1. Due to the amount of SPAM from foreign countries lately, we have made the decision to manually approve all new members. While we regret that this must be done and the added time that it will take for new members to be approved, it is necessary at this time. We hope to have legitimate new members approved in a timely manner, no longer than a couple of hours. If the Administrators are online at the time, it can be as soon as a couple of minutes. Thank you for your patience.
    Dismiss Notice

Lowa Renegade GTX Boots & Zion National Park

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by junglas, Oct 11, 2017.

1. junglas

junglas Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hey guys! I went on some epic hikes in Zion National Park in Utah. This video has footage of Angels Landing, probably the most beautiful hike I've ever been on. In the video I review the boots my girlfriend and I wore on our hiking vacation in Utah. Lowas aren't cheap, but they performed well and were very comfortable. It's hard finding women's hiking boots that come in wide sizes, but Lowa offers it. We hiked for days and had no issues.

+Gore-Tex, waterproof and breathable
    +wide sizes
    +stability
    +good traction
    +comfortable

-some people mentioned they don't last long. Through my personal experience, if you take care of your gear it'll take care of you. I never leave boots in the car to bake in the hot sun. I clean dirt and mud off them after use because the bud could dry the leather. I pick out the pebbles that get logged in between the lugs on the out sole. Just some real basic stuff and haven't had issues with any quality boots.

2. blind & lost

blind & lost Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Very nice video, wife and I were in Zion in early August. I wouldn't be able to do that hike, no mountain feet, but it looks awesome. Zion was a totally impressive place. Thanks for taking us along.

junglas and pilsburythrowboy12 like this.
  3. pilsburythrowboy12

pilsburythrowboy12 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Just an FYI from an owner of them exact boots. They are not meant for those who have high arches as the dorsal side (top) of your foot will get the dreaded throbbing tight lace pain as the current Salomon Quest 4D II boots also do for me. I’ve scoured the world over for the first generation Salomon Quest 4D GTX’s in the non military variants w/ the metal eyelets because of this exact issue since they were purposely built with the over built tongue (reduced for aesthetics) and aggressive forward lean on the collar. I still use the Renegades for everything they were not meant to be used for in that I use them as cool & foul weather boots to walk urban environments in my daily travels which don’t require tying them at full tension.

junglas, blind & lost and Ragman like this.
  4. Ragman

Ragman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    20 years of hiking and the only boots that work for me are the Renegades, I've been through half a dozen pairs.
    I lost a couple of pairs in the beginning due to neglect.
    Besides your mentioned maintenance, use a leather conditioner on them once or twice a year.
    That made all the difference in there longevity. There leather seems to dry out pretty fast.
    Another weakness are all those seems. I ripped through a pair in Four months while finishing the ADK 46er's.
    They pretty much fell apart, granted it was some rugged terrain, who cares their comfort are unbeatable.
    Cheers

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  5. junglas

junglas Tracker

Blog Posts:
    @blind & lost Thanks for commenting brother! I'm with you, Zion is such a beautiful place. You can't take a bad hike anywhere in the park. They have beautiful hikes for everyone.m Where did you stay when you visited Zion? We had a Air BnB about 15 outside the main gate, next time I really want to camp inside the park.

@pilsburythrowboy12 Thanks for sharing your insight on the boots. It's good that you have it all figured out and found a pair that works. Thanks for sharing your insight!

@Ragman good tip with the leather conditioner! thanks for reminding me brother! I agree with ya, they're really comfortable. I think that's the main takeaway from all the reviews i read on REI's website. I'm going to be like you and stay with this model.

Ragman and blind & lost like this.
  6. blind & lost

blind & lost Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    We stayed in a small resort area, Duck Creek Village, UT, up in the mountains. We kind of used that area as a base camp for some of the national parks in the area. If we are ever that way again, Zion would be on the short list. It is a beautiful place.

junglas likes this.
  7. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Another Renegade user. It's my hiking boot as well as my everyday wear. I've worn the insoles out, but other than that they're holding up great. I just need to retreat the waterproofing.

8. vdeal

vdeal Scout

Blog Posts:
    I went through a pair of Renegades and while they were decent boots there were two issues that kept me from buying another pair. The worst issue was that they have a small toebox - my toes were always getting scrunched up in them. The second was the number of seams and how they both wore out right beside the ball of my foot. When they died I finally found a boot that worked for me - the Asolo Triumph GV.

9. junglas

junglas Tracker

Blog Posts:
    @Usingmyrights what are you using to waterproof them? I plan on using SnoSeal

@vdeal Sorry to hear that brother, I'm glad you found something that works for you. My gf had to try on 8 boots until she finally settled on the Lowas.

10. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    @junglas I haven't yet,but Nikiwax makes a shoe conditioner that I plan on using.

junglas likes this.