Made Some Charcloth

Discussion in 'General Bushcraft Discussion' started by CosmicJoke, Aug 10, 2019.

1. CosmicJoke

CosmicJoke Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    We had a hike planned, but things got in the way. So we put it off until tomorrow.

I got a little bored, so I decided to try my hand at making charcloth on the gas grill. I am not going to lie here, I watched this done on YouTube and honestly didn't think it would work. I was wrong. It does actually work.

Sorry, I don't have pics, but I did film most of making it. In about an hour I am going to get a fire going in our pit, and try using the charcloth, some grass clippings that are dried from a week or so ago for the birds nest, and my knife and a ferro rod for a spark. I now this method is more for flint and steel, but I do not have those items, so I am just going with what I have.

The hair on my right arm was just starting to grow back from last weeks fire LOL. No better time then tonight to burn it off again o_O.

2. Coyote Charlie

Coyote Charlie MOA #63, Roughian #88 Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I had the same thought about making charcloth with an alcohol stove but was pleased to see it work. Just got to get the temperature up high enough with limited oxygen. Looking forward to the video.

3. S.Decker

S.Decker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I made some on a hot plate, once. ( OUTSIDE ) Makes it real easy to control the temperature.

4. will62

will62 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have made charcloth on the gas grill before.

5. mongo

mongo Scout

Blog Posts:
    Only made it once, and in a huge quantity.... still have some. Used denim from cut off shorts legs... Altoids tin on a camp fire. Worked fantastic.

6. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    It is awesome to make. What a rush the first time I made it, and it worked. :)

7. jswi2374

jswi2374 Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Just remember that char cloth absorbs moisture. Fresh is best or keep it in a sealed bag.
    Try chatting natural materials for extra fun!

8. Lee C.

Lee C. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Many many years ago I made some. Inside the house. In kitchen. Char cloth came out great, but the kitchen stunk (stank?) for a long while....

MrFixIt, Bobsdock, M.Hatfield and 5 others like this.
  9. CosmicJoke

Blog Posts:
    Charcloth came out fine, using it with the grass birds nest, not so much. Burned my thump trying, got pi$$3D off and used a feather stick. I was going to bleep the f bomb out of the video, but left it in. Pretty sure many folks will get a good laugh at my attempt though. LOL

Just need to work more on the birds nest with charcloth. Still had fun and a fire so it's all good in my book.

10. CosmicJoke

Blog Posts:
    So here's the video. I'm OK with poking fun at me for this one. I did my best but had a fail, and I am OK with that fail. At least I tried.

MrFixIt and RangerWeaver like this.
  11. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead LB#42 Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I would not call it a fail.
    I would call it a learning experience.

CosmicJoke likes this.
  12. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead LB#42 Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Just watched the video.
    You needed more shavings/feathers and finer kindling (think pencil lead sized wood, then pencil sized wood).
    You did persevere and get the fire.
    Keep practicing my friend, you are on that threshold.

CosmicJoke likes this.
  13. CosmicJoke

Blog Posts:
    I try to never give up. I usually have smaller kindling, I really just wasn't in the mood to do much on Saturday, but forced myself to try something different. I learned a few things for sure.

I never did add any shavings to that nest ( doh! :34: ), I have to remember to do that next time. The odd part was the featherstick igniting. It cannot be seen from the camera angle, but the charcloth actually did get the featherstick burning.

MrFixIt likes this.
  14. Luke Dupont

Luke Dupont Scout

Blog Posts:
    I must obligatorily warn you not to do this, especially if your significant other is around, but:

Most of the time, I make charcloth indoors on whatever stovetop I have available. Windows open and the fan above the stove on. Heat on low. If just doing small amounts of charcloth at a time, it's easy enough to avoid smoking up the house. Be really careful not to trip any smoke detectors if you do this (which you shouldn't. But I will continue to do so ;))

CosmicJoke and MrFixIt like this.
  15. CosmicJoke

Blog Posts:
    LOL! My wife lets me be and supports my love of the outdoors, from the serious to the silly, but I don't push my luck to far. I remember making this stuff years ago over a fire and it smelled like crap, no difference making it on the grill, it stinks. I think I'll pass on treading into that uncharted area :dblthumb:. I enjoyed my little mini camps in my yard, but I really don't want to make it permanent.

Luke Dupont, MrFixIt and gohammergo like this.