you can find it, or maybe slightly more online. The version I use has a 13" japanese made blade, and is only 1oz heavier then the much smaller silky in the picture:

[​IMG]

It out cuts the silky in almost exact proportion to its size, so I'm extrapolating that a silky with a similarly sized blade would cut exactly the same at a much higher weight, and easily 3x the cost. I find the reduced weight of fixed saws more then makes up for the added bulk, and when considering how easily they slide down the side of a pack with a DIY cardboard scabbard (I'm still using the original packaging with some added tape and a spare blade) its a no-brainer.

The bear saw has several sizes and coarsenesses of teeth available, I swap out a medium tooth 10" blade for projects around the house.

For EDC I carried a small fiskars sliding saw that was smaller and lighter then most folding saws at a very appealing price ($8?) but I lost it the other day to TSA and have replaced it with a slightly smaller and much pricier Opinel saw that I have not tried yet.

27. SkipJunkie

SkipJunkie Scout

Blog Posts:
    Depends on what I'm doing . But I carry a 12" bow saw . I can purchase blades for anything that I might have to cut in this length . And I have never needed larger to accomplish camp chores .

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  28. Big ian

Big ian Scout

Blog Posts:
    I was afraid of that. :17: For the record I don't think it's too heavy, just heavier than the other options I've used, and likely only noticeable on a scale. If it's as much more convenient as it looks, it'd be worth it.

To be fair, the takedown was one of my first saw purchases and it works well enough to keep around. I'll just have to break it to justify another buy :54:.

29. oldpinecricker

oldpinecricker Guide

Blog Posts:
    SAK or Leatherman with small saw
    Silky folding pocket saw
    Silky fixed blade arbor saw
    Silky 650 Katanaboy

Those will accomplish all that needs be done.

And BTW, the folks who are the big dogs of "bushcraft" haven't demonstrated to my satisfaction how to properly use a saw and sometimes an axe when it comes to tree felling and bucking. Some of the Silky saws have features that allow them to work in instances just cannot. It's about the right tool for the job.

30. Lars

Lars Angry German

Blog Posts:
    This is my favorite: Boreal 21

https://agawacanyoninc.com/pages/boreal21

I also have a Bob Dustrude's 24", 21" Sven Saw, Samurai, bunch of no name saws, 24" Bahco Bow saw, several small Silkys, and a nice Silky Bigboy 2000 (that is sadly in 2-pieces). Not an axe guy. ;)

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    victoratsea, BBizy and Mick Badgero like this.
  31. Mick Badgero

Mick Badgero Scout

Blog Posts:
    Just got a SAK Rangergrip 78. The 4" saw on it is pretty impressive for its size. Been using a Silky 650 for a while now and prefer it even to my chain saw.

I've heard a Corona is best with a slice of lime...

victoratsea and oldpinecricker like this.
  32. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    That Boreal has been on my radar to try. I've used, and I have, a load of saws, but the Boreal has escaped me this far. :)

BBizy, Mick Badgero and Lars like this.
  33. Bush Billy

Bush Billy Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    This is one of the great things about this forum. To hear real experiences and honest opinions is most valuable. I really like my Silky Pocketboy, Gomboy, and Bigboy. My SAK Rangerwood has a wicked saw on it for its size as well. If I were to loose any of these saws I wouldn't hesitate to replace it with the exact same saw.

victoratsea, BBizy and Mick Badgero like this.
  34. woodsranger

woodsranger Solitude Seeker

Blog Posts:
    Silky Pocketboy 170 here. I only saw smallish pieces of wood (2-3") so for me, no need for anything bigger.

35. Galen blazer

Galen blazer Scout

Blog Posts:
    I bought a stihl folding saw this winter with a x mas gift card saw was 20 bux and i am super happy with it. It cuts up to 3 in super easy super fast i bought it at a runnings but im sure they are at any stihl dealership

victoratsea likes this.
  36. Skippie

Skippie Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Deepest, Darkest jungle of central Minnesota
    Best saw I ever used is the Bob Dustrude folding bucksaw, I will not use another bucksaw. I got mine from the fourdog stove conpany.

victoratsea likes this.
  37. Willied2111

Willied2111 Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    I just bought a silky after having used a cheap no-name folding saw for years. I was kind of amazed. I knew it was going to be better but I was surprised by how much better it was. I got the gomboy with the 270mm blade. I like it a lot.

victoratsea likes this.