LWL TR No. 68-10 Trail Cutting Machete

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by rescout, May 15, 2018.

1. rescout

rescout Scout

Blog Posts:
    http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/672483.pdf

I accidentally found the attached army Technical Report produced in the middle of the Vietnam War. It’s kind of interesting. My comments:

• The Army had a “Limited Warfare Laboratory” or LWL. I wonder what kind of machete the “All Out Warfare Laboratory” would have produced.

• Compare the quality and approach of this document to those produced today. It is relatively brief and sticks to the facts.

• Apparently the genesis of this effort was the fact that the GI machete was a bit much for jungle trail cutting, and GI’s were altering them to be lighter.

• It has a square tip and a long unsharpened “ricasso” or “throat” (for an extra hand grasp area) with digging in mind. The field unit recommended a larger cutting edge; one could infer they preferred more cutting edge over “improved” digging ability.

• The shape looks kind of like the British Army pattern.

• The LWL wasn’t afraid to try new things (chisel grind combined with tungsten carbide coating, a tungsten carbide plated steel sharpener, and a new scabbard), and also wasn’t afraid to discard those that didn’t work out, or to accept user criticism.

• They sent machetes out to a unit engaged in the field for their feedback. It reminds me of the Boards the frontier West army used to evaluate equipment.

• The operating instructions were one sheet long. It would probably take a field manual today.
    LWL.JPG

2. 62flint

62flint Scout

Blog Posts:
    Agent Orange

MrFixIt and unclebead like this.
  3. crewhead05

crewhead05 caffeine, nicotine, knives and nature. Lifetime Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Thats cool. Thanks for posting it. Now off to my searches to see if i can find one.

savage99nc and MrFixIt like this.
  4. MadMarcus

MadMarcus Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Neat history but I wonder if they knew that they "invented" a good ol Martindale golock?

savage99nc, crewhead05 and MrFixIt like this.