Louisiana Meetup

Discussion in 'Louisiana' started by OMRebel, Jul 30, 2018.

1. OMRebel

OMRebel Meanderer of the Piney Woods Supporter Hardwoodsman Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    It's been a big chunk of time since we've had a group meeting, so I figured I get a thread going to discuss a possible trip for Labor Day weekend (31 Aug - 3 Sep). I'm open to doing something later in the month when it may be a bit cooler, Labor Day seems to be a long weekend for most. Here are some options:

-Car camping
    -Canoe trip (Coon point, Toledo Bend)
    -Hiking trip (High Ridge Trail)
    -Something else?

If I can get a consensus on what everyone wants to do I can put together possible locations. Most of what I know is in the Kisatchie NF, but I am open to other parts of the state as well.

This list is meant to tag those who I know may be interested, but is not conclusive. Everyone is welcome to join, so please let me know if you are interested:
    @Seeker @Nonc-Tobe @MidSouthOutdoors @Hammbone @saustin1967 @Hoof @Woodsman Wannabe @Micah @Dfox002 @herbay870 @kisatchieman @Craazyhoss and a special courtesy invite to @Forestree (give Jason my number if he would like to join us, we'd love to have him).

Please let me know if you are interested or have any suggestions. For those who may not be able to make that weekend, we can start planning a second trip for later, just say the word. If any of ya'll live in other areas of the state and would like us to do something in your area, say the word.

2. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    That rednecky area between Baltimore and Philly.
    I'll have my bow stand in the weekend before that, so that's not an issue. But the average temp is 90*F hi, 70 lo... That's hot. IF I go anywhere overnight (and I'm getting to be an old wuss about it), it would have to be a water trip... so my vote is for Coon Point, and that's if it's cool.

Depending on how work goes, I'm trying to take two weeks off in early October (canoeing in NY), so aside from that, I'll probably hunt straight through from Sept til Thanksgiving, though about 3/4 of the time I score either the last weekend of October or the first weekend of November...

That second week of November is the real start of the camping season for me... it's cooled down a little, and an overnighter anywhere in the KHWA would be fine with me by then. It can still get warm, so a short trip to the base of Rainbow Point or out to my hill would be good then, as there's reliable water.

Hoof, Forestree and OMRebel like this.
  3. Seeker

Blog Posts:
    Hoof and OMRebel like this.
  4. Johnathon Harding

Johnathon Harding Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Maybe canoeing down the neches river that weekend if it comes up don't feel much like dragging the whole way!

Hoof, Seeker and OMRebel like this.
  5. OMRebel

OMRebel Meanderer of the Piney Woods Supporter Hardwoodsman Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    @Seeker yep, it'll still be hot so a paddle trip may be the way to go. I'm always good for Coon point.

@Johnathon Harding I'd like to hear more about the neches river, sounds interesting.

Hoof and Seeker like this.
  6. Seeker

Blog Posts:
    I've done part of the Neches... From the dam on the South end of Steinhagen Lake to the take out on FM 1013. Overnighter, 16 miles? It was pretty nice, but I think I'd like Toledo Bend better (shorter).

7. OMRebel

Blog Posts:
    Map recon of the Neches looks good. Looks like you can camp any where along the river.

Of course, Coon Point (south Toledo bend) is always good. It's a 1 mile paddle to the campsite. Last time me and Sam went we had luck with cat fish.

Hopefully some others will be interested. If anyone has any skills they would like to demonstrate that would be fun too.

8. herbay870

herbay870 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    New to the site, but for my 2 cents, I am always up for a canoe trip, South Central Louisiana is better, but I am willing to strap up the boat and make a reasonable jaunt. Overnight sounds great as well. By the way, where is Coon Point at Toledo Bend, I can't find it on Google Maps?.........

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  9. OMRebel

Blog Posts:
    Coon Point is not an official place, just a place where we have all met several times. It is located on the South west portion of Toledo bend in Buck Creek area (on the TX side which is in the national forest). I'll give more specific directions in a group message once we see who all is interested.

So at this time we have three for Coon Point. For those on the fence, here is a link to a past trip to Coon Point. I missed out on that one, but we always have a good time.

Hoof, Forestree and Seeker like this.
  10. Seeker

Blog Posts:
    @Forestree and his friend Jason named it that after they ran into a coon on their first trip there.

Hoof and Forestree like this.
  11. MidSouthOutdoors

MidSouthOutdoors Tracker Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Still early for me to know for sure, taking vacation sometimes in Sept. but if its a trip to (Coon Point) I don't have a boat,canoe or kayak and don't feel like swimming my gear a couple of miles fore n aft...lol

12. OMRebel

Blog Posts:
    I'll have an extra seat on my canoe, so don't let that deter you if you want to come. :dblthumb:

Hoof and MidSouthOutdoors like this.
  13. Seeker

Blog Posts:
    Somebody will have a seat for you, but worst case you can walk in from the road... I've been meaning to mark the trail out and back. It's 500m as the crow flies, probably more like 750 when you go around everything.

Hoof, MidSouthOutdoors and OMRebel like this.
  14. OMRebel

Blog Posts:
    Looks like we have a project!

15. saustin1967

saustin1967 Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    TXBC - Annual GLAMPING trip - Ratcliff lake recreation area September 7 - 9th

Might be up for some LA fun in the forest, before then.
    Keep me posted.

16. saustin1967

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, I have looked at a land way there before. Not far, just don't know about how thick the brush is.
    I have a canoe now as well. Maybe a paddle bush wack a trail fro next time or non-nautical campers.

@houstondiscdog - you might want in on this one also.

17. OMRebel

Blog Posts:
    The issue with marking a trail is where for could park. Certainly need to check it out though.

Hoof likes this.
  18. OMRebel

Blog Posts:
    @saustin1967 if I can get permission I may come on out to the TX meet. Been wanting to get to one.

Hoof and Young Blacksmith like this.
  19. Forestree

Forestree Treeforest Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Oh man, I'd be in for sure if I was still there.....always good times out at Coon point! If y'all end up needing another boat, my 16' Dagger canoe is still in LA at a neighbor's house and I can put y'all in touch. I couldn't manage to get it here and am actually probably gonna try to sell it because it isn't really worth a trip back to retrieve it. Holler if you know anyone who's interested. Hope y'all have fun and take some pictures! I want to see some catfish on the fire :D

That was fun and can't believe it's already been 2 years since then! Where the heck is @Nonc-Tobe anyway?

It was a whole family of coons huddled up in a fur ball on an oak limb for 2 days!

The brush shouldn't be real bad and only in spots that you could walk around. I did some hiking out there and the woods are relatively open as the area has been burned in the past. Shouldn't be too bad of a hike.....especially if you load up the cast iron and coolers on the canoes! We scouted some other spots along the shore line earlier this year and there's other nice spots as well, just not as big and flat of an area as Coon point

Hoof, Seeker, OMRebel and 1 other person like this.
  20. OMRebel

Blog Posts:
    @Forestree won't be the same without you! We'll take plenty of pictures and will be sure to put a catfish on the fire just for you (read, IF we can catch one, lol).

Hoof and Forestree like this.
  21. Young Blacksmith

Young Blacksmith Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'd love to do Coon Point, but the Glamping trip will be the earliest I can get out. I'll certainly keep an eye on the meetups forum though for next time!

Hoof, Seeker and OMRebel like this.
  22. herbay870

herbay870 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I am officially in, I was also wondering if a friend of mine could come, he isn't very computer savvy but very interested in bushcraft and self reliance. Also is there a "gear list" (sorry had to ask, I am used to dealing with boy scout / girl scout events), any gear frowned upon?

Hoof likes this.
  23. Seeker

Blog Posts:
    I'm probably the bluntest of the group... I'm older and don't put up with much foolishness anymore... That and my yankee upbringing. So here's MY take on "rules".

Gear isn't usually an issue except when you go so light/short that you're mootching off others. So don't come ask me for toilet paper or a spoon, at least not on your first trip... this is bushcraft, and I expect you to use leaves or make a spoon. My patience with others is fed by the number of times they've been reliable camping partners. I've done several hard backpacking trips with OMRebel, Forestree, and MidSouthOutdoors, and know that they are self sufficient.

If you come prepared to take care of yourself, you're good. There is no such thing as too many axes, saws, knives, or tarps. We all like gear show and tell, though it's much easier on car camping trips. On some trips, there's a group feed... Non-Tobe's "black pot" (Cajun for "cast iron") meals are famous. Over in Texas, Jeffro practically runs a chuckwagon all weekend (and won't take a dime for it... so I sneak a bag of charcoal under the wagon when he's not looking.) Jason and Forestree would sometimes treat us to a giant 'mountain man breakfast'. On this trip, no one's chimed in yet and said "i'll feed everybody", so take that as "be self sufficient." At some point, we'll discuss who is for sure bringing a larger group tarp (but I've been at meets too where we all tied our own stuff together into a group shelter, and at others where we had no rain and just set up our own campsites and sat around a common fire.) Last time, OMRebel and maybe Forestree set one up (2 actually) and we never used it because the rain held off.

There is likely to be a common cook/camp fire. Just respect others who are cooking on it by not drying your socks on it at the same time. Pitch in when it's time to gather wood, saw it up, and split it. Everyone likes a helper. No one likes a bum.

As young folks are welcome and sometimes present, don't cuss (well, as little as you can anyway)... along similar lines, if you bring a kid, make him/her mind.... We shouldn't be the ones telling him not to throw a knife or a hawk toward the camp, or correcting his mis-use of an air gun.

Bathroom. There tends to be a circle or oval. In the middle is the fire. Around that are individual camps, tents, hammocks... outside that is 'the woods.' Please go THERE, 50+ yards out, to do your business, including liquid... I should not be able to see you pee from the fire, exception being when you get up at 2am. Bury your solids.

Dogs. Most people are too nice to say this, but sorry, not everyone likes your dog or thinks he's cute. And not all dogs are actually behaving when their owners think they are. I've met very few (including my own) that I would take camping. I should not have to watch my food, flee a wet animal shaking off, or have to sit 'high' (vs on the ground) because a dog is walking around aimlessly, not to mention cleaning up after they pee somewhere they shouldn't have.

Firearms. Most of us carry. Everyone likes to show and tell, and that's a lot of fun. Just be responsible. See below.

Trash. Bring a trashbag. Someone usually brings and hangs a group one. Please, use it... and don't let that guy be the one stuck bringing it out in his canoe without offering to take part of it.

Alcohol. A couple beers or shots is ok... But no one likes to be in the company of someone who's had too much... how much is too much? personally, 2 beers is about what I think most people should have. After that, whether they notice or not, they get 'different', and it's usually not pleasant. And if you're planning on drinking, you oughtn't be armed.

Also, this isn't a time to stay up all night raising cain... Sure, people stay up and talk all night; some of us only see one another one these trips. But people are generally courteous enough to keep their voices down after the first person goes to bed.

THG2002, Blu, backlasher and 4 others like this.
  24. OMRebel

Blog Posts:
    You can absolutely bring your friend! As far as a gear list, bring what you can fit in your canoe. I'll be using a hammock set up for sleeping but you can do a tent or whatever you like. Food...whatever you like. Sometimes folks will cook somethin special for the group, but thats not mandatory or gauranteed so be prepared with your own stuff. I'll probably cook something in my dutch oven.

Water, or a way to treat water.

Guns, knives? Bring em. Alcohol? Yes, but please be moderate. We sometimes have a kid or two and dont want to set bad examples.

Anything bushcrafty. If you have a favorite skill and would like to teach it, or have something you want to learn that someone else is good at, we would love to learn from each other.

Looking forward to meeting ya'll!

Edit, lol, Seeker beat me to it!

backlasher, herbay870 and Seeker like this.
  25. saustin1967

Blog Posts:
    I agree with you on all of you points here Seeker, except maybe you being the bluntest of this group. We might have a few that will give you a run for your money, myself included.

I am working out the logistics of this one, would really like to give the new boat a run and see how it does.

26. saustin1967

Blog Posts:
    If this is set, then I will cross post this over there, see if we can pull some from Texas.

I'm by the way.

Seeker, herbay870 and OMRebel like this.
  27. herbay870

herbay870 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Seeker, OMRebel, saustin1967, I could not be happier with the bluntness and the expectations! Looks to me that I may have found some like minded people (as far as camping is concerned lol). I did the Cub Master bit and I am familiar with the bum types (parents and kids) and cannot stand them. I will be responsible for my friend and truly look forward to this trip! Thank you all so much for being so welcoming.

Seeker and OMRebel like this.
  28. saustin1967

Blog Posts:
    As the great and wise @DBX would say, "If ya aint got thick skin, you may as well go on back home."

Seeker, herbay870 and OMRebel like this.
  29. OMRebel

Blog Posts:
    Sweet! I've got permission for following week too, so I'll work on making that one

herbay870 likes this.
  30. Luzster

Luzster Of course your opinion matters, just not to me... Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Ok, so if someone from say....Florida....wanted to attend this meet up, but doesn't have a canoe/kayak....how would he go about arrange this? And, if he were to be coming from the Pensacola area, bout how far of a drive is it? Just trying to check the logistics on making this one at the moment.

I'm good with gear, self-sustainment, no pets, no issue with helping with camp chores, etc. Might have my 9 year old son with me though.

31. OMRebel

Blog Posts:
    About 7 hours according to google maps. Looooong way, but we'd love to have you. There are canoe rental places. @Forestree has offered to loan one as well. If you make the drive I'll get it for you if it is still available.

Forestree, saustin1967 and Luzster like this.
  32. saustin1967

Blog Posts:
    Speaking of @Forestree , how much you want for that skiff?

33. saustin1967

Blog Posts:
    Looking at Google maps, I am going to recon, we are not going straight on 2168 past the BIG house, to launch. Taking the second left to the beach area?

34. Luzster

Blog Posts:
    I'd appreciate that. would just have to find a meet up place to park the truck and such I guess. I'll let you know as soon as I can if I can make this one or not. Tried to make y'alls last one but things just didn't work out.

Seeker, Forestree and OMRebel like this.
  35. Forestree

Forestree Treeforest Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    It's a 16' Dagger Reflection with a royalex hull, new seats and yoke.....used but still a dang fine boat. I'll take $200 for it. There is one other person who is interested but they aren't sure at this point.

OMRebel likes this.
  36. Luzster

Blog Posts:
    Check you PMs Mr. Forestree!!

OMRebel and Forestree like this.
  37. saustin1967

Blog Posts:
    I’ll take it.
    If OMRebel can pick it up, I will haul it home.
    Will still bring my old town, so we will have spare seats.
    PayPal?

Forestree and OMRebel like this.
  38. Luzster

Blog Posts:
    Damn..... beat me to it. Hope it serves you well man!

OMRebel likes this.
  39. saustin1967

Blog Posts:
    Come on out to the meet, may be an Old Town Discovery available.

OMRebel and Luzster like this.
  40. Luzster

Blog Posts:
    Working on getting out there with my boy. HAve a few logistics to work out. That, and have to convince the wife that I need to go, not just want to go.... ya know!?!

Thinking the OTD is gonna be way outta my price range tho...

OMRebel likes this.
  41. saustin1967

Blog Posts:
    Might surprise ya

42. Luzster

Blog Posts:
    Alrighty then.

OMRebel likes this.
  43. herbay870

herbay870 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    So by Project, should we bring some trail busting gear? ie Machetes, limb saws, brush knives, bush hog........(JK on the bush hog...)

44. saustin1967

Blog Posts:
    You don't already bring all that stuff to camp? Thought that was standard Bushcrafting gear.

herbay870 and OMRebel like this.
  45. OMRebel

Blog Posts:
    I wouldn't go to too heavy, a Bacho type folding saw, maybe a machete. It shouldn't be too far from the point to the road and if turns out to be too thick, we'll wait until it cools off more. I'm thinking more of a scout and see project.

Seeker, herbay870 and saustin1967 like this.
  46. herbay870

herbay870 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Well I was gauging whether to bring the standard set, or the heavy duty set. My friend that I am bringing is a bit of an ox, give him an ax and point, you would have a trail in no time......LOL

OMRebel, saustin1967 and Luzster like this.
  47. Luzster

Blog Posts:
    Ssoooooo... not going to make this one guys. Sorry.

Momma had other plans for us that weekend. IF I were to go to the meet up, that would ruin her plans....and y'all know the whole happy wife, happy life thing....

Hopefully I'll make one over there soon!

saustin1967 and OMRebel like this.
  48. Craazyhoss

Craazyhoss Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:

OMRebel likes this.
  49. Craazyhoss

Craazyhoss Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    thanks for the invitation but labor day is always last weekend to finish prep work at hunting lease afraid i will have to pass

OMRebel likes this.
  50. OMRebel

Blog Posts:
    Okay, we are two weeks away! Just wanted to put out a reminder and get a head count. Here is who I am tracking:
    @saustin1967
    @herbay870 (+1)
    Myself

maybes...
    @Seeker (?)
    @Xiled (?)

Invitation is still open for all interested.

saustin1967 likes this.