Made in Chian (probably)

Discussion in 'Packs, Bags & Pouches' started by Bad_Neighbor, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Bad_Neighbor

Bad_Neighbor Tracker

Blog Posts:
    So I was backpack hunting yesterday with a clear idea of what I wanted. I’m seeing a lot of these maxpedition rigs y’all got and the most beautiful ones are forest green. You know what I’m talking about, that vibrant green color! I looked on the maxpedition website and the only thing they have is a dingy grayish olive drab. Depressing. I’m wondering if this is just bad lighting and bad photography and the product is actually the color I want irl. I guess they stopped making falcon 3’s in that color. Also, I don’t want to pay $200 for a backpack. So I hopped over to Amazon to find a bright green molle backpack. Some of the top rated packs were exactly the color I was looking for. And way cheaper! For about $40 you can get a great quality (5 stars) heavy duty molle backpack just as beautiful as a maxpedition falcon 3.

This pack by a company called SunsionPro: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KS1PP6B/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_GMauDb5ZDA27S
    (Notice the little leather brand name tag on the bottom of the bag)

But then I noticed something strange but not surprising. While surfing through the customer pics in the reviews section I noticed the backpacks had a different brand name tag called LeisonTac. So I did a brand name search and found THE EXACT SAME BAG with a different tag, big surprise there.

So it’s obvious these are made in China replicants but the reviews are all amazingly positive. Could a $40 pack be all you’ve ever dreamed of? What do y’all think? I’m gonna buy one anyway and I’m gonna rock a “no step on snek” patch on the back. Love y’all

2. Cachersquirrel

Cachersquirrel Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Ranger Green has a grey element to it and is a color used for some modern US military requirments. OD or Olive Drab green is that type of green you're looking for and is the old school color. There will also be some variations, but green doesn't automatically mean green.

I've bought a $40 copy back in the day. Buckles broke, stitching wore through and broke sooner.

JeffG and M.Hatfield like this.
  3. woodsranger

woodsranger Solitude Seeker

Blog Posts:
    Condor makes some too for a little more:

https://www.amazon.com/Condor-Assau...i=B004VRKWR4&refRID=EYD3B6B5YB2E6KK02894&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Condor-Compa...=condor+three,sporting,158&sr=1-17&th=1&psc=1

They both say "olive drab" but look at the picture of the olive drab on the second link. It's bright green, not olive drab! You can't always go by photos on line. Olive drab is just that..drab...it's not a bright, intense green. The photo in the second link has had the saturation jacked up.

NevadaBlue likes this.
  4. Woodcarver

Woodcarver Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Get the Maxpedition, you will be way happier in the long run. The build quality is heavy duty and the materials are first class. Those knockoff packs can't compare ( trust me I've owned a few). Remember you get what you pay for and buy once, cry once. Good luck.

woodsranger likes this.
  5. Cascadian

Cascadian Guide

Blog Posts:
    Plus they have a great slogan:

"Cheap, and built to stay that way."

woodsranger and NevadaBlue like this.
  6. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    If you like it, buy it. I have quite a bit of ‘oriental’ gear and almost all of it is just fine. I do have some Maxpedition equipment and most all of the Chinese canvas gear I have measures up nicely. I do go over each new piece and singe any loose threads or edges. Even the Max stuff has some of those.

7. JeffG

JeffG Guide

Blog Posts:
  8. jpoe88

jpoe88 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    This is 5 years old, and has had pliers against it, oil and God knows what. It used to be Khaki..

Attached Files:

NevadaBlue likes this.
  9. CamoDeafie82

CamoDeafie82 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Theres some confusion on colors here, not helped by companies making these things...

The old Olive Drab as we see on USGI canvas items, a darker green, also used on ALICE gear, but a lighter shade came out for M1967 gear, it is not really the same Olive Drab color. Be warned, a newer shade came out for ALICE pouches, mostly seen on SAW and 2qt canteen pouches, some 1qts, its a blueish green shade.
    Regarding coloring on 1000D Cordura; there's the following shades;
    Camo Green (same as the MOLLE woodland webbing); very similar to the Tactical Tailor green used on their vests and pouches, most newer "Olive Green" items are actually this color.
    Ranger Green very recent color, its military, and does indeed look more brownish gray.
    Foliage Green very much an ACU color, some fabrics come in this color, it is the more grayish tone seen on ACU webbing, however other companies call it Wolf Gray, it is not a bad shade when combined with coyote tan or brown.

olive #7 older ALICE webbing and fabric color; might be hard to find in Cordura, but easier in Pack Cloth nylons.

There are other shades used by differnt companies, I believe that Mil Spec Monkey website had good pages on the variety of "greens"

Edit. Heres a couple colors I've seen locally.

Hunter Green; very much a forest green; just as green as the paint in this color.. mostly seen on Jansport school bags, but also seen on some heavier hiking backpacks and the like, in all weights of nylon fabric, including Cordura

Forest Green similar to above, but in a more blueish tone, more familiar color seen on civilian packs and the like from the 1980s, my 1980s? 10th MTN ruck clone is in this shade

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  10. OhCanada

OhCanada Scout

Blog Posts:
    There are American companies that make their own gear (Tactical Tailor, Wiggys, etc) but it can be out of many people's price range. Then there are American companies that used to make their gear but then contracted it out to other countries WITHOUT passing the savings on to the buyer (Carhartt, Woolrich, etc). And like you have found, there are many companies and non-companies (don't even have a store or factory, merely buys stuff from China that you yourself could buy from the same Chinese company) that sell the same flashlight, knife, pack, etc., with their own name slapped on it.

I've had some decent stuff from China that was good enough for me and worked just as well as some North Face made in Vietnam. Taiwan makes decent things; but remember the prefered country of these companies change as the cost of production gets higher. Japan, no let's make it in China, no China is getting expensive, let's make it is Vietnam...5 years later, India is pretty cheap right now.

11. outkastblast

outkastblast Scout

Blog Posts:
    I don't have any experience with this pack, but would caution on reviews on Amazon in general. I've purchased stuff from some of the Chinese made resellers in the past, and nearly all of them have offered incentives to leave a POSITIVE review in exchange for either a discount or free items. In fact, I ordered a small pouch for fly fishing gear from one and they later contacted me asking if I'd like to review some trekking poles which they would send me free of charge. I accepted, used them, and left an honest review that wasn't favorable. They did not like that.

Midwest.Bushlore likes this.
  12. Midwest.Bushlore

Midwest.Bushlore Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Hill People Gear, too! They don't do their own sewing but it's done for them in the US by First Spear. I too am annoyed by all the formerly-American companies that now outsource everything (looking at you, Levi's!). Especially when the production cost goes down but the asking price goes up.:mad:

India is a good source for high quality, low price stainless steel. And it seems like there's some great sewing done in Viet Nam, too. From what I've heard it's possible to get really high quality stuff done in China but it takes a lot of work and time (you have to supervise and spec things tightly). It seems like almost no one is trying very hard to go for quality, they just want to cut production cost, quality be damned.

I try to read between the lines of the reviews. Some are obviously shills but just as bad are the folks that rip open the box and immediate write a review! How many times do you see "I hope I never need to use this" or "I haven't tried it yet but it seems good." Those aren't reviews! Occasionally I'll do a review shortly after purchase but it's not uncommon for me to use something for years before writing a review.

13. Cascadian

Cascadian Guide

Blog Posts:
    Hahaha ... even the thread title is poorly built.

;)

14. Cascadian

Cascadian Guide

Blog Posts:
    I jest, of course.