Madera Outdoors sleeping bags BOGO, Wiggys Ultralight

Discussion in 'Gear Deals' started by Crusher0032, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Crusher0032

Crusher0032 Appalachian Arthfael Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've not heard of this company before and there is little info out there about them, but I am considering purchasing this deal from them and thought someone else might chime in with company info or benefit from this deal:

https://maderaoutdoor.com/collections/exclusive-promotions/products/buy-one-sleeping-bag-get-1-free

The specs for each bag is on the website on their regular catalog pages. Both are comfort rated between 40-50 degrees. 0 degree bag is 3.6 lbs, 23 degree bag is 2.45 lbs. Both list a maximum height of 7 ft and YKK zippers. They also apparently a tree for each piece of gear they sell. Really thinking hard on this one as I'm looking for something to replace my MSS intermediate cold foliage bag for backpacking, and the lighter bag seems like it would be nice.

The Wiggys ultralight is on my radar as it's on sale for $130 but not sure if it's what I want specifically for backpacking. I have one of his vests and LOVE it.
    Wiggys Link:
    https://www.wiggys.com/specials/sale-acu-marpat-ultra-light-mummy-style-sleeping-bag/

Also looking at the Big Agnes Encampment, I hate shopping for gear.......nah
    :4:

blind & lost likes this.
  2. HalM

HalM Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm a huge Wiggy's fan, trust my life to his bags when I do backcountry winter camping. While I know many folks love their down, and no question it packs up much lighter, I live in fear of being out somewhere and it getting wet.

My Wiggy's stuff, however, has gotten quite wet, and I have crawled in in my clothes, wet, and been warm in 10 min and woke the next morning totally dry and comfortable. I bring all my wet gear into my bag with me at night now and it is dry in the morning.

It doesn't pack down small, or light... no question. But I do think that his temperature ratings tend to be comfort ratings rather than 'you won't be comfortable but you probably won't die' ratings like I think some other bags use.

I just ordered my 5th Wiggy's bag yesterday, the Ultralight Boatfoot (but in the purple for $14o). Just as as spare. I also have a Nautilis, the $75 bag he has listed now (that I did surgery on, removing the hood and zippers and turning into a top-quilt), and a FTRSS Sleep System that I had him custom make me back in 1999 when he took my "make it super extra long" to heart as it is easily 8 feet long. I got a Marpat super-light that I gave to my nephew.

When I watch "Alone" and I see the segments of people shivering in their bags, or freaking out because they got their down bag wet, it blows my mind. Go into that with one of his -40 degree bags and you would never have to worry about being cold again!

And no, other than being a fan, I get nothing for saying good things about Wiggy's, including Jerry making me a top quilt despite me asking him 5 times to do it for me, much to my dismay.

Jasonacraft and blind & lost like this.
  3. Crusher0032

Crusher0032 Appalachian Arthfael Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Cheapest I can find the Nautilus on his site is $150.

blind & lost likes this.
  4. HalM

HalM Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sorry, I meant the Nautilus, comma, and the $75 bag, and....I can see the confusion. No, if the Nautilis was only $75 I'd buy a dozen of them.

blind & lost likes this.
  5. HalM

HalM Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I forgot the name of what he is calling that $75 bag so I ID'd by by price.

I have:
    1. Nautlis (since 2012)
    2. FTRSS ( or whatever his big rectangular two bag sleep system was called in 1999) custom sized and good to -40.
    3. Boat Foot Super Light 0 Degree in Purple ($140 shipped now!)
    4. Mummy Ultralight I gave to my nephew
    5. The $75 bag which is a departure as it is a much different material, is the same inside and out, is quilted, and has a hood. Turned that into a top-quilt in 15 minutes and with only a pocket knife.

Also have:
    1. Both sizes of the lamalite boots (tall and short - like the short a lot more)
    2. 2 pairs of the now discontinued pack boots (one brand new as my spares)
    3. Ducksback Lamalite Sweater (like wearing a waterproof sleeping bag for a jacket)
    4. Regular Lamalite Sweater in multicam (that my wife stole from me, so hence #3)
    5. The lobster claw mittens (Top notch)
    6. The Summer Weight Booties (Hsve not used these yet)
    7. The Insulated Water Bottle Holder (Great for winter camping)
    8. The Fishnet Underwear (these I did not love as they seemed sized very wrong to me)
    9. Sunwalkers Booties (these are a miracle for wearing around camp in cooler weather camping as just camp slippers and they are also the internals on the pack boots)
    10. Wiggy's Poncho Liner (very warm but too slippery)
    11. Wiggy's Poncho (Cannot beat this for $22.50 with another purchase)
    12. Boot Dryers (not bad)
    13. Wiggies socks in both heights. When you get them, you will say "Blister City! These cannot be comfortable!" But they are. It's asbsurd.

RIP:
    1. The Five Finger Gloves (my wife threw mine out because she thought they were too ???!!!!!). I want another pair.
    2. Smaller Mittens (see #1!!!!!)
    3. Quilt (in queen) This was so heavy and warm that I sold it because even in the dead of winter it was too warm for me, and I keep the bedroom ice cold.
    4. Water Bottle (totally unimpressed with this)

I'm sure there are a few things I forgot but that is what I recall. Basically, since 1999 when I got my first bag, I have just gotten more and more of his stuff and the more I get, the more impressed I am.

I got this last bag because Jerry is a madman, a totally hyper-focused one issue force, and my fear is that when he passes, the company may not continue on, so I wanted to build up some spares so that I would have Wiggy's Gear until the grave.

Plus, all made in the USA and free shipping now! I've made a lot of my friends into converts. Again, I feel jealous when they whip out their down patagonia swearters and see how small they pack and then I look at my bulky Wiggy's stuff... but later that night I see them shivering while I am toasty warm.

Walking Crow likes this.