M1 Carbine

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by R Stowe, Sep 4, 2019.

1. akbound

akbound Guide

Blog Posts:
    I like that photo, any idea where/circumstances that it was taken; (Israel for example)?

2. USMCPOP

USMCPOP Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Back in 1979/80, I saw hundreds of Hmong refugees along the bank of the Mekong river in Thailand one morning. They had just escaped Laos and looked like wild men. Thai police/soldiers were lining them up. There was a very large pile of rifles next to the road. Must have been a couple hundred. Looked like mostly M1 carbines.

savage99nc and Oldyeller like this.
  3. Oldyeller

Oldyeller Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for sharing, I wasn't even alive until 83 so that's a era I missed.Ever since I saw Clint Eastwoods Gran Torino I've always been curious about the Hmong, Tony Poe, etc.

savage99nc and USMCPOP like this.
  4. DKR

DKR Guide

Blog Posts:
    Indeed, it is.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

many tourist find the practice...amazing. I guess they don't understand the reason behind the carry of a PDW.

akbound, Cwlongshot and savage99nc like this.
  5. USMCPOP

USMCPOP Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I worked in Thailand for about 1.5 years helping to interview refugees for resettlement in the USA after my 2 years in the Peace Corps. I mostly worked in and out of the Hmong camp in Loei province, up close to the Mekong river. They are a very tough and, at times, hard-headed people. Other ethnic groups are a bit different. I occasionally worked beside Jerry Daniels, who had been a CIA operative in Laos. I've been in contact with two other people who were undercover operatives of some sort.

In addition to memories, I have a number of souvenirs, including Hmong knives, embroidery and simple jewelry. I didn't learn much of the language, but I can ask someone "What's your name?" and which "clan" the come from.

savage99nc likes this.
  6. Prairiewolf

Prairiewolf Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Years ago, I had a Universal .30 Carbine. I really enjoyed shooting it, and reloaded ammo for it with no problems. After a while, though, the Uni had some mechanical problems and I ended up trading it for a Mini 14. I would love to get a modern repro version like the Inland Mfg. version. The main criticism of the Carbine was always the lack of stopping power with the FMJ RN round. With expanding ammo, it becomes a pretty formidable short-range weapon. It always seemed to me that it could be a very effective rural home defender that could be easily operated by family members of various sizes.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    FreeMe and savage99nc like this.
  7. akbound

akbound Guide

Blog Posts:
    Thank you for your response!

We are fortunate, as Americans to live in a country such as ours, and many Americans fail to appreciate that fact! For those of us that have spent time out of this country, and also see the world as it really is, and not like idealist wished it were, life can sometimes be jarringly shocking.

Another unfortunate reality is that life in this country is also changing to reflect some of those harsh realities. And it is likely time for us to admit it as a society and begin making “effective” changes to our behavior. When the Israels began taking effective countermeasures (such as trained, armed teachers and trained citizens carrying rifles openingly in public) it reduced the number of terrorist incidents in those venues, (and more rapidly terminated other attacks with a considerable savings of innocent life). Yes, the terrorists were forced to change tactics and then resumed attacks, but the numbers and effectiveness of said attacks were reduced. Maybe even more to the point though, is that the terrorists were only forced to change their tactics after the Israels adopted effective countermeasures; not wishful thinking!

By the way, apologies to the original poster for deflecting subject/comments on this thread.

P.S. By the way, the M-1 Carbine is nearly ideally applied as seen in these situations, (the above photos).

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  8. Glenn Rowe

Glenn Rowe . Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Done it. Love it.

The Blackhawk has a 7.5-inch barrel and is a lot of fun to shoot. The carbine is an early-1945 Winchester that had been around the block (perhaps the world) before I bought it. It's been re-barreled at least once, and is a consistent performer. It almost qualifies as a "black rifle" because the furniture has grown really dark over the decades! ;)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    xRangerx likes this.
  9. Taz575

Taz575 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have this Underwood with a mix of parts, including a Choate mini 30 flash hider mounted on a shortened barrel so the barrel length is 16.5" to the end of the flashhider, metal handguard and glossy finished checkered stock. Would love to know the story behind this one!
    m2.jpg

savage99nc and FreeMe like this.
  10. Don Robison

Don Robison Seeker of Knowledge Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Nice little guns, 357mag type ballistics with soft points in a compact package.

savage99nc likes this.
  11. NORKALNIMROD

NORKALNIMROD Scout

Blog Posts:
    Outstanding little weapon. Reliable, light, user friendly and though many “experts “ call it anemic, there are countless thousands of dead that indicate different.

NORKAL

savage99nc likes this.
  12. PERRO

PERRO Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts: