Louisiana Meetup

Discussion in 'Louisiana' started by OMRebel, Jul 30, 2018.

1. saustin1967

saustin1967 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Seeker is a maybe? Guess I will leave his gift at home then!

2. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    @OMRebel, per earlier conversation, I am definitely "out"... sorry.

saustin1967 and OMRebel like this.
  3. herbay870

herbay870 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Is there a park fee, or any fee I should be ready for?

4. OMRebel

OMRebel Meanderer of the Piney Woods Supporter Hardwoodsman Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    No, it is on national forest land and it is kind of out of the way. Sometimes there is a group of folks who camp off that point, but our vehicles will be safe. Do you know about when you will be there? I can meet you at a store somewhere and you can follow me in. I would like to get in about 10 am on Friday.

5. saustin1967

Blog Posts:

I had planned on being there around 1100, but, SWMBO’s car need to go to the shop that Friday morning, so it will probably be some time after lunch.

6. Miles7

Miles7 Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    I’m very interested in attending. I have a kayak and I’m local. I’ll watch the thread for a meeting time and location to paddle from.

OMRebel likes this.
  7. OMRebel

OMRebel Meanderer of the Piney Woods Supporter Hardwoodsman Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I'll add you to the PM which has a map. We'd love to have you!

Miles7 likes this.
  8. herbay870

herbay870 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    If you are going to be there at 10am, I will do my damnedest to be there at that time. I am still waiting to see if my partner is going to get that day off....... If for some reason he doesn't, we will be there the next day. I will know more soon.

saustin1967 and OMRebel like this.
  9. herbay870

herbay870 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I spoke to my buddy yesterday, and he says he is a go for Friday. If we leave BR around 7am that should put us in the vicinity around 10ish. We will have a small truck with a trailer with 2 canoes. (He and I are a little much for one...........and gear......¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ) I guess we can settle on a place to meet in the next few days. My # is 225-202-3079.

OMRebel likes this.
  10. Blu

Blu Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Once again, you guys throw a trip together when I have a camping trip lined up already. Have fun and take some pictures.

OMRebel likes this.
  11. saustin1967

Blog Posts:
    Looking at the 10 Day forecast, might be a little Soggy Bottom boys action going on, bring your rain gear.

Seeker and OMRebel like this.
  12. OMRebel

Blog Posts:
    I was looking at that too, and maybe it'll bring the temp down. I do think it will be limited, but we need to be prepared. I'll have an extra tarp for day use. If anyone has an extra one to add to it that would give extra room.

13. OMRebel

Blog Posts:
    Just a few more days! It is not too late for anyone else to join us. So far, I am tracking the following as coming:

@saustin1967
    @herbay870 (+1)
    @Xiled
    @me (LOL)
    @Miles7 (?)

Recapping some of the suggested activities: scoping out a trail for hike-ins (about 1/3 mile due south from camp); fishing; make a gravity coal water filter; swimming; sitting around the fire drinking coffee (my favorite!)

If any of you guys have a particular skill you would like to share we'd love to learn. We can work on fire craft and maybe some land navigation (Hmm, hmm, Saustin1967...) or anything else of interest.

Did I mention it is not too late for others to join..?

herbay870 likes this.
  14. herbay870

herbay870 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    OOOhhh! Land Nav! Sweet!!!

I do have a question, I know from previous posts and guidance, that most of you "carry". I do as well, but I am wondering if there is any shooting? I was not planning on it, nor asking too, but I just wanted to understand what is expected.

I will also bring some fire craft wood to try, going to try to get a coal from Hackberry.......

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
    OMRebel likes this.
  15. OMRebel

Blog Posts:
    I will have a pistol on me and may take a few practice rounds. My son will likely bring his .22 and do some target practice. We have a little area that is safe for shooting if you'd like.

I haven't used Hackberry, so very interested in seeing that used. I'll bring some yucca and maybe some other stuff. If we get bold enough, there is some stuff there to make cordage with so we could go full primitive with it.

herbay870 likes this.
  16. saustin1967

Blog Posts:
    It is legal to shoot in the National forests. I believe we will be in the Sabine NF

here is a post where @Hammbone did the research for us.

USFS Answers

by Hammbone » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:57 am

Sent an email to the USFS last night to get some answers. Just thought I'd share. I only asked about Sam Houston, Angelina, Davy Crockett and Sabine forests.

1. Can I gather firewood for campfires? If so, dead standing trees or wood on the ground only?
    Yes
    2. Dispersed camping - Can I build a campfire on the ground if I camp outside the designated campgrounds?
    Yes
    3. Can I build a campfire on the ground in the WMA areas?
    Yes
    4. At one time, there was a homemade shooting range in Sam Houston. Are there any available still. . . in any of the forests?
    No. All of Sam Houston is a WMA so target practice is not allowed by the state.
    5. Can I make a small shooting range in the forests? Of course, I would leave no trace and following the current firearms rules.
    You may in the Davy Crockett, Angelina and Sabine
    6. I have a CHL. . .can I carry in the forests and WMA's?
    Yes
    7. I plan on purchasing a hunting permit for the forests. Along with my hunting rifle, can I carry a handgun?
    Yes
    8. Are there any National Forests that allow dispersed camping during hunting seasons?
    No. Camping is only permitted at designated hunting camps (shown on the attached maps) and recreation areas during hunting season.

herbay870 likes this.
  17. OMRebel

Blog Posts:
    Speaking of @Hammbone where is he hiding at?

18. saustin1967

Blog Posts:
    Family issues - think his mom has been sick. Have not heard form him in a while.

19. herbay870

herbay870 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I haven't made cordage in a while, that sounds like fun!!!

The only long gun I would consider bringing, is me CVA Hawken .50 cal. It could use a sighting in. but otherwise, Ill just have my SR45, I wasn't planning on shooting it unless someone wanted to try it out. then I could bring some target rounds.

OMRebel likes this.
  20. saustin1967

Blog Posts:
    What? You probably know more Land Nav that I do. I do have a cope of Topo maps printed fro that area. It actually covers two maps to get it all. I will bring my book and compasses.

OMRebel and herbay870 like this.
  21. OMRebel

Blog Posts:
    If you can bring the maps that would be great! We can tag team it, I love some land nav!

herbay870 and saustin1967 like this.
  22. Blu

Blu Tracker

Blog Posts:
    speaking of maps. I use CalTopo for all my mapping needs. Find what area you want, hit the print screen button on your keyboard, open paint, paste, edit size, print. I just print it on card stock at about 5"x8" and then run it though the lamination machine. Try this link, it should get you close to where yall are going.

https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=31.14435,-93.61974&z=14&b=t

herbay870 and OMRebel like this.
  23. saustin1967

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, I just got to USGS map store and down load the PDF, I have a 44 inch plotter in my office.

Blu, herbay870 and OMRebel like this.
  24. saustin1967

Blog Posts:
    Will do. Have a couple of each map printed already.

herbay870 and OMRebel like this.
  25. Miles7

Miles7 Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    OK, I'm in, all permissions obtained.:) I've gotten all of my camping gear out and went through it so hopefully I will only forget a few things.
    Let me know if there is anything that I need to bring for the group. I'm limited on actual bushcraft gear, this is something I'm just getting into.
    I've went and found the put-it point but I will plan to meet at the store just to make sure.
    Just so that everyone that hasn't been here before is aware, when I was at the put-it point there was very little to no cell service with AT&T, not sure about other carriers.

OMRebel likes this.
  26. OMRebel

Blog Posts:
    That's awesome! Don't worry about bringing anything for the group, just what you need to be comfortable and have fun. You are are right about the phone service though and while there may be a bar or two at the drop off point it only gets worse where we are going. As a reminder, I have put my phone number on the PM as well as a location of where we will meet. Don't hesitate to call if you have any questions or run behind.

27. saustin1967

Blog Posts:
    What are ya missing? I probably have 4 of them. Let me know.

Young Blacksmith likes this.
  28. Miles7

Miles7 Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Thanks, I think I’m good on general camping gear.

OMRebel likes this.