Lyman Trade Rifle

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Back Off, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Back Off

Back Off Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Hi all,

I am just sitting here cleaning this beautiful peace of steel, brass and wood. I have yet to shoot this one and cant wait. I am kind of thinking staying traditional here with no sabots, just round ball or conical's. I was thinking of leaving it as is then taking the first deer that I kill with it (harvest if your offended by kill) and make a nice gun case, sling and possibles bag out of the hide. I dont think I will tan it myself but I think it would be cool to keep this one traditional. I have owned several but all plastic stock and migrated to inline so here I am going back in time and loving it. I feel out of place with a Mora Garberg as my main hunting knife with this one so probable going to go old school there as well. I have been hunting with black powder off an on for over 20 years and this is my 6th one that I owned. My wife is still shooting her little T/C treehawk that was the first one I ever bought. I bought a Silver Hawk from T/C in .54. Traded that on a T/C black Diamond in .50 cal, hated that and got the Winchester X150 in .45 cal made by CVA. My son now has that one. I found another T/C Treehawk for my daughter. The Tree Hawks are both .50 cal's. This Lyman Tradesman is a .54. I am seriously thinking of taking a week off during the black powder season and just camping out solo and still hunting with this. Should be fun!

19764605_125379121400220_6348131254566649856_n(1).jpg

2. akbound

akbound Guide

Blog Posts:
    Nice rifle! I like your hunting/camping idea, sounds like a enjoyable way to do it.

Back Off, central joe and pab1 like this.
  3. Bent Chile

Bent Chile Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Very nice rifle. I have a GPR in 54 and love it. 80-90 grains powder and PRB will take an elk no problem so no need for sabots or Conicals for deer.On my smoke poles it's got to be wood,blu steel and brass or iron, no plastic or synthetics. Good luck, enjoy and be safe. Jim

4. 62flint

62flint Scout

Blog Posts:
    Congratulations on the new rifle. Patched roundball over real blackpowder will get it done. I've come to prefer flintlocks, but still have some percussion as well. One of those is a TC Tree Hawk, but mine is 12ga.

5. Polecat

Polecat Polecat in a Poke

Blog Posts:
    Cool, man. :D I have a Williams peep sight on mine. I shoot 110gr Goex FFg under a .54 Hornady 425gn HBHP. Surprisingly accurate gun, even without a set trigger. :D

I haven't killed a whole lot with mine, though. Muzzleloading season is so short here. I blink and miss it. :/

I think these are great guns for a one-muzzleloader guy. They have that intermediate twist that makes them shoot ok with both minieballs and roundballs.

6. pab1

pab1 Supporter Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Looks good! Good choice on going with a .54 caliber! I have a few Lyman GPRs (all .54s) and love them. I use them for both big and small game/grouse with patched round balls. I do prefer the slower twist of the GPR. I've had several guns that gave very good accuracy with 1:48 twist using a prb.

Back Off and central joe like this.
  7. Grizzly Dave

Grizzly Dave Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have an Early Lancaster flinter made by Mark Francis McGee using mostly Jim Chambers parts, a Rice barrel and it has taken a couple of deer.
    I got Mark to do a refit a while back remove the browning and fix the lock on the patchbox, things of that nature, but haven't had it out since then.
    I love the smell of real black powder and have never used Goex.
    I am reading a book about Nessmuk's letters, who shot a Billinghurst muzzle-loader and I notice his underlying contempt for sportsmen who use cartridge guns. I also found out that he packed a pistol, which I did not know.
    The book is called Canoeing the Adirondacks with Nessmuk edited by Dan Brennan and published by the Adirondack Museum and the ISBN is 0-8156-2594-4 if anyone wants to read more about him. I find him a fascinating person and this book reveals a lot more of who he was.
    Sorry if I got off on a tangent.
    That is a fine looking rifle Back Off and I think it is great that all of your family shoot and hunt with coal burners,

Griz

Back Off, central joe and pab1 like this.
  8. pab1

Blog Posts:
    Do you mean Pyrodex? Goex makes real black powder.

Back Off and central joe like this.
  9. Grizzly Dave

Grizzly Dave Tracker

Blog Posts:
    You are right I must be tired

central joe and pab1 like this.
  10. central joe

central joe Guide

Blog Posts:
    Nice looking rifle young fellar. joe

Back Off and pab1 like this.
  11. tranders

tranders Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I respect what the modern inlines are capable of doing, but I still prefer the traditional style of muzzle loaders.
    Nice rifle!!

12. Back Off

Back Off Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the reply's, I almost got the GPR.

pab1 likes this.
  13. pab1

Blog Posts:
    I bet you will eventually. Lymans Trade Rifle reminds me of T/Cs Renegade which I started out on years ago. Nothing wrong with either gun but once I picked up a GPR my Renegade got ignored. GPRs are about as close to the original plains rifles as you'll find in a production gun. I have 3 percussion and a flint (all .54) and they're all very accurate guns.

If you get one I recommend changing the sights. I didn't care for either the adjustable or the primitive sights that come with them. IMO you'll get better accuracy (and better looks) with the right replacement sights. Other than that I've been very happy with them. Their slow rate of twist makes them extremely accurate with both light and heavier charges of Goex FF and FFF. All of mine like .530 balls with .018 (blue stripe) pillow ticking using Trappers Pure Mink Oil from Track of the Wolf for lube.

I recommend building one of their kits. You can easily modify and personalize them. I built a Lyman Plains Pistol and a GPR, both in .54 cal. I made some changes to the GPRs stock to more closely resemble original plains rifles as shown in Charles E Hanson Jrs book The Plains Rifle. I also reduced the huge check swell they come with stock. Out of my GPRs the one I built is my favorite.

gila_dog and Back Off like this.
  14. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot Guide

Blog Posts:
    I also have a 54 LTR as well as two T/C Renegades one in 50 and other is 54. I haven't used them in years. But I love the classic lines. One lives over my TV one over the front entrance and one in down stairs family room.

Beautiful guns that usually shoot great too!

CW

Back Off likes this.
  15. gila_dog

gila_dog BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Nice rifle. Good luck with it. I have an old TC 50 cal Hawken that's killed several deer and elk, but I just had to upgrade to an inline. So I bought a TC Black Diamond. Like you I didn't like it. It was impossible to keep the primer dry in wet weather and it was a big PITA to take it apart and clean it. Now I have a TC Omega and so far I really like it (I will get a chance to kill a bull elk with it in Oct). But I still love the old Hawken.

pab1, Cwlongshot and Back Off like this.
  16. Kimber22

Kimber22 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Omaha/Council Bluffs and now it's Albuquerque!
    You drew a tag?! I tried but didn't get anything. The local guys thought that was strange an out of stater not getting drawn. They said it would be almost automatic. Oh well. I'm going up to SW Colorado for cow elk archery with some guys from the Isleta Pueblo. Gonna see how Mrs reacts to being that close to an elk! Should be interesting.

pab1 and gila_dog like this.