Louisiana Meetup

Discussion in 'Louisiana' started by Nonc-Tobe, Jul 6, 2016.

1. Nonc-Tobe

Nonc-Tobe I call it a black pot

Blog Posts:
    Guys I know its hot now,but I just wanted to see if anyone would be interested in a meetup before hunting season kicks off again.Maybe some kind of canoe or kayak campout.Id be good with anything and really any part of the state

MidSouthOutdoors, RMAR and Forestree like this.
  2. Forestree

Forestree Treeforest Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I'd be up for it, though my schedule changed and now I work weekends. If there is enough interest and we can solidify a date then I can put in to take off work.....would be best for me sometime in August. Planning to head over to the Texas meet in early September as well. A canoe trip would be great and I know of a really nice camping spot on Toledo bend....only about a mile paddle back up in a cove. Sabine river would be another good option.....not sure how the put-in/takeout spot at Burr ferry is with the bridge work going on? Could also just do a camp here or somewhere on the national forest along the creek. I'm good for whatever as well

MidSouthOutdoors, Nonc-Tobe and RMAR like this.
  3. Nonc-Tobe

Blog Posts:
    Man I'd be all in for a toledo bend trip. I work call out and a crazy schedule too but I can take off with enough notice, but like I said I'm good with just about any area

MidSouthOutdoors and Forestree like this.
  4. Forestree

Blog Posts:
    Cool, guess we're decided on the weekend of August 20 for a canoe camp on Toledo Bend. Not sure if we should start another thread, but just in case someone else was reading and interested.....there it is. Sounds like some other folks are interested as well. Will be a good time, looking forward to it!

Seeker and MidSouthOutdoors like this.
  5. BayRat91

BayRat91 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Going to have to miss this one. Sounds like it is going to be a nice trip. Kids heading back to school and have one last vacation planned with the family. Make sure to post some pictures after the meet and appreciate you putting this together.

6. Forestree

Blog Posts:
    I am going to plan on paddling out on Friday Aug. 19 and heading back home on Sunday Aug. 21. The put in spot is on South Toledo bend not too far from the dam and only about a mile paddle. Depending on the wind, I have seen whitecaps on the lake but pretty calm back up in the cove. The cell service with AT&T is zero out there, so will need to make sure folks know where to go. It's pretty easy to find and I'll paddle back to the put in to meet folks that may be arriving later. Will be a good time!

Seeker and MidSouthOutdoors like this.
  7. Forestree

Blog Posts:
    If anyone wants to go but doesn't have a boat, there is a canoe rental place right close to the put in tackapaw.com Have never done business with them, but they are the closest business and seem to be pretty active. I can help shuttle canoes if needed

8. Forestree

Blog Posts:
    About a month out now and from last the last I've heard via pm's is that there's about a half dozen folks planning and a few maybes. I have an extra canoe that's still available as of now (will need to bring own paddles and PFDs) that I'll bring along if anyone needs a boat. If the weather turns bad then the put in spot is also a good base camp site as well :D Beautiful open lakeside woods, shade from big trees, great fishing and swimming, and secluded. Looking forward to it!

MidSouthOutdoors likes this.
  9. Forestree

Blog Posts:
    Here's some pictures from when I was back up in there a couple months ago

Put in spot

055.JPG

The cove (all public national forest land here)

057.JPG

Coon point camp

069.JPG

The camp site

072.JPG

BC_Slider and MidSouthOutdoors like this.
  10. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    That rednecky area between Baltimore and Philly.
    That looks really nice Forestree... seems to me I said I'm in on another thread while I was on vacation, but I can't seem to find it again... I'll try to come Friday after work, but I'm teaching that week, and may not be able to get off early... we'll see how it goes.... it's light til about 9 these days, so I should be ok. Even if not, I can come in Saturday on my own.

Which public boat launch is it? And do you have a grid coordinate for "Coon Point"? Given both of those, I can find my way.

11. Nonc-Tobe

Blog Posts:
    Yea Man I cant wait,should be a good time and new friends!Im still planning on meeting there Friday

12. Forestree

Blog Posts:
    @Seeker – The other thread was just a group pm (or "conversation" as it's now called) I sent out to folks that I thought might be interested and something we talked about at the last TX meet. The launch site is just a place I found down an unmaintained forest service woods road. I posted a couple google earth photos in the conversation of the put in site and camp site….don’t have any grid coordinates but I can give good directions. There is one little hill that might be an issue for a car….gonna check it out again before the trip. A 2 wheel drive pickup can make it, but regardless I’ll help get everyone’s boat and gear to the water. Once we get an official headcount then we can work out the logistics and I’ll make sure everyone has good directions. It’s only a mile paddle back to the site so as long as folks give me a meet up time then I can be there at the launch to help out. I’m still planning to be there on Friday afternoon. Anyone can pm for questions. Looking forward to it!

13. Seeker

Blog Posts:
    Aha. Got it over Tapatalk (which I'm not really fond of) while on vacation, just after the new software went into effect, so I was still figuring things out (actually, I'm STILL figuring things out.) I went back into "conversations" and found it all... should have no trouble finding it. Thanks.

14. Forestree

Blog Posts:
    Less than three weeks out now!

Seeker likes this.
  15. Seeker

Blog Posts:
    Hey Forestree!

Which of the three roads at the end is it? Looks like the first one that goes north toward the water, away from those other buildings? Or is it one of the other two that go NE or East?

16. Forestree

Blog Posts:
    @Seeker - I'm not sure exactly which roads you're speaking of. Maybe post a screen shot in the trip "conversation" message....give me a little bit and I'll have some detailed maps to give to those that are coming

17. Seeker

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, i was talking about the map you sent a couple weeks ago... there are 3 terminal points... no worries. They're only a couple hundred feet apart, and I'll figure it out.

18. OMRebel

OMRebel Meanderer of the Piney Woods Supporter Hardwoodsman Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I'm new to this forum, but this sure sounds like a lot of fun! Ya'll got room for one more?

19. Seeker

Blog Posts:
    I see you found your way to this thread (I mentioned it in your introduction thread). Good!

Have you got a canoe? or do you need a seat?

OMRebel likes this.
  20. OMRebel

OMRebel Meanderer of the Piney Woods Supporter Hardwoodsman Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Hi Seeker,
    Not sure if I can yet, but gonna try. If I do I will need seat for sure. How do you guys normally pack? Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

21. Seeker

Blog Posts:
    To some folks, canoeing IS car camping, especially given the short distance to paddle. Personally, I'll probably go pretty light for this trip. Other meetups, where it IS car camping, heavy. Someone will likely bring a larger tarp for the fire, but I always try to come prepared to take care of myself. Bring everything you need to sustain yourself (food, water, first aid, tools, shelter, folding chair, etc) without mooching off others. There will likely be a common fire for cooking, but I bring a backup stove just in case (and when it's this hot, I don't like cooking over a fire much.) Sometimes there is a common meal due to someone's generosity (Forestree and Jeffro come to mind), but that's more often in the car camping scenario. I will probably bring my hammock setup and maybe my Whelen tarp, just so people can see how I made it, and as a place for me to get out of the rain if there is any (and still be able to talk to folks, vs hunkering up under my hammock tarp.) Sharp toys are usually brought in abundance too, for show and tell, but again, being that this is a light trip for me, I'll keep it lighter than car camping.

I've only got a 14' solo canoe, and could squeeze a small person in in a pinch (used to carry my dog and/or my daughter when she was little). However, I only have the one paddle, no spare lifejacket, and little room for extra baggage.

Forestree likes this.
  22. OMRebel

Blog Posts:
    Thanks, Seeker. If I need I can rent a canoe. Question about water: is it okay to boil the water from the lake, or does it need further treating? Or should I bring several gallons?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

23. Nonc-Tobe

Blog Posts:
    Glad to see you may be comin. It should be a fun trip. About the water, I'll be bringing water with me

24. Nonc-Tobe

Blog Posts:
    Get with Forestree, I think he knows of a canoe rental place in the area

25. Seeker

Blog Posts:
    LA water is usually sketchy, since we're the kidneys of the entire Mississippi River watershed, if you ask me. The water in Toledo Bend is from the Sabine, which is not always murky. It's probably ok to boil, but filtering won't remove the chemicals from farm runoff washed into the Sabine upstream. I plan to bring a 5 gallon jug with about 3 gallons in it.

Just for future trips, in the Kisatchie NF there's little farm run-off, and the water's clear-ish especially after a few days of rain. I'll drink it (treated, filtered, or boiled) only because I have to. But I only really trust Adirondack or Smokies water (which usually gets treated unless it's a spring I'm sure of.)

The canoe rental place, I think, is Tack-a-Paw, out of Toro Bayou, not too far away.

26. Forestree

Blog Posts:
    Just got back in town.....Heck yeah OMRebel, you are more than welcome to come along. I added you to the trip "conversation" where we've been discussing the details

Seeker likes this.
  27. Xpraetor

Xpraetor Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hello fellow Louisianians.

I stumbled upon this thread, and I'm positive the upcoming meet will be very enjoyable.

Please be sure to share pictures / tales afterward.

28. Forestree

Blog Posts:
    Sounds like there'll be at least a half dozen of us bushwhackers showing up at this point. Can't wait and it'll be good times :)

29. Xpraetor

Xpraetor Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hope you guys in the south - southeast are safe with all the flooding. We experienced a similar event where I live back in the spring.

I know this is not the proper thread, I'm unable to start a thread due to being new to the forum....

30. Forestree

Blog Posts:
    Three more days...can't wait!

Still not too late for anyone else wanting to join

Seeker likes this.