Looking to try bowfishing

Discussion in 'Archery' started by wadragunov, Mar 10, 2018.

1. wadragunov

wadragunov Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I've been wanting to try bowfishing for a while now. A coworker and I were discussing it and he offered to take me sometime. So, I dug out my father's old bowfishing gear, still can't find one arrow. I'm looking to find another arrow like the one below.

Attached Files:

2. Glock Holiday

Glock Holiday Scout

Blog Posts:
    If you and your father have different draw lengths you should use different length arrows. I have longer arms than my dad.

Zunga and CivilizationDropout like this.
  3. CivilizationDropout

CivilizationDropout -MOA #17-MYOG #71- Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    You may be able to fabricate one, but midwest archery supply has them, I think.

Zunga and Glock Holiday like this.
  4. wadragunov

Blog Posts:
    Glock Holiday, if I were going to be bow hunting I would but all the bowfishing arrows I've looked at have all been the same length.

CivilizationDropout, I may have to make one. All the searches for midwest archery supply says it has closed.

Zunga and Glock Holiday like this.
  5. boisdarc

boisdarc Scout

Blog Posts:
    Its a blast, where I live only rough fish are allowed. Remember the water paralax?, where you actually need to shoot a bit under and a bit behind your fish. It wouldn't hurt to actually have a spare point, just in case you mess up. Most points unscrew to unlock the barbs so they can swing forward to release your fish. Good luck. Carp taste good, don't let anyone tell you different.

6. Duncsquatch

Duncsquatch Heed the call. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Don't forget the bullfrogs, they are an invasive species in many areas and can be taken with the bow. In Wa you only need a fishing license to do it too.

7. wadragunov

Blog Posts:
    If i understood the regulations correctly, as long as it isn't considered a game fish I can bowfish for it.

8. garry3

garry3 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have been doing it for a number of years and use a reel much like you posted. The only thing I could really recommend for you especially starting out is to get the arrows with the safety slides so that the string stays out in front of you. And a wooden fish bonker works better than a beer bottle and floats.

9. JEB

JEB Guide

Blog Posts:
    Kind if an odd looking carp head on that arrow wagdragunov. It looks more like a frog spear head.

We sold carp rigs back in the 60's. The arrows are all pretty much the same length and carp shooting heads varied but most either un-screwed or the barb turned so you can pull the arrow out of the fish. I would check with traditional archery sales for carp rigs for your extra arrows or look for solid fiberglass rods and use one of them. You don' t need the rubber fletching for your arrows. You can shoot them bare shaft.

10. wadragunov

Blog Posts:
    jeb, the missing arrow is a carp type arrow.

Garry, I'm putting safety slides on the arrows. I've already put a slider on the arrow in the picture.

garry3 likes this.